Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Lets hope that doesn't turn out to be vaporware.
true, but since I have 2 other credible 500mm options presently, this is only a pipe dream any way

04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #92
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
true, but since I have 2 other credible 500mm options presently, this is only a pipe dream any way
I have a Tak 500/4.5 and an A 400/5.6 I can make do with.
04-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Tak 500/4.5 and an A 400/5.6 I can make do with.
if you go down to 400 I have 4 options.
Vivitar Mc 400/5.6 main fault is 22 foot minimum focus
Sigma APO70-200F2.8EX plus sigma 2x TC - stellar performer
SMC300/4 and 1.7x AF TC good perfromer light, but a little CA
tamron 200-500/5.6 my new toy not yet enough experience with it, BUT 6 foot MFD is impressive
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I assure you that the lack of B&M stores has nothing to do with Pentax. Part of the problem is the geographical size of the territory being covered by a small Pentax USA network. Many of our States are the size of some European countries and a few are even bigger. Talking about Pentax in Germany would be like talking about Pentax in New York State.
+1...
I don't think people understand the situation here in the US. We have a bunch of Targets and Walmarts and thats about it as far as Brick and Mortar stores go. We had Best Buy, but they are failing. Thats it. Adorama and B&H are 3,000 miles away...or 4800 kilometers away. Think about that for a second.

If Pentax makes it more equitable for B&Ms, frankly, I don't care because I am not hopping on an airplane to fly 5 hours to buy a DA*16-50.

And even if they had that lens at my local WalMart, who in their right mind would buy it? No one.

04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I appreciate the ad hominem attacks from those outside the US that just want to see us pay higher prices.

It's amazing to me that its that hard for you folks to grasp - there aren't the mythical B&M stores in the US to get into and support somehow. That is not merely my opinion, read the posts from anyone other than a couple here who apparently do have a B&M left near them. Such stores DO NOT EXIST outside NYC and a few other small enclaves in this VERY large country.

Perhaps you folks are the ones that are slow. You pay more for the exact item that I have been paying less for, and you get what precisely? If you get extra value then maybe you aren't slow. But then the reverse might be true too. Hmmmm. If I get less value then you do, shouldn't I pay less for less value received? Hmmm. No, that would actually make sense.

So, when you tell me that its more expensive in Europe because you do have B&M stores my question to you is - Why? Why frequent a B&M store when they charge you a lot more? Here they have all gone the way of the dinosaur because they can not compete. Pentax is trying to swim upstream. Best Buy, which is the largest of the B&M mainly electronic stores left in the US is closing another 50 stores.
I don't believe anyone outside the US actually wants you to pay more, but I see people who live in the US constantly complaining here about the lack of store promotion, and the attitudes of the sales staff to enquiries about Pentax products. Where are those stores? If you say they don't exist outside a few major cities, then there's an anomaly to be explained.

You should also realise that many of us appreciate the value that B&H, Adorama and the other US online stores provide to areas outside the US. I've bought several Pentax lenses from them, because they were much cheaper than I could obtain elsewhere, both from local online and high street stores. I've bought online from Australian stores, too, who have a high street presence as well as an online shop. The point is that many people still prefer shopping for expensive, complex items where they can get to see and operate them, and where they know they can go to get after-sales service. I know that last point's debatable, as repairs are done remotely anyway, but notwithstanding, that's still the way a lot of people think.

A friend of mine here recently bought a K-5 after she'd borrowed my K20D to use on a trip to New Zealand and had seen the results from my K-5. She bought the body from an Australian online store that has a high street shop in the major cities (I live in a small city) and the lens (an 18-135) from B&H. There a two points make here. The local camera store sells lots of Canon and Nikon DSLRs over the counter. They had a K-7 on display and stated that they wouldn't be getting the K-5 in stock. Other stores here have the same attitude. If I hadn't known her and been able to show how good the Pentax products were, she would undoubtedly have bought one of the other brands. She is completely taken with the K-5, and I should add that her father's a long-term Nikon shooter, but a broad-thinking one who's very close to her. I also introduced her to B&H, who she bought from because the local online camera vendor couldn't match their price for the lens.

So, you see, it's not just US buyers who will be paying more for lenses.

I apologise for going on a bit, but I think it's important to be clear why some of us don't quibble too much about these changes Pentax USA is making. We want the brand to survive everywhere because we still see it as a value proposition in many instances.

By the way, if you read Ned Bunnell's blog, you may see that he's talking about running lens rebate programs, too, as well as explaining the strategy. I hope that helps alleviate some of the pain.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-18-2012 at 02:33 PM.
04-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is shocking to be honest. I kind of expect it from Wheaties. But the magnitude of the "dog pile" is a surprise.
Never underestimate the depth of US envy and antipathy abroad.
04-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #97
Veteran Member

On one hand, I won't have access to cheap lenses through B&H, and Pentax is no longer a bargain system.

On the other hand, maybe I'll actually see Pentax lenses in Canadian stores now that they aren't overpriced compared to normal, so I won't have to buy the thing to try it out.

And on the other other hand, my DA 15 and FA 50 went up in value. The question is - do I cash in? I do love them so...

04-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't believe anyone outside the US actually wants you to pay more, but I see people who live in the US constantly complaining here about the lack of store promotion, and the attitudes of the sales staff to enquiries about Pentax products. Where are those stores? If you say they don't exist outside a few major cities, then there's an anomaly to be explained.

You should also realise that many of us appreciate the value that B&H, Adorama and the other US online stores provide to areas outside the US. I've bought several Pentax lenses from them, because they were much cheaper than I could obtain elsewhere, both from local online and high street stores. I've bought online from Australian stores, too, who have a high street presence as well as an online shop. The point is that many people still prefer shopping for expensive, complex items where they can get to see and operate them, and where they know they can go to get after-sales service. I know that last point's debatable, as repairs are done remotely anyway, but notwithstanding, that's still the way a lot of people think.

A friend of mine here recently bought a K-5 after she'd borrowed my K20D to use on a trip to New Zealand and had seen the results from my K-5. She bought the body from an Australian online store that has a high street shop in the major cities (I live in a small city) and the lens (an 18-135) from B&H. There a two points make here. The local camera store sells lots of Canon and Nikon DSLRs over the counter. They had a K-7 on display and stated that they wouldn't be getting the K-5 in stock. Other stores here have the same attitude. If I hadn't known her and been able to show how good the Pentax products were, she would undoubtedly have bought one of the other brands. She is completely taken with the K-5, and I should add that her father's a long-term Nikon shooter, but a broad-thinking one who's very close to her. I also introduced her to B&H, who she bought from because the local online camera vendor couldn't match their price for the lens.

So, you see, it's not just US buyers who will be paying more for lenses.

I apologise for going on a bit, but I think it's important to be clear why some of us don't quibble too much about these changes Penax USA is making. We want the brand to survive everywhere because we still see it as a value proposition in many instances.

By the way, if you read Ned Bunnell's blog, you may see that he's talking about running lens rebate programs, too, as well as explaining the strategy. I hope that helps alleviate some of the pain.
Rob,
Your position makes perfect sense to me. No problems here. Please take an hour or three to read the posts that are simply "F*&^ the Americans they're all whiny B*st*rds anyway!" and I think you will agree that many are not as measured or reasoned as your post.
04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
On one hand, I won't have access to cheap lenses through B&H, and Pentax is no longer a bargain system.

On the other hand, maybe I'll actually see Pentax lenses in Canadian stores now that they aren't overpriced compared to normal, so I won't have to buy the thing to try it out.

And on the other other hand, my DA 15 and FA 50 went up in value. The question is - do I cash in? I do love them so...

You should definitely part with the DA 15. It's a horrible horrible lens that will likely give you rabies.

Luckily, being the kind of guy I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands for you.
04-18-2012, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Veteran Member

Never underestimate the depth of US envy...
Oh, my. I suppose we hate you for your freedom, too?

Seriously though, thanks for the heartiest laugh I've had today, that's awesome. Made the whole thread worthwhile.
04-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never underestimate the depth of US envy and antipathy abroad.
I know this was said wistfully, but I believe there's a lot over over-estimating of the same thing, probably for political and economic reasons as much as anything else, and I say this as someone who has family in the US, and who's visited there several times.

Let's argue the points, not the people involved, please.
04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know this was said wistfully, but I believe there's a lot over over-estimating of the same thing, probably for political and economic reasons as much as anything else, and I say this as someone who has family in the US, and who's visited there several times.

Let's argue the points, not the people involved, please.
Rob,

Please understand that your post is on point but not so easy when you have folks that are basically telling anyone that is in the US and complains about the absurd price increases that they are A) spoiled Americans, b) whining Americans, C) getting what they deserve, d) all of the above. I try my best not to tell others how to live, seems that is a rare approach these days. Too many seem to jump in with glee, yes glee, when they see a failing on the part of the US or Americans but are absolutely outraged if we dare say anything about them or their country. So, ........
04-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob,
Your position makes perfect sense to me. No problems here. Please take an hour or three to read the posts that are simply "F*&^ the Americans they're all whiny B*st*rds anyway!" and I think you will agree that many are not as measured or reasoned as your post.
Yes, I've read a lot of those, and I wince a bit when I do. On the other hand, I've been insulted by experts, so I know the meaning of the old saying about never arguing with a fool, and I've also learned to appreciate the art of the studied insult, even when it bites a bit close to home.
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I've read a lot of those, and I wince a bit when I do. On the other hand, I've been insulted by experts, so I know the meaning of the old saying about never arguing with a fool, and I've also learned to appreciate the art of the studied insult, even when it bites a bit close to home.
Ah, an educated man. There are good people everywhere, but there are those who revel in the misery of others and then try to justify it too. We seem to be seeing people torturing economics, reason, and other things in order to get their jollies over what is completely indefensible - raising prices dramatically without adding one cent of value. Regards.
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Ah, an educated man. There are good people everywhere, but there are those who revel in the misery of others and then try to justify it too. We seem to be seeing people torturing economics, reason, and other things in order to get their jollies over what is completely indefensible - raising prices dramatically without adding one cent of value. Regards.
I would personally withhold judgment on that last point until the fall. That, I think, will be enough time to see the direction Ricoh is taking Pentax in. And that is around the time I will decide if I'm jumping ship or staying onboard.