Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Helios 44-2 that needs a little more work to focus..

Okay, I just got my second Helios, and it's driving me crazy

It's 44-2 numbered but it seems to look like 44-3 featured in this thread and yes it's having the same " focus ring nests OVER the lens mount" problem.

04-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! We learn something new every day! Yes, that is a 44-2, but it looks to share build with the troublesome 44-3. Time to grind down the back of the focus ring Either that or buy a Zenit. I occurred to me too that some of the older Pentax SLRs also have a small diameter body flange. Might work on one of them too!

Steve
04-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe it's a lens made up of parts ? It's certainly an oddity.
04-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! We learn something new every day! Yes, that is a 44-2, but it looks to share build with the troublesome 44-3. Time to grind down the back of the focus ring Either that or buy a Zenit. I occurred to me too that some of the older Pentax SLRs also have a small diameter body flange. Might work on one of them too!

Steve
I have been cautious toward 44-3, so I thought this lens is safe
Grinding down with a lathe has come to mind, but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Maybe it's a lens made up of parts ? It's certainly an oddity.
The lens is almost new and bears no evidence of being opened. If this lens really is an oddity, don't you think that it would be better to left it the way it is?

04-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I have been cautious toward 44-3, so I thought this lens is safe
Grinding down with a lathe has come to mind, but...

The lens is almost new and bears no evidence of being opened. If this lens really is an oddity, don't you think that it would be better to left it the way it is?
Possibly it will be of interest to serious collectors who must have every possible version, and there are plenty of very good 44-2's out there. As I said in another thread, I was at a UK camera fair today and walked away from a lot of 44-2's priced at no more than a pint of beer. 44M's would have been two pints of beer.
I already have two, I don't need another. But I was tempted......
04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Possibly it will be of interest to serious collectors who must have every possible version, and there are plenty of very good 44-2's out there. As I said in another thread, I was at a UK camera fair today and walked away from a lot of 44-2's priced at no more than a pint of beer. 44M's would have been two pints of beer.
I already have two, I don't need another. But I was tempted......
Two pints! Now that's more like it