Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mentioned the lack of Sigma/Tamron support for k-mount in my comment on Ned's blog on the pricing plan yesterday. I know it was off topic, but he addressed my price related concern and ignored the Sigma/Tamron question.

04-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I mentioned the lack of Sigma/Tamron support for k-mount in my comment on Ned's blog on the pricing plan yesterday. I know it was off topic, but he addressed my price related concern and ignored the Sigma/Tamron question.
I simply would not expect the CEO of one company to comment on another company in any way. Did he actually give you a meaningful answer to the price-related question?
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I simply would not expect the CEO of one company to comment on another company in any way. Did he actually give you a meaningful answer to the price-related question?
Well, I would think it would be quite important for Pentax to maintain that relationship with third party lens manufacturers if they seriously hope to compete with the larger brands. To expect everyone to buy nothing but Pentax glass is not realistic.

Regarding the pricing, he just said that they hope to bring back rebates and that most Canon shooters buy all their lenses during rebates.
04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I imagine this has always been the case for Pentax though...
Hardly...Back-in-the-day, if any mount was available it would be M42 (Pentax/Praktica screwmount). Later, the same would be true for Pentax-K. For most of its history, Asahi/Pentax (along with Nikon) was a major market force. The current slide started about 2 years ago and has been driven (as noted above) by decreasing market share. Quite simply, Canon and Nikon have a death grip on the consumer market and most distribution channels. The lens makers follow the market and Pentax (along with a few other mounts, e.g. Sony and Olympus) are only marginally worth pursuing when compared to the mirror-less market. Heck, even Cosina/Voigtlander is pursuing that market and they make a K-mount camera!

Steve