Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Curious..what is this

HOLGA PINHOLE Lens HPL-P PENTAX DSLR SLR K-5 K-r K-x K-m K-7 K20D K110D LOMO

Saw this on EB. What is it. Did a search here...nothing. Thanks muchly.

04-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Are you asking what a pinhole lens is, or are you asking how good this particular pinhole lens is?
04-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Start here: Pinhole camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then read: Pinhole Photography: From Historic Technique to Digital Application

All will become crystal-clear, which is more than can be said of many pinhole shots.
04-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Never heard of this before. Thank you. Rio Rico sent a link to get further info. Fellow members, please don't waste your precious time responding any further to my post. On the other hand, there may be others who wish to know more. Thank you Senor Rico.

04-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Never heard of this before. Thank you. Rio Rico sent a link to get further info. Fellow members, please don't waste your precious time responding any further to my post. On the other hand, there may be others who wish to know more. Thank you Senor Rico.
!De nada, 'migo! (You are welcome.) I built my first oatmeal-carton pinhole cam (PC) in 1975. One of the first add-ons I got for my K20D was a Lens-In-A-Cap pinhole. (Advice: don't bother.) My sister gave me a beautiful handcrafted wood 6x9 pinhole cam a few years ago. (Where did I put it?) Yes, pinhead pinhole photography can be fun and rewarding. Read the book I mentioned and be astounded. (It can sometimes be found in torrents.)

Pinhole technology still evolves. I have ideas for BIG PCs. The largest built so far was an aircraft hangar. I think the huge VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building) at Cape Canaveral would make a nice PC. So would the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff Arizona, covered over. But for a REALLY BIG ONE, I'd take a nickel-iron asteroid and blow it out into a large cylinder maybe 10km long and 5km thick, then use the oatmeal-carton approach.

There is a basic problem with using pinholes on our dSLRs. That problem is the register aka flange-focal distance, caused by the mirrorbox. IMHO pinhole cams work best when build with very short focal lengths, for wide-angle deep-DOF shots. Consider an oatmeal carton, about 10in long and 5in thick (thus a 5in focal length). An 8x10in sheet of photo paper has a diagonal of 13in (its 'normal' focal length). To get the same effect with my K20D would mean putting the pinhole just 10mm from the frame. Can't be done. The absolute closest a pinhole could set is at about 35mm -- and that still makes it a short tele.

The other problem with my Lens-In-A-Cap pinhole is that it's impossible to keep clean. Thus every image has nice big dust shadows. I hate when that happens.

I don't know the specifics of the Holga pinhole but I haven't read complaints about it so maybe it works well -- on a Holga. Or maybe Holga-users just don't notice, or care.