Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I understand you asked about 'macro,' but your responses seen to suggest you may be more interested in extreme close-ups. While the D FA 100/2.8 (both WR and non-WR) are good picks for that use, my favorite for extreme close-ups is the DA*300/4. It's not cheap, but it will not let you down. My 'go-to' field lenses are the DA 300 and D FA 100. If cost is an issue, look for a used non-WR version of the 100. It has the same optical formula as the WR and is excellent, as well.

Cheers...
Interesting!

Best regards,

Sten

04-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyrodgers Quote
I recommend the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG macro. It's heavier than the Pentax 100mm F2.8 but easily matches its IQ (I have both). It is an extremely sharp lens and said to be one of the best lenses Sigma has made. I find it ideal for both portrait & macro....
Very interesting, Tony!

I will have a close look at the Sigm lens
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You know, you never mentioned a budget...I'd you can afford it, the new Sigma 180mm macro may be real winner, especially if you're into bug shooting. The longer focal length will give you more working distance which is a big plus when dealing with skittish animals. Another positive of increased working distance is that you don't cast a shadow on your subject.

But big and heavy it is, cheap it ain't.

Edited to add:
It seems like the Sigma 180mm may not be available to Pentax. I could've swore that I saw it a few months ago on a website for Pentax. What a bummer

Last edited by cali92rs; 04-19-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Updated Info.
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sten Quote
Thank you all so much for your excellent response! I am now leaning towards the Pentax D FA 100 mm WR macro lens.
Agree that this lean is slanted the right way

I love my DFA100WR and feel it is the sharpest lens in my kit and also exudes LTD type build.

It can double as a portrait lens, and with the quick-shift function the long focus throw of a macro is easily overcome.
Plus, some day, in mythical future land, it will work on a Pentax FF.

If at some point you start getting into extreme macro there are other ways to go. Check the club https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/143202-macro-any-means-necessary-club.html

04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I use a Tamron 90mm f2.8 and love it so far, gives nice and crisp images. I even use it as a portrait lens at times.
Example:
04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have a K mount Panagor 90mm 1:1 macro lens, from my experience it takes excellent macro shots. It is a manual lens with a manual aperture, the focus throw is very long which can take some getting used to, but it's excellent for precision focusing. I bought my in the "Marketplace" and have seen other listed here and there for very reasonable prices. Im not sure what my magnification ratio was in the photos below, but it was not maxed out.

I also have the Ltd 35 macro, which is a great "walk around" macro. It goes 1:1, though you would have to be getting pretty close....but still great for impromptu close up/macro shots.

Here are a few examples with these lenses. The Panagor shots were in a studio with strobes. the 35 ltd were all hand held in available light.

Panagor 90mm

Panagor 90mm

Ltd 35 macro

Hope this helps!!!
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I have a K mount Panagor 90mm 1:1 macro lens, from my experience it takes excellent macro shots. It is a manual lens with a manual aperture, the focus throw is very long which can take some getting used to, but it's excellent for precision focusing. I bought my in the "Marketplace" and have seen other listed here and there for very reasonable prices. Im not sure what my magnification ratio was in the photos below, but it was not maxed out.

I also have the Ltd 35 macro, which is a great "walk around" macro. It goes 1:1, though you would have to be getting pretty close....but still great for impromptu close up/macro shots.

Here are a few examples with these lenses. The Panagor shots were in a studio with strobes. the 35 ltd were all hand held in available light.

Panagor 90mm

Panagor 90mm

Ltd 35 macro

Hope this helps!!!
The last pic...the B&W leaf with droplets is wonderful Great work

04-19-2012, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Albums
Good luck with your hunt Sten! Macro lenses are often the sharpest lenses in any manufacturers lineups and as such, its really rare to find a 'bad' macro lens. Pretty much any macro lens you get will have comparable image quality to any other macro lens. As such, your search for the perfect macro lens for you will come down to other lens features, focal length, and price.

If you want to stick with a macro lens that can double as a portrait lens, Id certainly look at macro options between 70mm and 105mm. You can also look at the 50mm macros, but those shorter than 50mm and longer than say 105mm, wont fit your portrait option very well. If you already own a "Fast Fifty" lens, you may want to avoid a macro in that same general focal length, as youve already got a solid portrait option. This was the situation I was in when I bought my macro lens...I had an FA 50 1.4, so getting a 50mm macro seemed a little redundant. I chose the 100mm WR instead. Another thing to consider is the working distance between the subject and the lens. Naturally, youll have to get closer to the subject in question with a 50mm lens vs a 100mm lens. Depending on your intended subject, this can be complicating. Flowers dont mind it much if you get super close to photograph their beauty, however, the local wildlife might, and if you intend to shoot closeups of a live untamed subject, a longer working distance will likely increase your chances of capturing the moment.

I suspect the price/cosmetic features will play a more integral role in your choice. At well over $800 now, the 100mm WR is a bit of a pricy option for a macro lens, especially when you can get a Tamron 90mm for about half of the cost of the Pentax option, and the Tamron lens even has a focus limiter. The tradeoff however, is that the Pentax lens is weather resistant, offers quick shift focus, and has a metal constructed exterior that has a much more 'Limited' feel to it. Additionally, the size and weight of the Pentax are very compact and light considering how well its constructed. Is it worth the extra cost in features that wont really impact the image quality? Thats up to you. Thankfully I dont have to agonize over that decision again!
04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If cost is a concern, you may want to see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html. And as mentioned above, you can get very good results with a close-up adapter mounted on a good lens. Maybe the DA*50-135 isn't a low-budget option, but good glass in the 70-200mm range is available for much less.

AF is not your friend when shooting real macro (1:2 or greater magnification). If your main purpose is shooting macro, then a MF or enlarger lens may be most suitable. If you want the lens to double for general short telephoto and headshot portrait work, then you can spend the money on an AF 'macro' -- or you could get an AF 'portrait' lens and a good closeup optic. See the RAYNOX CLUB here for some brilliant images.
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter

These options are actual macro lenses but are usable for other things. As far as production ~ 100mm lenses go, the D FA 100/2.8 WR is the best. The Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG was a contender but they discontinued it. Another option would be to get an adaptall-2 version of the 90mm/2.5 which is 1:2 or 1:1 with the optional tube or matched 2x. They are mf but an economical option. Another lens that is a work horse for me in macro and general use is the DA 35/2.8 LTD Macro. Anything longer than 100, and you will have to go to used lenses such as the A* or FA* 200/4 or Sigma 180 or another platform such as the Nikkor 200/4 micro.

Edit: I don't have a DA* 50-135mm. I have a DA 35/2.8 LTD macro and D FA 100/2.8 WR macro. The 2 lenses are quite compact. Of course the 35 isn't weather sealed.

Last edited by Blue; 04-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.
04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #26

Original Poster
I am overwhealmed by the good response that I have got. Thank you so much, everyone!

I am now leaning towards the Sigma 70 mm EX DG macro lens.

Since you have all been so nice to me, I will also briefly tell you the story behind my wish for a new macro lens.

I am now in hospital, being treated for a serious disease. I thought that if I get well enough, at least for a reasonably long period, then I would reward myself with a fine new camera. I have the economical means to buy any camera I want. So after quite thorough Internet investigations, I decided on the Nikon D800 with 6 lenses and the best flashlight, to be bought in August, after all hospital treatment.
But this morning my mind just turned around, in a minute or so. I realized that with my health status, it would be wise to keep my burden light, and I do have a fantastic camera, my Pentax K-5, with two fine lenses, and this combination has produced some fine pictures for me frommany countries including Antarctica.
So I decided to stick to my K-5!
And I want a macro lens now, because in periods I am home from hospital and I can take macroictures of flowers there.
I could also get equipment and software to move the camarea incrementally, take many pictures, and then.et the software combine them into one sharp picture.
That is my story.

Best regards,

Sten
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear. Get well soon, Sten.
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

All the best on your road to recovery and your venture into macro photography! We all look forward to your hospital exit and photographic contributions to the forum. Good luck!
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sten Quote
I am overwhealmed by the good response that I have got. Thank you so much, everyone!

I am now leaning towards the Sigma 70 mm EX DG macro lens.

Since you have all been so nice to me, I will also briefly tell you the story behind my wish for a new macro lens.

I am now in hospital, being treated for a serious disease. I thought that if I get well enough, at least for a reasonably long period, then I would reward myself with a fine new camera. I have the economical means to buy any camera I want. So after quite thorough Internet investigations, I decided on the Nikon D800 with 6 lenses and the best flashlight, to be bought in August, after all hospital treatment.
But this morning my mind just turned around, in a minute or so. I realized that with my health status, it would be wise to keep my burden light, and I do have a fantastic camera, my Pentax K-5, with two fine lenses, and this combination has produced some fine pictures for me frommany countries including Antarctica.
So I decided to stick to my K-5!
And I want a macro lens now, because in periods I am home from hospital and I can take macroictures of flowers there.
I could also get equipment and software to move the camarea incrementally, take many pictures, and then.et the software combine them into one sharp picture.
That is my story.

Best regards,

Sten
Ah, focus stacking! Lots of fun! I'm still learning it myself.

I hope you make a full recovery. And show us your pics...
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Inactive Account

For stacking photos you might consider precise, controllable electo-mechanical help: StackShot - Focus Stacking Macro Rail

If the photos are close-up rather than macro (ie < 0.5.x for large flowers like Iris, Daisy, etc) you can get by using a manual focusing rail for stacking.

Your choice of hobby at home is a good one. Your lens choice is a good one.

If you want to migrate to higher magnifications (like small insects & flower parts) the equipment that's been recommended is compatible with that goal.

I hope your health allows you to be comfortable and to go home soon!