Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I pledge not to buy a new Pentax branded lens until the new pricing policy is eliminated.

I will only buy new from other makers such as Sigma or Tamron.

If I do buy a Pentax branded lens it will only be used.

Grover Norquist has turned me off to 'pledges' for the rest of eternity.

04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Grover Norquist has turned me off to 'pledges' for the rest of eternity.

Sadly, I understand completely.
04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #123

I don't even NEED to pledge. If I buy two pentax lenses, it'd cost more than a d700 + 70-200. I'd switch before I bought a pentax lens.
04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #124
Veteran Member

OP, I take the pledge. I will buy only used, 3rd party or new Pentax glass if it is priced at pre 'screw U pentaxians' levels.

slackercruster

04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ABETTERDJ Quote
All of the Sigma and Tamron lenses we ever tried couldn't hold a candle to the originals. When we look at wedding photos we have done with Tamron or Sigma compared to the ones we have done with Pentax or Minolta it is embarrassing!

No, certain Sigma and Tammy lens are excellent. And some Samyangs. Not all, but you got to be choosy.
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #126
Site Supporter

Sorry, if the pricing policy allows my local camera shop to stock Pentax equipment so I can see it and touch it, I'm all for it.
04-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
No, certain Sigma and Tammy lens are excellent. And some Samyangs. Not all, but you got to be choosy.
The older Tammy and Sigma lenses were generally inferior to the camera maker's lenses. Actually they were all pretty awful.

Something flipped in the last decade or so. Some of their new lenses match or even exceed the much more expensive lenses of the manufacturers. If ABETTERDJ only has experience with the older stuff I can see why he dismissed them.
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Sorry, if the pricing policy allows my local camera shop to stock Pentax equipment so I can see it and touch it, I'm all for it.
Well, if touching a lens is worth an 30-80% rise to you then good luck!

04-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What? I can find 5 Pentax retailers here in Holland, in a 40km radius around my town. I know about 3 in Belgium, but I'm unfamiliar there. And 7 in Paris alone. Pfff....
And you all fail to understand. This is not the case in the U.S. There are no stores left. I live in one of the most densely populated states, yet I have two within a 40mi. radius and they both suck. The argument that this will help retailers is nonsense because there are none to help. Canon and Nikon couldn't help these stores, but Pentax will? As much as I love Pentax, in the U.S. they can not compete at these prices, and will hurt themselves in the U.S. in the long run. Those that do sell Pentax here have done what was needed to make money doing it. Pentax sticking their hands into it and telling them how much they have to make per unit will most likely do nothing more than reduce those few avenues of income they do have. Increasing revenue for retailers that don't even exist will not make anybody money.
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I'm definitely putting my plans to buy a 30mm f1.4 and 70mm f2.8mm macro on hold. No, wait, they're Sigmas.
All good, I'm back on track.

Regards
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
30mm f1.4 and 70mm f2.8mm macro
Nice choices. Looking at the 70mm macro myself.
04-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #132
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
And you all fail to understand. This is not the case in the U.S. There are no stores left. I live in one of the most densely populated states, yet I have two within a 40mi. radius and they both suck. The argument that this will help retailers is nonsense because there are none to help. Canon and Nikon couldn't help these stores, but Pentax will? As much as I love Pentax, in the U.S. they can not compete at these prices, and will hurt themselves in the U.S. in the long run. Those that do sell Pentax here have done what was needed to make money doing it. Pentax sticking their hands into it and telling them how much they have to make per unit will most likely do nothing more than reduce those few avenues of income they do have. Increasing revenue for retailers that don't even exist will not make anybody money.
That is the crux that people don't grasp. This has to be some other diversion by Ricoh. Hopefully it is some sort of big April Fools joke.
04-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Interesting. Canon's USA website lists over 900 dealers, who they claim you can buy their cameras from. I haven't checked Nikon's website yet, but Canon's claimed retail distribution rate, based on this, is 1 store for every 340,000 people, on average. There will be obvious variations because of population density, but even so I can see this is low, although it's clearly not zero, and suggests there would still be a competitive choice in cities of 1M or more.
04-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #134
Pentaxian

What I find even more strange is the fact that the US Pentaxians cry loudly, in numerous threads, for more Pentax presence in shops. Because they desperately want to fondle the cameras and lenses before they purchase them. They complain about Canikon being present in shops, but Pentax is not. And now suddenly here there are people in this thread who claim that there are no shops whatsoever.

Logically, one of the two groups is not telling the truth.
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #135

I have purchased three new lenses in the past two weeks. Two Zeiss (25mm f2.8 & 50mm f2) and a Tamron (70-200mm).

The new Pentax pricing didn't effect my decision, they just didn't have what I wanted!

I decided to grab these lenses now, rather than not being able to get them down the road due to people not buying Pentax lenses in protest.