Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Sharpness and Megapixels

Hi I have a question that I have been wondering about for the last few weeks since I upgraded to a K5. At first I was un happy with my new camera pictures didn't come out as sharp as on my K100, when I scaled the pictures down to the same size as the k100 they looked pretty much the same. With more Megapixels do you need better lenses to perform with the camera. I have noticed a massive difference today in a few pics I took with the DA300 compared to the Sigma 70-300.

04-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
Hi I have a question that I have been wondering about for the last few weeks since I upgraded to a K5. At first I was un happy with my new camera pictures didn't come out as sharp as on my K100, when I scaled the pictures down to the same size as the k100 they looked pretty much the same. With more Megapixels do you need better lenses to perform with the camera. I have noticed a massive difference today in a few pics I took with the DA300 compared to the Sigma 70-300.
Yes, the resolving power can be limited by either the lens or the sensor.
04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try photographing a matchbox or something like that at a distance. The image taken with the K100D might look a little sharper, but I bet you will make out more of the writing on the matchbox with the K5D. You just need to sharpen the image a tad more but the detail will be higher.

If a lens is 'outresolved' by the sensor, it's not really a bad thing IMHO. You'll probably have some lenses which still outresolve the sensor, but you don't need to replace the ones that don't as you'll only really notice the effect at a 100% view.

I had an istDL2 (6MP) and the jpegs were very highly sharpened in-camera. I wonder if this is also contributing.