Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #286

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
/end rant
Some applicable advice from HAL the computer in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey:
I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
I appreciate the noble sentiments in your post, as well as your frustration, but I don't believe that Americans are unique in wanting to pay less, or that our non-U.S. brothers and sisters willingly pay more because they want to support their local communities.

Also, while one of Pentax's motivations in increasing U.S. lens prices may be to protect its non-U.S. markets, I seriously doubt that their rationale is to protect " the livelihoods of hard working people."

Jeff

04-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #287

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Some applicable advice from HAL the computer in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey:
I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
I appreciate the noble sentiments in your post, as well as your frustration, but I don't believe that Americans are unique in wanting to pay less, or that our non-U.S. brothers and sisters willingly pay more because they want to support their local communities.

Also, while one of Pentax's motivations in increasing U.S. lens prices may be to protect its non-U.S. markets, I seriously doubt that their rationale is to protect " the livelihoods of hard working people."

Jeff
Well yeah for a moment I thought he was talking about Jesus.
04-21-2012, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
To be fair, a lot of these folks must be getting a nice check from Pentax, which explains the blind faith. I cant think of another reason to support a corporation which expects to pay more for a product without an incentive. If not a check, maybe pentax performs a lot of charitable work in their community?

In all honesty, do I want pentax to succeed, yes I truly do. That's why I don't want them alienating what little followers they have left.
Wow. Do you honestly think that those of us that are realistic about the situation are being payed off by Pentax?

I think that having Pentax more widely available is a very good thing. Do I want to pay higher prices? Not really, but I'm not going to bitch and moan about how Pentax betrayed their customers because they'd like to sell products to more people and make money.

Contrary to what many people here (and other places that I frequent), selling products far cheaper than your competitors is not necessarily a winning move. It places you as a bargain brand and you attract people who will only shop based on price. And it seems that it has had that exact effect based on all of the complaining I'm seeing.

Last edited by Ash; 04-22-2012 at 03:50 AM.
04-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #289
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I already stopped buying Pentax lenses when my DA* 50-135 failed.....twice...and no one at Pentax, including good old Ned has ever acknowledged there was a problem with SDM. That kind of dishonesty is not consistent with caring for your base customers. If Tamron can give 6 year warranties......why can't Pentax give at least 4?

As for the idea that these ridiculous price increases will bring more Pentax dealers in small stores.......those that buy that lame line are like Eskimos that buy refrigerators. If they are not selling Pentax now, due to lack of demand, they are not dumb enough to believe that doubling the price will make people crave owning a Pentax? That is pure insanity.......

Regards!

04-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #290

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
You own a $1000 camera. If you want top of the line lenses, you should expect to pay nearly the same amount. It isn't Pentax's fault that we have destroyed our middle class and suddenly think that $1600 is too much to spend on excellent glass. Which for most of us, is a hobby.
I understand your sentiments for the most part. I do think you went a little bit overboard with your analogies, but I understand.
I also understand Pentax's reasoning for their price increases and it makes sense.

I do have to respectfully disagree on at least one point ... yes, $1600 wouldn't be too much for excellent glass. I was strongly considering the DA*16-50 at around 800 - it was very likely my next lens. At that price, it seemed a little iffy according to a lot of reviews and comparisons with similar lenses. At $1600? It's not even a consideration anymore.
Similarly built lenses by major competitors can be had for the same price or less in some cases. It doesn't seem that they do so by offering less in quality - just see the 16-50 comparison with the Sigma and Tamron alternatives on this very site.

A high quality zoom lens with similar focal length to the DA* 16-50 on a FF Canon/Nikon would be similar in price, but give you more service/support options (not to mention not such a seemingly maligned AF system). That is a pretty big deal in my opinion.
My next lens now? I don't even know what brand it will be, but I'm actually disappointed that it very well may not be a K mount.

Hopefully this is just a rough phase though and Pentax will be able to be strengthened by the recent changes in the long run.
04-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #291
Veteran Member

I withdraw my pledge, on the grounds that:

a. The OP edited his original pledge (what kind of pledge lasts only days!)
b. The OP bought a Pentax Limited lens after starting the pledge thread.

:Hysterical:

Ok, Blue, I have long wanted to ask you, how to add that particular "hysterical" smiley.
04-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #292
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I already stopped buying Pentax lenses when my DA* 50-135 failed.....twice...and no one at Pentax, including good old Ned has ever acknowledged there was a problem with SDM. That kind of dishonesty is not consistent with caring for your base customers. If Tamron can give 6 year warranties......why can't Pentax give at least 4?

As for the idea that these ridiculous price increases will bring more Pentax dealers in small stores.......those that buy that lame line are like Eskimos that buy refrigerators. If they are not selling Pentax now, due to lack of demand, they are not dumb enough to believe that doubling the price will make people crave owning a Pentax? That is pure insanity.......

Regards!
I agree. I don't see this improving a availability. I hope it does, but it makes no sense. It doesn't make Pentax more attractive to b&ms. They have to put a product out there that demands that type of price.

I'm relatively new to Pentax and if I was starting now with prices as they are, I never would have chose this brand. the value of Pentax just isn't there at the moment. Perhaps new releases will change this but rumors don't mean much until they have substance.

04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
They aren't selling Pentax in stores because there weren't in stores to see them in. Most people like to put things like cameras in their hands, and see how they feel. The lack of demand is from lack of availability to the general public.
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I withdraw my pledge, on the grounds that:

a. The OP edited his original pledge (what kind of pledge lasts only days!)
b. The OP bought a Pentax Limited lens after starting the pledge thread.

:Hysterical:
I think you might be a bit misinformed. The OP was always about a 'boycott' of the lenses that were affected by the unilateral agreement. The 'boycott' (pledge) always only applied to new lenses, and the Pentax Limited that docwrm (sp?) bought was used and therefore not affected by Pentax Fool's Day (tm) policy.

He seems to have since edited the original pledge to allow purchases of lenses that are sold in disregard to the policy - i.e. retailers that sell below the pricing agreement. That seems consistent with the original purpose to me. If it doesn't to you, I'm a little confused as to why, and would appreciate you explaining it to me.
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If it doesn't to you, I'm a little confused as to why, and would appreciate you explaining it to me.
When you take a pledge, you stand by it, not change it whenever it suits your convenience. The way I see it, the OP saw an opportunity to acquire a DA70 LTD and modified the pledge to suit his ends. I see no credibility left in the OP or his so called pledge.

As for you, yourself, you seem to be in a great hurry to take advantage of the price rise by selling your lens on Amazon at an inflated price. As stated by you, on the one hand you are anticipating profits from the sale of the lenses you hoarded, on the other you are nervous that Pentax will collapse and leave you with a loss of thousands of dollars. What exactly is your interest in Pentax? Purely pecuniary?

Last edited by selar; 04-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
04-21-2012, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #296
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
BTW, coming into a thread like this and saying "BTW, I a few days ago I ordered a new Pentax Limited lens." is the functional equivalent of saying FU. Thanks.
How is the above different from comming to a Pentax-community and starting a thread boycotting Pentax? It says FU all the same. That's kinda hypocrite, don't you think?
04-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #297
Veteran Member

When you take a pledge, you stand by it, not change it whenever it suits your convenience. The way I see it, the OP saw an opportunity to acquire a DA70 LTD and modified the pledge to suit his ends. I see no credibility left in the OP or his so called pledge.
He didn't modify the pledge to suit his convenience. He was quite within the confines of the pledge when he purchased his lens, and quite within the spirit of the pledge when he expanded the definition.

As for you, yourself, you seem to be in a great hurry to take advantage of the price rise by selling your lens on Amazon at an inflated price.
Its the price at which I'm willing to sell. Ned thinks it's too low, but I disagree.

As stated by you, on the one hand you are anticipating profits from the sale of the lenses you hoarded
I've been quite sincere with you, but your vocabulary might indicate you're looking for a fight?

, on the other you are nervous that Pentax will collapse and leave you with a loss of thousands of dollars.
So I better get out while I still can, right?!?

, What exactly is your interest in Pentax? Purely pecuniary?
Ha! I actually have two lenses on Amazon. One I offered here at a price lower than the price I had at Amazon at the time. Thanks for the rminder, I've meant to withdraw both offers for sale for the 16-50. I had an offer to purchase (on Amazon at the higher rate) but decided against selling. The other (60-250) I was planning on offering here at a reduced price as well but haven't completely decided about that lens yet.

Pentax makes lenses and cameras that I love (but not in the physical sense ) It's disappointing to me that they've been making such bone-headed decisions lately but I really can't do anything about it other than tell them why I'm not purchasing their products... and then not purchase their products.

If they make better decisions in the future I'll change my mind.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-22-2012 at 12:48 AM.
04-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #298
Veteran Member

So I better get out while I still can, right?!?
Yes, straightaway, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!
04-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #299
Veteran Member

Yes, straightaway, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!
I don't know, to me it's just a corporation that wants to sell me stuff. I'm taking this way more lighthearted than you for some reason.

Right now I'm staying the course, like I think most rational people would. I'm also keeping an eye out for good deals on some other corporation's goods and if I can find a better use for my money I'll switch... like I feel most rational people would. If in the meantime Pentax has an awesome 560mm f/5.6 for $1k and a D800 clone for $1.5k I'll stay. If it's somewhere in the middle, maybe I'll maintain two systems for a while.

We'll see.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-22-2012 at 12:41 AM.
04-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #300
Veteran Member

I don't know, to me it's just a corporation that wants to sell me stuff. I'm taking this way more lighthearted than you for some reason.
Well, some of us here, we shoot Pentax because its a venerable and time honoured brand, have decades of association with the brand, actually feel a loyalty to the cause, and are prepared to weather many storms with it.

If Pentax does fold, so be it, I will buy a couple more K5s and keep shooting with whatever lenses I have.