Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Future of Sigma and Tamron Lenses for Pentax

More than the price increase, and the lack of news regarding DSLR replacements, the lack of new lenses from Sigma and Tamron in K mount has me really puzzled and a little anxious. A lot of people rely on third-party manufactures to fill gaps in the Pentax lens line-up. Am I imagining this or is this a trend other people are seeing as well?

Luckily for me, the two lenses I really want, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 are still made in K mount. But for how much longer? What's driving this move by these lens makers to abandon Pentax? Anyone have any insights or theories they would like to share?

04-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
More than the price increase, and the lack of news regarding DSLR replacements, the lack of new lenses from Sigma and Tamron in K mount has me really puzzled and a little anxious. A lot of people rely on third-party manufactures to fill gaps in the Pentax lens line-up. Am I imagining this or is this a trend other people are seeing as well?

Luckily for me, the two lenses I really want, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 are still made in K mount. But for how much longer? What's driving this move by these lens makers to abandon Pentax? Anyone have any insights or theories they would like to share?
Market share - it's all relative, if Sigma's overall penetration is 17% (example: 17 lenses sold for every 100 nikon or canon bodies) then how can they justify to continue to manufacture lenses for Pentax when it would take an entire year to sell in pentax mount what it takes for 2 weeks to sell in nikon mount.
04-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

K-mount is neither a large market (Nikon, Canon) nor a growing market (m4/3’s) so third party manufacturers are abandoning it. I don’t think we need any conspiracy theories to explain it, these makers follow the cash and there is not enough of it in the Pentax universe. Hopefully Ricoh will soon pull a full sized rabbit out of the K-mount hat to get the mount out of the shallow dive it is in now.
04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Market share - it's all relative, if Sigma's overall penetration is 17% (example: 17 lenses sold for every 100 nikon or canon bodies) then how can they justify to continue to manufacture lenses for Pentax when it would take an entire year to sell in pentax mount what it takes for 2 weeks to sell in nikon mount.
I imagine this has always been the case for Pentax though. So what has changed?

It used to be a good bet that a news lens from Sigma would be available in K mount. Now the odds are pretty low.

04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax's dwindling market share - I love Pentax just as much as everyone else but lets be real here, just look at the recent K01 launch as an example - such a huge hype but yet they were and are readily available and there was no scare of selling out or availability issues, to this day there is hardly any talk on the forum here about the K01 either (compared to massive amounts of post's for the Kx, Kr and K5 from actual users when they were released).
04-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It used to be a good bet that a news lens from Sigma would be available in K mount. Now the odds are pretty low.
K-mount is in a shallow dive and Sigma/Tamron know it.
04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm glad someone else pointed this out and not me. I brought this up in those other threads and was basically told I was a silly ass. It does seem clear to me that 3rd party makers, other than our friends in Korea , are pulling back (if not out completely) from the K Mount market. That makes us even more at the mercy of Ned and his amazing technicolor plan that WILL make us happy.

04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe the new Pentax pricing strategy will bring them back because there is better margin now.
04-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Maybe the new Pentax pricing strategy will bring them back because there is better margin now.
They were already selling Pentax lenses without shake reduction built in for, often, the same price as they sell Canon and Nikon. One would naturally believe that as businessmen they were making some profit on them. It wasn't that so much as the hassle of making a minimum number and then having to warehouse them because of the low volume of sales. Perhaps the insane prices for Pentax will make enough bright people turn to Sigma and Tamron thereby increasing their turnover of stock and letting them know that they can continue to sell at a reasonable price and sell more units?
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
nor a growing market
Lets hope this will change!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ned and his amazing technicolor plan
04-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Lets hope this will change!!

I share your hope, but if Ricoh/Pentax just do “more of the same” over the next 6 months then nothing will change, other than the dive might become steeper.
04-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Pentax's dwindling market share - I love Pentax just as much as everyone else but lets be real here, just look at the recent K01 launch as an example - such a huge hype but yet they were and are readily available and there was no scare of selling out or availability issues, to this day there is hardly any talk on the forum here about the K01 either (compared to massive amounts of post's for the Kx, Kr and K5 from actual users when they were released).
Although I dont think that the k-01 was a resounding success, I also don't think that it is the camera of the typical forum goer around here. It is the camera of a different sort of person, so saying it is not a success because of the lack of posts is a fallacy.
04-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No telling what will happen with the 3rd party makers. Already lots of items are disc I wanted to buy. No continuity at all. All I can do is look for used.
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K-mount is neither a large market (Nikon, Canon) nor a growing market (m4/3’s) so third party manufacturers are abandoning it. I don’t think we need any conspiracy theories to explain it, these makers follow the cash and there is not enough of it in the Pentax universe.
In part then, at least, Sigma should stop making lenses for their own Sigma mount. Honestly, how many Sigma SLRs do you see walking about? I can't say I've ever seen one in the wild. Not one.
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
In part then, at least, Sigma should stop making lenses for their own Sigma mount. Honestly, how many Sigma SLRs do you see walking about? I can't say I've ever seen one in the wild. Not one.
Unfortunately I have friends who have said that about Pentax. Still, there are more Pentax dSLRs out there than Sigma dSLRs.