Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
ND Filter

Hi everyone. I am thinking of buying an ND filter for my smc A f/1.4 lens that I use with my K100D. I have never used an ND filter before. Would like to know if anyone is using the same camera as I with an ND filter? What would be a recommended starting point.ie, how many stops? Thanks, Joe Please feel free to post any photos using K100d with ND filter.

04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What sort of photos do you want to create using a ND filter?
04-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera is immaterial. The only things that matter are getting the right thread diameter and determining how many stops you want darken. And for that you need to know what kind of pictures you want to take and what the ambient light is going to be.

Cutting the sky down one stop for a landscape is going to take a very different setup than making a water fall have that milky dreamy look.
04-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

as others said, you need to know what you want to achieve first eg: dream like water, cars on street in daylight, or even shooting portraits wide open on bright days with flash..

04-20-2012, 07:44 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I'm sure you probably already know this but.... it just cuts the light level by a given amount. So.....

1) The ND filter will allow you to use a slower shutter speed for a given light condition than you would normally be able to. eg for blurring waterfalls etc.

2) Or on the flipside, the ND filter will let you use a larger (faster) aperture in bright conditons. eg for shallow DOF in bright conditions.

3) If you are using flash outdoors for fill light on something that is backlit the maximum shutter sync speed is 1/180 so you might have to reduce the light.

Usually the amount of light reduction is easiest to understand in the number of "stops" of light which are lost. Of course each stop of ND in front of the lens will mean 1 stop of change to your aperture (eg f4 could be opened up to f2.8 ) OR shutter speed (eg could be slowed down from 1/250s to 1/125s).
Manufacturers also express in terms of optical density ?.? ND which is a logarithmic scale of how much light is transmitted or filter factor "ND?x" number where the ? is 2^(number of stops) because the light is halved for each stop.

1 stop = ND2x = 0.3 ND
2 stop = ND4x = 0.6 ND
3 stop = ND8x = 0.9 ND
6 stop = ND64x = 1.8 ND
"9 stop" = ND400x = "2.7"ND (actually this Hoya filter is only about 8-1/2 stops)
10 stop = ND1000x = 3.0 ND

A Circular polariser reduces light by about 1-1/2 to 2 stops so if you have one of those theres a pseudo ND 3x ish filter there.

I'm not sure a 1stop is that useful in the field as it does do enough. Maybe more for studio or product photos.

A 3 stop ND8x is handy in general photography it can open up you aperture from f5.6 in bright condtions down to f2 for shallow DOF.
For slowing the shutter you can get 8 times the exposure time for blurring
eg for a reasonably bright EV11 your might select ISO100, f11, and get 1/15s. With a 3 stop ND this would become 1/2second exposure instead.
I have used a flash in bright sun EV16 and used a 3 stop and kept the shutter under 1/180s.

If you want to do 20, 30, 60 ....... second exposures in daytime then you need a some "black glass" or a 9 or 10 stop ND. see here for examples
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/16293...hots-here.html

What size is your filter for your ??mm f1.4 lens.
I'm guessing it might be a Pentax 50mm f.14 (M, A, F or FA) in which case it takes a 49mm filter thread.
Note: a K 50/1.4 is 52mm, DA*55 is 58mm as is M 35/1.4 - never seen one, FA*85/1.4 is 67mm - can I buy it from you?, A Sigma 50/1.4 is 77mm and the 30/1.4 is 62mm.

Anyway, In this link I searched B&H for ND filters (in 49mm) from B+W & Hoya brands. Just an example , there are other brands and other stores of course......
Neutral Density (Solid)
Availability is 1stop, 2 stop, 3 stop, 6 stop and 9 stop(Hoya), 10 stop (B+W) in the 49mm size.

for more reading on the darker 9 or 10 stop ND's I found this helpful
"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

hope that helps

cheers

Last edited by steve1307; 04-20-2012 at 07:55 AM.
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies. I enjoyed the link with the photos. I read in Steve's post that "A 3 stop ND8x is handy in general photography it can open up your aperture from f5.6 in bright condtions down to f2 for shallow DOF.
For slowing the shutter you can get 8 times the exposure time for blurring." I think I will get a 3 stop to start off with.
I have a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, (uses a 52mm filter), a Sigma 18-200 zoom f/3.5-6.3,(uses a 62mm filter) and the smc A 50mm f/1.4,(uses a 49mm filter).
Not sure what my subject/s will be yet. I quess I will have to experiment and eventually find it. I really love architecture and I shoot mostly in the day.Thanks again everybody.
04-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Shots like these below need a 10 stop, a 3 stop is no where near enough. So it all depends on what you want to create.....

04-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Bloody hell twitch! I might just have to get some ND filters after all....

04-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

thanks, you see I'm a ND addict

....these with a 6 stop

04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow Twitch , those are amazing photos @ 10 and 6 stops. Do you ever use a 3 stop? Would like to see what those look like.
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
Wow Twitch , those are amazing photos @ 10 and 6 stops. Do you ever use a 3 stop? Would like to see what those look like.
I don't have a 3 stop and to be honest don't miss it. 90% of the time 10 stop is the ticket for the photos I want to take.
04-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

great photos!

for me, 3 stop is useless - CPL is already 1-2 stops already so i would tend to use that instead
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, it looks like I will start my ND journey with a 6 stop and see what I can do. Thanks for all the replies guys.Hopefully soon, I will be able to post what I've done.
10-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one. I am in a similar position to OP, looking to get into ND Filters for a variety of photography needs, sometimes just taking a better landscape pic (bluer sky, brighter foreground), blurry waterfall effects, and better DOF Portrait photography.

My Camera is K-50 and my two prime lenses that I currently own are;

50mm 1.8 Ricoh Imaging | PENTAX-DA 50MM F1.8 SMC and 100mm 2.8 Macro Ricoh Imaging | PENTAX-D FA MACR 100MM F2.8 WR

The 50/1.8 seems to be 52mm filter size and the 100/2.8 49mm, I also have the kit lens (18-55) which is also 52mm, so I'm leaning towards a 52mm ND Filter set to start with. Is there an adapter that I could use so that a 52mm filter might anchor somehow onto my 49mm 100/2.8 lens?

I am yet to really order a 'landscape' lens, I'm thinking I will use the kit lens down at 18-24mm for now, but has anyone got a recommendation for a landscape lens that is also 52mm filter sized?

I am just starting to look at filters/polarisers etc, and am at a loss as to what to go for, some like the polariser seem quite expensive hence my interest in narrowing down a choice of landscape lens whereby i can use an expensive filter across multiple lenses rather than doubling up etc.

Here is a variable ND filter, pretty pricey ($150AUD) as well, but at least it's one thing that could fit two of my lenses, cuts down things to carry when out and about...

ProMaster 52mm Variable ND Digital HGX Filter

But then i can buy other variable ones like this on ebay (from Aussie sellers but the item maybe Hong Kong), far cheaper... ($15AUD)

AU 52mm FOTGA Fader Adjustable Variable Neutral Density ND Filter ND2 - ND400 | eBay

And then there are kits, multiple filters for not much over $20AUD as well...

Does the Promaster selling for $150AUD (I noted $102USD on Amazon) really perform better than these cheap ebay things? I'm guessing so..

I am based in Australia if this helps.

Cheers,

Bruce
10-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one. I am in a similar position to OP, looking to get into ND Filters for a variety of photography needs, sometimes just taking a better landscape pic (bluer sky, brighter foreground), blurry waterfall effects, and better DOF Portrait photography.

My Camera is K-50 and my two prime lenses that I currently own are;

50mm 1.8 Ricoh Imaging | PENTAX-DA 50MM F1.8 SMC and 100mm 2.8 Macro Ricoh Imaging | PENTAX-D FA MACR 100MM F2.8 WR

The 50/1.8 seems to be 52mm filter size and the 100/2.8 49mm, I also have the kit lens (18-55) which is also 52mm, so I'm leaning towards a 52mm ND Filter set to start with. Is there an adapter that I could use so that a 52mm filter might anchor somehow onto my 49mm 100/2.8 lens?

I am yet to really order a 'landscape' lens, I'm thinking I will use the kit lens down at 18-24mm for now, but has anyone got a recommendation for a landscape lens that is also 52mm filter sized?

I am just starting to look at filters/polarisers etc, and am at a loss as to what to go for, some like the polariser seem quite expensive hence my interest in narrowing down a choice of landscape lens whereby i can use an expensive filter across multiple lenses rather than doubling up etc.

Here is a variable ND filter, pretty pricey ($150AUD) as well, but at least it's one thing that could fit two of my lenses, cuts down things to carry when out and about...

ProMaster 52mm Variable ND Digital HGX Filter

But then i can buy other variable ones like this on ebay (from Aussie sellers but the item maybe Hong Kong), far cheaper... ($15AUD)

AU 52mm FOTGA Fader Adjustable Variable Neutral Density ND Filter ND2 - ND400 | eBay

And then there are kits, multiple filters for not much over $20AUD as well...

Does the Promaster selling for $150AUD (I noted $102USD on Amazon) really perform better than these cheap ebay things? I'm guessing so..

I am based in Australia if this helps.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello,

Lens wise and filter I think is a matter of money.

Landscape topic:
The wider the better. If you buy let' s say a DFA 15 mm LTD you will have a 49mm thread (this I bought to use for my landscapes) ; I wouldn' t say it' s magical, but it' s a WA on crop which is sharp.
ND filters for landscapes are recommended be GND (anybody can feel free to correct me, as I am not sure 100 percent) , unless you want the misty look of water or landscape bright earth (snow, after the rain and suddenly sun) ; again feel free to correct me or add info' s.

Filter topic:
Personally I have a Hoya Pro 500 ND. For the 49mm thread, rather cheap.
Not my first option, but the BW are not available in my country (they are better quality built aparently) .
There is also Marumi that fetches good reviews.

About the ND topic, there are Youtube tutorials on how to simulate the effect for landscapes in PS (or LR, can' t remember) to a very good extent and results.

Some samples of the combination 15mm + Hoya CPL + Hoya ND Pro 500