Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I personally did not like my permanently mounted adapter. Most rear lens caps did not mount on it and at one point it stopped mounting to the camera. Bower adapter. If I'm shooting m42 then I'm shooting all m42 that day with the Pentax adapter. Others have had better luck than I. Are you sure this Helios 33 is available on the cheap? It seems pretty rare.

I also would recommend a 24/28 to pair with your 50. 35 is a nice single lens walkaround but it's still pretty close to 50 and I rarely use my excellent K35f3.5 because of this. A 24/28 is a natural change in focal length for me. Plus you can't crop to make it wider but you can always crop a little to make it longer. some of the best $100 lenses here are the Kiron 28mm and the Pentax K28f3.5. Others will have to comment on the Kiron. I think it was sold as Vivitar and possibly other brands.
I'm pretty excited about the Helios' bokeh, but I'm not sure I could get the Helios 33 cheap. I would grab the 28mm equivalent (because you're right…the ~40mm focal length would be nice), but they're made in Japan (not Russia) with a different design. The images produced with them look nothing like images produced with other Helios lenses. I guess I'm looking for a more "interesting" walk-around lens.

The images I'm seeing from the Kiron 28mm aren't doing it for me. I want something that is sharper wide open. Any other ideas?

05-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Vivitar-A 19mm 3.8 (massively cheaper than the Pentax-A 20mm although slower... Still a good performer though IMO)
Pentax-A 35mm f2 (or f2.8 version for cheaper)
Pentax-A 100mm f4 macro
Pentax-A 135mm f2.8

I reckon if you shop about you could get all these within budget....
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #48

Original Poster
Thanks to an awesome heads up from a fellow poster (thirdofthree), I picked up an A 100mm ƒ/2.8, a Super Program body, and the Program A auto winder for $200 (inc. shipping). I think that's an incredible deal. (; This lens is much sharper than my A 50mm ƒ/1.4, I think—either that, or I find it difficult to focus with the A 50. Here are some pictures I've taken:

Thanks for making the suggestions, guys. I'll post new images as I get the other lenses. I've got my eyes on an A 28mm ƒ/2.0 next, and I'm saving pennies for when it pops up. (:

Last edited by keyofnight; 06-04-2012 at 11:00 AM.
05-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice results there.

I've just picked up my 2nd copy of a Vivitar 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 that I liked very much. This one looks quite good too, but it hasn't yet been rigorously tested. It's a Kobori make, serial number begins with 77; solidly built but zoom does creep, and it's a push-pull zoom which turns some people away. I think the push-pull will be ideal for video myself. It's my only m-focus 'A' lens so I can't recommend much else. It came with a 50/2M, flash, bag and ME special-edition film body (leather wrapped, nice!) - and the whole set cost under $50! A great catch, some days I get a break from those last-minute auction losses.

Here's a shot of my old copy to help ID it -

and how well it works - love the 'macro' mode even if it isn't

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 05-24-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added images
08-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You could substitute the A 24/2.8 and A 100/2.8 and still make budget if you are lucky.

Since you posted a pet shot with the 50/1.4 so will I...
Over a year later, I've finally assembled that kit. I went with Boriscleto's suggestion, and I found the A 24mm ƒ/2.8. I was very close to going with the 20mm ƒ/2.8, but it is expensive and makes me nauseous looking through it. Maybe one day I'll go that wide, I'm very happy with this lens for now. Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments and awesome support. (:

Here's the obligatory goofy picture of my new toys:

I'll post sample shots soon. Let's say in a couple weeks?
08-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Nice...
I keep thinking if i should add the A24/2.8 into my A-series collection.. LoL! Keep having to stop myself asi own the 24/2...
Hmm.... But LBA has got me thinking that the 24/2 is so much bigger... LOL!
08-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #52
Moderator PEG Judges

Alternatively you could blow the budget completely, get full blown LBA and buy what ever you want.

You would not be the first, last or alone on this forum.
08-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Alternatively you could blow the budget completely, get full blown LBA and buy what ever you want.
We should all try to get away from LBA when possible, I would think. (:

08-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm already toying with the idea of finding a revolving glass display cum dry cabinet, just like those fancy jewelry display cabinet, so that i may display my lens collection and yet functionally use it as a dry cabinet...

Anyone ever done it up yet?