Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watch out for a price increase in k-mount lenses of other manufacturers, how would that influence your pledge?

04-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You've got no worries from me,except if I get a new K5 with the 18-55 wr inclusive.
04-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #138

Photos: Albums
My boyfriend is after a new camera, instead of a Pentax, that Olympus OM-D is looking more and more enticing.
04-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #139
Veteran Member

I pledge not to buy any pentax lenses at the new prices. If after contacting the dealer (BH, Adorama etc..) and they don't want to sell at the old price, I'll just not buy it and wait for it USED on the market place.

04-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
You've got no worries from me,except if I get a new K5 with the 18-55 wr inclusive.
Yeah why do Aussies have to worry when Hong Kong beckons! T-Dimension is selling K5 bodies for $890 now, and they ship faster than US. Ordered on Friday, got it on Monday! I made an effort to buy from a local Bricks & Mortar shop in early November last year, but was told I would have to wait till after Christmas.

Pentax : T-Dimension, Your Online Store of DSLR, Digital Camera, Lens & Photography Accessories

Last edited by selar; 04-19-2012 at 02:12 AM.
04-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
My boyfriend is after a new camera, instead of a Pentax, that Olympus OM-D is looking more and more enticing.
You are comparing apples and oranges.
04-19-2012, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #142

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
You are comparing apples and oranges.
When apples are overpriced, it makes the oranges look that bit more tasty.

04-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Watch out for a price increase in k-mount lenses of other manufacturers, how would that influence your pledge?
It would depend on the same factors thst have been reviewed here several times already - size of the rise, any value added, etc.
04-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a joiner

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I pledge not to buy a new Pentax branded lens until the new pricing policy is eliminated.

I will only buy new from other makers such as Sigma or Tamron.

If I do buy a Pentax branded lens it will only be used.
I'll pass. Don't like limiting myself. Besides Canadian prices are still pretty good on many lenses.

NaCl(a futile gesture IMO)H2O
04-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'll pass. Don't like limiting myself. Besides Canadian prices are still pretty good on many lenses.

NaCl(a futile gesture IMO)H2O
Well, in addition to being a gesture it is also a way for me to be comfortable with myself. I just can't reinforce this sort of behavior. Will this change their decision? Unlikely. What will? Amazon, Adorama, and B&H having zero, or near zero, sales.
04-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't buy ANYTHING from Amazon, period. Not with the way they treat publishers and writers. I live in NYC and have to pay a 8.75% premimum on anything Adorama or B&H sell due to sales tax, so it's rare that I buy new lenses from them. (Adorama used lenses are a different story) Besides, as I said, Canadian prices are still pretty good. If I come into a windfall and I want a Pentax lens I can afford I will buy it. Granted, the likelyhood of a monetary windfall are slim, I don't have any rich elderly relatives, but I do buy my lotto tix!
I have to say that I doubt very seriously that the US membership of PF is large enough to seriously affect Pentax's US sales.

NaCl(but I guess you can hope)H2O
04-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't buy ANYTHING from Amazon, period. Not with the way they treat publishers and writers. I live in NYC and have to pay a 8.75% premimum on anything Adorama or B&H sell due to sales tax, so it's rare that I buy new lenses from them. (Adorama used lenses are a different story) Besides, as I said, Canadian prices are still pretty good. If I come into a windfall and I want a Pentax lens I can afford I will buy it. Granted, the likelyhood of a monetary windfall are slim, I don't have any rich elderly relatives, but I do buy my lotto tix!
I have to say that I doubt very seriously that the US membership of PF is large enough to seriously affect Pentax's US sales.

NaCl(but I guess you can hope)H2O
I don't cry any tears over publishers, for decades they've been doing to writers what Amazon is now doing to them. As for PF and its size, you're probably right - but consumers generally do not react to huge price increases well so there is still hope that economics will generate the feedback necessary to correct this situation.
04-19-2012, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know several professional writers personally, two of them are really good friends. In general, the old school professional publishing houses treat their writers pretty well, MUCH MUCH better than the treatment that Amazon gives them. And Amazon is actively hostile to the houses. But if you want to deal with Amazon, fine go right ahead. I have no qualm with you wanting to make a statement with your wallet, as you can see I do so myself, but I don't expect you to join me against Amazon or Walmart, and I have no intention in joining your quest either.

NaCl(but to each his own)H2O
04-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting. Canon's USA website lists over 900 dealers, who they claim you can buy their cameras from. I haven't checked Nikon's website yet, but Canon's claimed retail distribution rate, based on this, is 1 store for every 340,000 people, on average. There will be obvious variations because of population density, but even so I can see this is low, although it's clearly not zero, and suggests there would still be a competitive choice in cities of 1M or more.
I tell you what. You bring your butt to Georgia and check out Atlanta and see if that 1 B&M in 340,000 holds up. That excludes big box stores like Best Buy, Sam's Club, Costco, Walfart, Office Max etc. It won't hold up in Miami, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Memphis. The quasi B&M here in Tallahassee is only a Sony dealer. On top of that, you guys still don't comprehend Spatial geography. Go look at the paltry little list Ned put on is blog.
04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #150
Site Supporter

I know several professional writers personally, two of them are really good friends. In general, the old school professional publishing houses treat their writers pretty well, MUCH MUCH better than the treatment that Amazon gives them. And Amazon is actively hostile to the houses. But if you want to deal with Amazon, fine go right ahead. I have no qualm with you wanting to make a statement with your wallet, as you can see I do so myself, but I don't expect you to join me against Amazon or Walmart, and I have no intention in joining your quest either.

NaCl(but to each his own)H2O
Be sure to let us know when you buy a $2000 DA* 50-250/4 with the industry leading 1 year warranty form on of the B&M you guys in NY have. I don't know what makes you think this is taking up for Amazon. It is taking up for YOUR local B&M, BH, Adorama, Abe's, 17th St, 47th St etc.