Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

Help with Helios, will it get stuck?

So my Helios just arrived and just before mounting it I noticed it has an aperture pin. I read somewhere that this may get my lens stuck once mounted, is this true? Do I need to remove it or superglue it down. Its a Helios 44m so it has the A/M switch so gluing it down and just sticking to M should be fine right?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good on you for paying attention, but this isn't the "dreaded Ricoh pin" that you're thinking of, it's just the m42 aperture pin. Your lens has an A/M switch, so focus in A, meter and shoot in M. That pin will not cause anything to stick anywhere.

--- EDIT ---
Also note - the m42-k adapter on that lens is the full flange type - it'll allow you CIF (Catch In Focus), but it won't allow infinity focus.
04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Good on you for paying attention, but this isn't the "dreaded Ricoh pin" that you're thinking of, it's just the m42 aperture pin. Your lens has an A/M switch, so focus in A, meter and shoot in M. That pin will not cause anything to stick anywhere.

--- EDIT ---
Also note - the m42-k adapter on that lens is the full flange type - it'll allow you CIF (Catch In Focus), but it won't allow infinity focus.
Cool thanks for a quick reply

Also yeah I know about the adapter, I think I'll be okay with it though for now, I don't plan on using this lens to focus to infinity much anyway. (x
04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just to confirm, all "auto" m42 lenses have this pin, and it has absolutely not effect on a DSLR. The pin retracts if it pushes up on anything, but I think it's just open air behind it when mounted.

04-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Just to confirm, all "auto" m42 lenses have this pin, and it has absolutely not effect on a DSLR. The pin retracts if it pushes up on anything, but I think it's just open air behind it when mounted.
There is nothing for the pin to push against unless you buy an expensive adapter that has an extra rim.
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Use your Helios in good health! I have exactly the same setup: Helios-44 with cheap safe wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter. It's great for portraits or any work closer than about 10ft / 3m. As mentioned, the M42-auto aperture pin won't get stuck on anything. Don't glue it down because: 1) it's harmless; 2) gluing lowers resale value; 3) gluing isn't not necessary -- the lens has an M/A switch already. Cheers!
04-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Use your Helios in good health! I have exactly the same setup: Helios-44 with cheap safe wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter. It's great for portraits or any work closer than about 10ft / 3m. As mentioned, the M42-auto aperture pin won't get stuck on anything. Don't glue it down because: 1) it's harmless; 2) gluing lowers resale value; 3) gluing isn't not necessary -- the lens has an M/A switch already. Cheers!
I have modded mine (non preset) by opening it and adding a shim to keep the pin down. So it's easily reversible if I ever sell it, although I doubt
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I simply opened up my 44m and removed the pin.
Why? Because at one point I believed that the pin was scratching the 2 bronze contacts inside the mount.
It wasn't, but either way, I was relieved after doing so, and I got to learn about 44m's construction.