Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I didn't run down Canon's dealer net work. Here in Tallahassee is simple, Best Buy and they have how much of the slr market?

Most don't even when they have visited either NY or Los Angeles. Plus, I wasn't talking about sparseness of population but the number of population centers spread out all over the country. Denver is 1700 miles one way driving to NY City. But San Diego to NYC is ~ 2x that. Then look at Miami as a city and as a metro area compared to Seattle, Washington. Those are high population density areas and they are far apart. Through in San Juan, Puerto Rico or Honolulu or Alaska and it is even farther although there is no really dense population areas in Alaska or Maine. Even San Diego and San Francisco are in the same state and they are about 500 miles apart. That is a similar thing for me here in the state Capital of Florida and Miami. The U.S. and Europe would actually be a better comparison than Australia. With Europe and the U.S.A. the best way to compare them is to look at each State like you would a country in Europe.

Here are some population centers these cities are centered in areas with over 1 million people. The ones in bold may have a B&M with Pentax in them other than maybe a K-r body.

Atlanta
Miami
Nashville
Jacksonville
Tampa-Clearwater-St Pete
Memphis
Kansas City
St Louis
Denver (but don't bet on it)
Houston
Dallas
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Washington, DC-Beltway
Boston
NYC
Chicago
Louisville
Cincinnati
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Phoenix
San Diego
Los Angeles-Anaheim-Long Beach-Burbank-Pasadena
San Francisco-Oakland
Sacramento
Portland
Seattle
Hmmm...I've lived in LA for 27 years of my life and I never ran into a Pentax in any B&M store. Which store had one? Maybe Fry's?

We have plenty of Targets and Wal-Marts around, but they sure as hell wont be stocking a 1500-2000 dollar lens.

Best Buy is on its last legs.

About the only B&M stores that would realistically stock these lenses in SoCal are Ritz and Fry's.
So a customer walks into one of the handful of Ritz and Fry's around and he wants to check out some cameras and lenses. Why in God's Green Earth would he choose to buy a Pentax for these prices?
And then that brings us to the second point, why would these stores want to carry the Pentax lenses to begin with? They are in the business of making money too, and they only make money by moving product.

04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #212
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Hmmm...I've lived in LA for 27 years of my life and I never ran into a Pentax in any B&M store. Which store had one? Maybe Fry's?

We have plenty of Targets and Wal-Marts around, but they sure as hell wont be stocking a 1500-2000 dollar lens.

Best Buy is on its last legs.

About the only B&M stores that would realistically stock these lenses in SoCal are Ritz and Fry's.
So a customer walks into one of the handful of Ritz and Fry's around and he wants to check out some cameras and lenses. Why in God's Green Earth would he choose to buy a Pentax for these prices?
And then that brings us to the second point, why would these stores want to carry the Pentax lenses to begin with? They are in the business of making money too, and they only make money by moving product.
I started a thread to update and track that list. The LA metro area can be revised with input from Javier and a couple of people there. What about San Diego? I don't remember any the last couple of times I was there.
04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I, for one, believe you have every right to spend your money as you see fit as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Interseting that somehow your B&M store has stayed in business, sold at closer to MSRP, and has a full line of Pentax gear. I genuinely wonder if this new MSRP mandate will help or hurt them?
Good question... time will tell. I would say that I have no allusions about B&M. I'm sure most of this particular stores business is Canon / Nikon and honestly, I am guessing the only reason they have stuck with selling Pentax is because the owner is a fan. It's a pretty decent sized store compared to what I've seen and they also rent gear. I would be a little surprised to see them go out of business at this point just because they don't have a whole lot of competition left as far as brick and mortar goes. They always seem to be busy when I'm there. In theory I'd like to see both online and B&M continue to be viable somehow as I think it's nice to have the option.
04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Back to the pledge: It's silly and possibly counter-productive, more likely ineffectual.

I mentioned early on that it don't matter to me 'cause I can't afford any anyway. But suppose I could? I can say that if I *needed* to buy new Pentax gear, I would, regardless of price. Otherwise, I won't buy *any* new gear just to play with it, just to have it. I have plenty of gear already and don't need more just for the sake of having it. Well, maybe a K01+DA40XS kit...

04-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
sorry, but this pledge is absurd.
04-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Yeah why do Aussies have to worry when Hong Kong beckons! T-Dimension is selling K5 bodies for $890 now, and they ship faster than US. Ordered on Friday, got it on Monday! I made an effort to buy from a local Bricks & Mortar shop in early November last year, but was told I would have to wait till after Christmas.

Pentax : T-Dimension, Your Online Store of DSLR, Digital Camera, Lens & Photography Accessories
I have noticed that K5 prices have dropped a bit,but lenses on there own,you still need to sell an arm and a leg to own one.But then,you look at Nikon and Canon lens prices,and you can't say there cheap to buy either.
04-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I have noticed that K5 prices have dropped a bit,but lenses on there own,you still need to sell an arm and a leg to own one.But then,you look at Nikon and Canon lens prices,and you can't say there cheap to buy either
You are right, our LBA days appear to be numbered. Atleast, I made hay while the sun shone, I have all the lenses I could want and then some. The only lens I could possibly have bought is the 60-250, but I suspect I would never have bought that one anyway, f4 is so meh!

04-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
You are right, our LBA days appear to be numbered. Atleast, I made hay while the sun shone, I have all the lenses I could want and then some. The only lens I could possibly have bought is the 60-250, but I suspect I would never have bought that one anyway, f4 is so meh!
Pretty much the same here. I have all the lenses I will ever need with the exception of the 560mm to be released. That purchase will depend on revues as I have a Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4 plus some TCs that work well for me now. So maybe no future purchases.
04-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I will probably go out tomorrow and buy a new Pentax lens from my local camera store just to spite some of the posters in this thread, so FU. thanks
Sure, to you, its just a bigger tax deduction!
04-20-2012, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #220
Veteran Member

Thanks for your input. You're wrong but you're entitled to be wrong and have a say. BTW, coming into a thread like this and saying "BTW, I a few days ago I ordered a new Pentax Limited lens." is the functional equivalent of saying FU. Thanks.
So, we're not allowed to say which lenses we bought, because it hurts someones feelings? Maybe that's the problem of those someones then? They're the ones who made a non-issue into a personal drama.

I'm going shopping for a DA15ltd this weekend. And no, I do certainly not mean to say FU with that. It's merely a fact.
04-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Back to the pledge: It's silly and possibly counter-productive, more likely ineffectual.

I mentioned early on that it don't matter to me 'cause I can't afford any anyway. But suppose I could? I can say that if I *needed* to buy new Pentax gear, I would, regardless of price. Otherwise, I won't buy *any* new gear just to play with it, just to have it. I have plenty of gear already and don't need more just for the sake of having it. Well, maybe a K01+DA40XS kit...
RR, I couldn't agree more, except I want a Q first...

NaCl(but I guess it makes them feel good...there's nothing quite like self-rightous indignation)H2O
04-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, we're not allowed to say which lenses we bought, because it hurts someones feelings? Maybe that's the problem of those someones then? They're the ones who made a non-issue into a personal drama.

I'm going shopping for a DA15ltd this weekend. And no, I do certainly not mean to say FU with that. It's merely a fact.
Thanks. So many seem to love twisting words, it's quite amazing. I have said repeatedly that what others do is their own business. However, I don't go around telling others the quality of my bowels as that is rude. Equally rude is coming into a thread talking about stopping purchases because you are trying to influence a wrong-headed policy and announcing, with no meaningful contribution to the discussion, that you've just purchased a lens.

If you do not mean to say FU, they why announce such a fact here and now? I certainly hope that you find a lens that you like at a good price and would probably had said so if you had posted that announcement elsewhere, but doing so here is merely a poke in the eye to those of us who believe, genuinely, that Pentax has made both wrong decisions and insulted us as their customers. I believe that such a post is just as blatantly rude as coming into someone's announcement of their happy purchase and saying "That X is a POS, and here is why!"
04-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Robert, I think I've said about as much as I want about the subject, but seeing how many posts you've made, you should have known, or at least have anticipated the reactions before starting the thread
04-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #224
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Robert, I think I've said about as much as I want about the subject, but seeing how many posts you've made, you should have known, or at least have anticipated the reactions before starting the thread
Frankly, the vehemence of the Anti-American posts was quite shocking. The degree of "Pentax can not do any wrong and you are XYZ for saying they've made a pig's breakfast of the whole thing" also has shocked me. I thought Pentaxians were contrarians and not Fanboys but I was clearly mistaken with regard to far more members than I would have ever imagined.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-20-2012 at 05:45 AM.
04-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Frankly, the vehemence of the Anti-American posts was quite shocking. The degree of "Pentax can not do any wrong and you are XYZ for saying they've made a pig's breakfast of the who thing" also has shocked me. I thought Pentaxians were contrarians and not Fanboys but I was clearly mistaken with regard to far more members than I would have ever imagined.
It has nothing to do with fanboyism. At least, not in my case. Pentax has done quite a lot of things wrong... (Not to mention VERY wrong.) But this isn't one of them.

And I just re-read the entire thread, but couldn't find any anti-American posts from anybody here.