Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
Unfrtunately I cannot yet pledge - until I purchase the next two or three needed Pentax lens'.

Wish I could pledge,but I really have the profession need for these lens'.

04-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Unfrtunately I cannot yet pledge - until I purchase the next two or three needed Pentax lens'.

Wish I could pledge,but I really have the profession need for these lens'.
I do understand that a professional has a completely different set of contingencies on them in this regard. Thanks for the moral support.
04-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Fortunately I bought most of my lenses prior too the first price hike way back in the day. I had a bit of a struggle afterward for a few primes but managed to get some pretty good 2'nd hand deals through eBay. Other than that, I haven't bought a Pentax lens in years. I think I may have picked-up a few legacy lenses for my working K collection though I doubt that counts.

Having said that, I am planning on grabbing me one of these new fast/wides from Sigma sometime in the near future. Just as soon as I get my Russian Silver lens collection finished

Added later...

Wait! I forgot... I bought a DAL and DA 55-300's a few years back. (forgot about those)

PS. I'm not against the lens price hike IF it helps to put Pentax back on the map. Who knows, maybe they were hurting for money right?
04-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What's to keep them from doing the same to you in the RSA? Given it's a global economy this will impact you as well.
Because our market is very different.
This price thing is there in the US to bring back Pentax in the B&M stores because some retailers sold there stuff with very low margins.
Here at least that's not the case and actually most stores here are B&M and have we have saturn, mediamarkt and amazon but those have their products actually priced slightly higher then some B&M stores so the situation is the other way around or at least more balanced.

So there is no reason for it.

If this brings Pentax back to the stores by making it interesting to sell them, then also the stores owners are of course more interesting to push Pentax.
Why would they promote the K5 for example over the D7000 when they earn more money with the Nikon?

04-18-2012, 06:49 AM - 14 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a thread for spoiled brats who are willing to stamp their little feet and hold their breath until they turn blue because they aren't getting their way.
Pledge, smedge.
04-18-2012, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a thread for spoiled brats who are willing to stamp their little feet and hold their breath until they turn blue because they aren't getting their way.
Pledge, smedge.
No, it's not just you. The Pentax user community can't demand growth, more marketing, more presence, FF, longer/faster lenses, etc and then at the same time start whining and pissing when Pentax agrees with them and takes the first steps towards those goals.

Actually, I'm happy with the measures Pentax is taking. (I'm ducking behind my desk now.) They're making plans. Things are starting to move. I'm interested to see how this works out. And what their next move is. Meantime, I'll enjoy the glass that I currently have.
04-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Read my lips: No New Pentaxes!

Seriously, I haven't bought a brand new lens ever, except kit lenses. I've bought lots of second hand stuff though.

Regards,
--Anders.

04-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pledge, smedge.
You've hit the mark, Bill. Some people just don't (or don't want to) understand that retailers must make a profit or they can't stay in business; thus the lack of shops selling Pentax. It would be nice if Pentax and their retailers could just give away lenses, but that is not the way of the world...
04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Pledged. In case you're wondering, I have bought nearly all my Pentax lenses from B&H so I'm with the US guys on this issue.
I see you're in Sydney, AU. You do realize that this change in policy is specifically to prevent people like you from helping U.S. businesses devalue the brand, right?

Pledge, smedge.
Nailed it. +1
04-18-2012, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think some people here should read this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/182896-lens-prices-our...ml#post1915101

The problem everywhere for Pentax has been the numbers of people buying Canon and Nikon through local stores, and the reason they do that is the sales people push those brands because they make more on them than they do on Pentax. That's the prime reason why so many stores don't stock Pentax now. This new strategy in the US market is designed to overcome that. Ned Bunnell's blog makes this point, which was guessed at by cooler heads here, previously.

I doubt that a lens-buying strike will succeed, for two reasons. Firstly, most people who like to say they'll participate in such an activity actually don't, and who'd know if they did or didn't? Secondly, there are relatively few potential customers for new Pentax lenses in this Forum, so the influence of the "strike" will be correspondingly small.

it's a good idea in itself, but these things need to be thought through carefully before going public, and it seems clear to me that this hasn't happened here.
04-18-2012, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Inactive Account

I don't know how Pentax's pricing strategy is a good thing for them... sure they get their stuff in a few large-box retailers now but who's going to pay these prices? They SHOULD have lowered the MSRP at the same time, which should have gotten their product out there and lessened the blow to us. I bought into Pentax because of value. Back when I bought into the brand, Canon and Nikon would have been bigger contenders if the pricing was closer like it is now. They're only screwing themselves in the long run.

Pledge accepted.
04-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Pledge, smedge.
Yup.

No offense intended, of course.
04-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #28

There's no need for a boycott. The market will send the message. How many 16-50s will Pentax sell at $1500?

If you think that a lens is worth the price, buy it. If not, don't.

Jeff
04-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The problem everywhere for Pentax has been the numbers of people buying Canon and Nikon through local stores, and the reason they do that is the sales people push those brands because they make more on them than they do on Pentax. That's the prime reason why so many stores don't stock Pentax now. This new strategy in the US market is designed to overcome that.
Exactly!

Think further down the line... To get people to actually pay for those lenses, Pentax also needs a new very cool body to put them on. These are all just good signs.
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pledge, smedge.
Agreed, No pledge for me and I have a plan for a couple of new lenses this year actually

I wouldn't have bought them from the US in any case.

Retailers need support to maintain margins to stay in business. For the entire time i've been on the forum I've listened to whining and bitching about the lack of retail options blah blah blah from the Us, now they take action to fix the issue and I get this whining about that

You can't have your cake and eat it too guys sorry