Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
No, it's not just you. The Pentax user community can't demand growth, more marketing, more presence, FF, longer/faster lenses, etc and then at the same time start whining and pissing when Pentax agrees with them and takes the first steps towards those goals.

Actually, I'm happy with the measures Pentax is taking. (I'm ducking behind my desk now.) They're making plans. Things are starting to move. I'm interested to see how this works out. And what their next move is. Meantime, I'll enjoy the glass that I currently have.
Agree 100% No boycott for me. I'm excited, if a little anxious to see the direction Pentax is going. I'll judge the results in a year or two.

And make room behind your desk. I need somewhere to hide too.

04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
No, it's not just you. The Pentax user community can't demand growth, more marketing, more presence, FF, longer/faster lenses, etc and then at the same time start whining and pissing when Pentax agrees with them and takes the first steps towards those goals.

Actually, I'm happy with the measures Pentax is taking. (I'm ducking behind my desk now.) They're making plans. Things are starting to move. I'm interested to see how this works out. And what their next move is. Meantime, I'll enjoy the glass that I currently have.
So how is this going to work? The extra profits made by 3 B & M stores in New York are going to build brick and mortar stores in Florida who will then sell Pentax gear at MSRP with the same lame warranty and pathetic service support regarding protracted repairs.
04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Agree 100% No boycott for me. I'm excited, if a little anxious to see the direction Pentax is going. I'll judge the results in a year or two.

And make room behind your desk. I need somewhere to hide too.
So far this hasn't impacted canadian pricing, but in general we haven't been in a race to the bottom on margins for lenses up here, and many of the us prices are now what our regular price is.
No reason for us to participate
04-18-2012, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
You've hit the mark, Bill. Some people just don't (or don't want to) understand that retailers must make a profit or they can't stay in business; thus the lack of shops selling Pentax. It would be nice if Pentax and their retailers could just give away lenses, but that is not the way of the world...
The problem is this. BH and Adorama are brick and mortar stores that used to have a mail order/phone sales. They adapted to the internet age. Now they have been penalized for having a good working business model. Part of the problem with the lack of shops is that there aren't many shops. They have been folding up. Even Wolf contracted as a result of their bankruptcy. While the retail network needs to be built up or rebuilt, corporate welfare in reverse isn't going to help.

04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think some people here should read this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/182896-lens-prices-our...ml#post1915101

The problem everywhere for Pentax has been the numbers of people buying Canon and Nikon through local stores, and the reason they do that is the sales people push those brands because they make more on them than they do on Pentax. That's the prime reason why so many stores don't stock Pentax now. This new strategy in the US market is designed to overcome that. Ned Bunnell's blog makes this point, which was guessed at by cooler heads here, previously.

I doubt that a lens-buying strike will succeed, for two reasons. Firstly, most people who like to say they'll participate in such an activity actually don't, and who'd know if they did or didn't? Secondly, there are relatively few potential customers for new Pentax lenses in this Forum, so the influence of the "strike" will be correspondingly small.

it's a good idea in itself, but these things need to be thought through carefully before going public, and it seems clear to me that this hasn't happened here.
Nikon and Canon aren't pushed at MSRP. Plus, Nikon lenses such as the 200/4 macro has a 5 year warranty. And if it needs serviced, they do it relatively quickly. I had them replace a sensor in 10 days.
04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm not going on strike. I just can't afford to do it anyhow. ;P
Ditto.
04-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

For the people upset about the price increase, I get it. I really do. It sucks having to pay more, especially for some products that are frankly not worth it. DA* 16-50mm, I'm looking at you. For many people, the reason they got into Pentax was the relative affordability of the lenses and the cameras. That advantage is pretty much gone now.

But you have to realize that the Pentax pricing policy, both in terms of actual pricing and the company's relationship to retailers was simply not working. Pentax was becoming an increasingly irrelevant camera maker in the world's biggest market. Something had to give. The only reason they were keeping afloat was a presence at B&H and Adorama, and damn good cameras.

The situation is actually quite different in Canada. I can walk into most camera stores in Calgary (Vistek, Saneal, The Camera Store, Japan Camera, etc.) and walk out with a Pentax body. The staff are knowledgeable about Pentax and don't dismiss it. And what has been the result? The photography group I'm part of has 4 or 5 other Pentax shooters (the same as Nikon!). The photography club in my university had 5 Pentax shooters out of about 20 shooters total. Granted, the university example is an outlier, and Pentax is nowhere as popular as Canikon, but the lesson remains. The lens prices are much closer to MSRP in Canada, so box stores can compete with each other. This is the exact situation Penta USA is aiming for. I doubt they made the pricing decision, but in the long-term it is the right move.

As a further plus to the Canadian retailers, now that the prices at Adorama and B&H are going up, I can give my business to my local stores, hopefully inducing them to carry more Pentax stuff.

Does Pentax have a long way to go? Absolutely. More bodies, more lenses, much much better support, longer warranties, a fix to SDM issues, etc. But it can't do anything if it continues to be a continually shrinking niche player.

I still think you'd be crazy to buy a 16-50mm at the current price though. Wait for a rebate, get one of the competing lenses from Tamron/Sigma, or wait for the replacement. But that's for another thread.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 04-18-2012 at 08:44 AM.
04-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Pentax has long held a reputation as the camera system for penny pinchers. While I can understand the disquiet from a segment of users, the reality is either:

make more money,
save longer, or
accept it and suck it up.

All the pledges and petitions in the world ain't gonna work because as a demographic, the penny pinchers and poor as a church mouse Pentax users aren't the ones Pentax can bank on to thrive, much less survive. Why Pentax should be the exception to the likes of Canon and Nikon as far as prices go is anyone's guess. Get used to the new reality. Besides, there are always cheaper and simpler cameras for those who are financially strapped or challenged and many can deliver decent results. If anything, it might even be the best thing creatively speaking as it will force those who baulk at the new prices to do more with the gear they already have and kill any latent LBA.

Last edited by creampuff; 04-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
04-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
The situation is actually quite different in Canada. I can walk into most camera stores in Calgary (Vistek, Saneal, The Camera Store, Japan Camera, etc.) and walk out with a Pentax body. The staff are knowledgeable about Pentax and don't dismiss it.
Don't forget Black's, too. They may not be good for much else, but they had a good deal on some Pentax bodies when I got mine, and they were very prominently placed in the store.
04-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax has long held a reputation as the camera system for penny pinchers. While I can understand the disquiet from a segment of users, the reality is either:

make more money,
save longer, or
accept it and suck it up.

All the pledges and petitions in the world ain't gonna work because as a demographic, the penny pinchers and poor as a church mouse Pentax users aren't the ones Pentax can bank on to thrive, much less survive.
Another option: or get the Nikkor 200/4 macro with its 5 year warranty. Iit isn't completely about penny pinching. It is also about the bang for the buck. For all you guys that want to help out Ricoh financially, I have no problems for you to write the check for 2x the amount or swipe your card twice. HeadBanger

Edit: The 1 year warranty on the Premium Pentax lenses isn't going to cut at that price range. Nor is there limited catalog of lenses.
04-18-2012, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nikon and Canon aren't pushed at MSRP.
The new Nikon US pricing policy explained | Nikon Rumors
04-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Another option: or get the Nikkor 200/4 macro with its 5 year warranty. Iit isn't completely about penny pinching. It is also about the bang for the buck. For all you guys that want to help out Ricoh financially, I have no problems for you to write the check for 2x the amount or swipe your card twice. :HeadBanger:

Edit: The 1 year warranty on the Premium Pentax lenses isn't going to cut at that price range. Nor is there limited catalog of lenses.
I could easily put money down for any of the latest FF cameras and lenses from Canon and Nikon tomorrow without having to bat an eyelid. And I did actually own the Nikkor 200mm f/4 macro in the past, but that's not the point. With my hectic schedule, managing time is far more important than quibbling over the cost of something, and I don't say this in a disrespectful way because I know how it is to be financially tight.

Most people don't need to own every lens in the manufacturer's line-up. From the many suggestions from very successful pro shooters that I know personally, every single one of them stress the importance of investing in the best lenses possible to be able to glean the best image quality. So it all boils down to how much one is prepared to set aside money for one's creative endeavors photographically speaking. Whether one is a beginner with a limited budget, a serious enthusiast or a working pro, lens or camera prices should be the least important criteria compared to learning the craft.

Last edited by creampuff; 04-18-2012 at 09:15 AM.
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I pledge not to buy a new Pentax branded lens until the new pricing policy is eliminated.

I will only buy new from other makers such as Sigma or Tamron.

If I do buy a Pentax branded lens it will only be used.
When Pentax offers QC and warranty commensurate with the "new" lens prices, then I'll buy.

I may not, anyway, because later on this year there's a good chance I'll be moving to Nikon.

But, who knows? Maybe Pentax will decide to step up to the plate and fix their shortcomings, and we'll all be happy!
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option: or get the Nikkor 200/4 macro with its 5 year warranty. Iit isn't completely about penny pinching. It is also about the bang for the buck. For all you guys that want to help out Ricoh financially, I have no problems for you to write the check for 2x the amount or swipe your card twice. :HeadBanger:

Ah, but there is their catalog of Limited lenses!
04-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Don't forget Black's, too. They may not be good for much else, but they had a good deal on some Pentax bodies when I got mine, and they were very prominently placed in the store.
Black isn't carrying the line right now. that may change though now that the price disruption from the US market is gone