Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood for the takumar 28mm f3.5

This might be a stupid question, but I will give it a go..

I have a super-tak 28mm f3.5, and a few weeks ago, I bought a brand new-looking lens hood for this. It is the one wiht a square front. When trying to fit this on the lens, I found out that the hood does not have any threads. How do I go about fitting this hood on the lens?

04-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which version of the ST 28/3.5 do you have? The square hoods are designed for the later version with 49mm filter thread. I believe the hood slips on and tightens down with a ring. The early version (58mm filter thread) takes a round slip-on hood with a much larger diameter opening that tightens down with a set-screw.

Steve
04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

It has a clutch--rotate the ring at the back of the hood and it clamps onto the lens--that way you can mount filters inside it. But there is a 58mm and 49mm version--depending on your lens--early tak was 58mm (anyway as I recall--but it will be obvious if it's the wrong one). I think these hoods are very efficient, you just have to be aware and not bump/shift it w/o noticing it.
04-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh! My lens is a 58mm, that explains why the square hood doesn't fit. So now, either dump the hood or the lens... hm...

Thank you for helping out.

04-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Oh! My lens is a 58mm, that explains why the square hood doesn't fit. So now, either dump the hood or the lens... hm...

Thank you for helping out.
That means you have the early version of the 28mm!
04-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

Actually I use the older takumar hoods on more modern lenses. I for example used this hood on a Nikon full frame film camera w/ 35mm lens and step down rings.

You just need to get a step down to 49mm and then mount a 49mm filter ring. As you have the 28mm lens and hood get a 58-49mm step down ring and then an old 49mm filter and remove the glass. I am assuming you are using dslr so the step down should be fine.
04-22-2012, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Actually I use the older takumar hoods on more modern lenses. I for example used this hood on a Nikon full frame film camera w/ 35mm lens and step down rings.

You just need to get a step down to 49mm and then mount a 49mm filter ring. As you have the 28mm lens and hood get a 58-49mm step down ring and then an old 49mm filter and remove the glass. I am assuming you are using dslr so the step down should be fine.
His lens has a fairly large diameter barrel and is made to accept a 58mm filter. The hood he has is a slip-on type made to fit a lens with a much smaller diameter. A 58-49 step-down ring might physically work, but the vignette would be something awful, even on APS-C.

Steve
04-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Too bad you are on another continent. I have the hood you need (pristine condition, new-old-stock, in box) sitting on the counter behind me. I bought it to fit a lens that I had to send back and now I have a hood that fits nothing in my bag. PM me if you want it and don't mind getting it from half a world away.

Steve

04-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter

(Steve) I don't know that he cannot use the hood on that lens--I for example use a hood for 135-200mm (49mm diameter) on my M 50mm f1.7 w/o vingnetting. And I use a Nikon hood for 50mm (w/ a PL or two filters) on my FA28-70mm w/o problem at 28mm.

My gut feeling is he (the OP) can! But if you have tried it please correct me.
04-22-2012, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
(Steve) I don't know that he cannot use the hood on that lens--I for example use a hood for 135-200mm (49mm diameter) on my M 50mm f1.7 w/o vingnetting. And I use a Nikon hood for 50mm (w/ a PL or two filters) on my FA28-70mm w/o problem at 28mm.

My gut feeling is he (the OP) can! But if you have tried it please correct me.
I too use a hood designed for 50mm when shooting APS-C with my 28mm lenses. Here , the problem is not the depth of the ring + hood. The smaller hood supports the same FOV (is the same depth) as the larger model, the big difference is circumference. The large diameter 28/3.5 has a much bigger front element than the small diameter version and a 49mm step-down would actually be impinging on the edge of the glass by several millimeters. Up until a few days ago, I owned the larger version. Here is a photo so you can see what I mean...

No, that is not a filter on the front of the lens. That is the front element. Compare to ST 55/1.8 (49mm filter ring) on the same camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2012 at 05:23 PM.
04-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

+1 on Steve's posts. The earlier 28mm is a different optical design as well as having that large front element. I think both versions are over-looked Taks.