Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ah, so budget is not a limiting factor! Well, I haven't used modern macro lenses, just some older MF stuff, and I doubt that any individual here has tried all the offerings. You may want to search the lens reviews here for MACRO and check the reviews and ratings, as well as weight since that's a concern for you. Get well soon!

04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wish you well with your recovery, I do hope all goes well.

I bought a DFA50/2.8 Macro and its a great little performer, and a sharp as 50mm for just getting around with. Only draw back was at 50mm, you do have to be very very close to subject to get anywhere near 1:1, so I have just picked up a DFA100/2.8 (not the WR) to get a little more distance between myslef and subject.

I also took Rio's advice and removed the lens elements from a AF 2x Teleconverter, and use that with my FA*200/2.8 and it works fantasticly as a 200mm AF Macro lens.

All the best
cmohr
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah, so budget is not a limiting factor! Well, I haven't used modern macro lenses, just some older MF stuff, and I doubt that any individual here has tried all the offerings. You may want to search the lens reviews here for MACRO and check the reviews and ratings, as well as weight since that's a concern for you. Get well soon!
Except for the Sigma 180, I own the macro lenses mentioned and a few more.
04-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Best wishes Sten!

04-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the best is supposed to be the FA* 200/4, but that will cost a mint. The DFA 100mm WR and the Tamron 90/2.8 macro are equally awesome.
04-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #36

Original Poster
If I buy the Stack Shot hw, should it be the extended rail package to get that extra length just in case I need it ?

And if I buy the Zerene sw, should it be the Pro version to get the extra functions?

Best regards,

Sten
04-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
For stacking photos you might consider precise, controllable electo-mechanical help: StackShot - Focus Stacking Macro Rail
That's a very good, but very expensive piece of equipment right there. The same results can be achieved with a simple linear stage, like a Newport one:

04-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sten Quote
If I buy the Stack Shot hw, should it be the extended rail package to get that extra length just in case I need it ?

And if I buy the Zerene sw, should it be the Pro version to get the extra functions?

Best regards,

Sten
I wouldn't buy either upgrade until I knew better what I was doing & wanted to do in the future. Well, maybe I'd buy the extended rails now if I might want to full focus depth on things that are bigger than the length of the rails ... or maybe for simple convenience.

Upgrading Zerene is probably trivial when you discover you need extra functionality.

Perhaps you might contact member Nass https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/19173-nass/ who has recently assembled an equivalent system so is further along the learning curve.

Dave
04-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #39

Original Poster
Thank you, Clavius and Newarts!

Best regards,

Sten
04-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #40

Original Poster
I have now ordered the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG macro lens and a suitable 62 mm UV filter for protection.

Thank you all for your help!

Best regards,

Sten
04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I have now ordered the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG macro lens and a suitable 62 mm UV filter for protection.

Thank you all for your help!

Best regards,

Sten
Cool.

Can't wait for you to post some pics. I am needing to make a similar decision.
04-24-2012, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #42

Original Poster
Got the lens Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG macro today.
Shot a few pictures without any arrangement at all.
The first picture was at a fair distance so it got decent depth-of-field (DOF), but of course if I had wanted a good picture, then I would have removed the blurry flowers in the background.
The second picture was close, so its DOF was extremely shallow - focus was on the yellow dark-spotted area slightly to the left and below the middle. This is the kind of picture that I will try when I get my new equipment from Cognisys (Stack Shot) next week. Then I will take a lot of pictures with different focus with Stack Shot and then hopefully combine them into one single all-sharp picture with the software Zerene.

Best regards,
Sten
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Got the lens Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG macro today.
Shot a few pictures without any arrangement at all.
The first picture was at a fair distance so it got decent depth-of-field (DOF), but of course if I had wanted a good picture, then I would have removed the blurry flowers in the background.
The second picture was close, so its DOF was extremely shallow - focus was on the yellow dark-spotted area slightly to the left and below the middle. This is the kind of picture that I will try when I get my new equipment from Cognisys (Stack Shot) next week. Then I will take a lot of pictures with different focus with Stack Shot and then hopefully combine them into one single all-sharp picture with the software Zerene.

Best regards,
Sten
Sten,

The dof for your system is

d = 2CN((1+m/p)/m^2 ~ .04N(1/m+1/p)/ m where N is the f-number on the lens. P is the Pupilary ratio (exit pupil over entrance pupil diameters).

The pupil is how big the aperture looks from outside the lens. To estimate it, just open the lens fully, hold the lens at arm's length, and use a ruler to measure the aperture diameter - do that for both entrance and exit sides of the lens. Report back & we can make up a table to guide you in how big a step size to use for stacks.

This is not really necessary of course, but it is fun for me.

Dave
04-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #44

Congrats on the new lens Sten! Look like youve got a winner. I cant wait to see what you can come up with.

Best of luck on your recovery!
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Sten,

The dof for your system is

d = 2CN((1+m/p)/m^2 ~ .04N(1/m+1/p)/ m where N is the f-number on the lens. P is the Pupilary ratio (exit pupil over entrance pupil diameters).

The pupil is how big the aperture looks from outside the lens. To estimate it, just open the lens fully, hold the lens at arm's length, and use a ruler to measure the aperture diameter - do that for both entrance and exit sides of the lens. Report back & we can make up a table to guide you in how big a step size to use for stacks.

This is not really necessary of course, but it is fun for me.

Dave
Thank you, Dave!

I will try to apply the formula to find out the DOF.

Best regards,
Sten