Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
Metal (steel) is perhaps the worst material to make lenses out of with modern technology.
...steel? Who said they are made of steel?

Steve

04-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Some say the FA Limiteds have pixie dust, but in fact this quality is not in any way mystical, but was designed into the FA43 and FA77 by Jun Hirakawa. (He did not design the FA31 but rather the FA35.)
...well that explains why I am so fond of the FA 35

Steve
04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Possible new prefixes:

* PPD - Pentax-Pixie-Dusted
* SDC - Super-Duper-Coated
* TUC - The Ultimate Coating
* IGC - Insanely Great Coating
* XTC - eXtreme Takumar Coating

While we're at it, Pentax needs an image make-over, part of the re-branding as A Ricoh Company. Let's start by dumping the designation Limited. Users don't want to be limited. No, the permium Pentax primes (PPP's) should be UN-LIMITED! The SDM motors should be thoroughly debugged and updated, and labeled as Super-Duper-Motors -- still SDM, with SDC (Super-Duper-Coating). Maybe all Pentax products should be re-flagged as SUPER-DUPER.
Rio,
Didn't George Carlin do a variation of this in a routine on Ed Sullivan before the Hippy Dippy Weatherman?
04-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...steel? Who said they are made of steel?

Steve
Aluminum is probably worse than steel as it's more affected by temp varaition than steel, IIRC.

04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Aluminum is probably worse than steel as it's more affected by temp varaition than steel, IIRC.
Who said they are made of aluminum? I have never disassembled a Pentax lens, but there is usually a mix of metals used in construction. The only ones I have worked on that were all aluminum are lenses from the former Soviet Union. They are incredibly light. The heaviest lens I own (late-model Jupiter-9) is made of brass, steel, and alloy. Other lenses I have serviced have a mix of brass and alloy with stainless steel hardware.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How unique are they? Witness the number of Canon users who are willing to pay very good money for these lenses for their FF bodies and then either surgically alter the lens or shave the mirrors of their cameras just for the privilege of shooting with them as manual focus, manual apertures glass.

Steve
I was unaware that there were that many doing so. The level of effort involved must be a bit and then there is the possibility of flubbing the job and damaging either the lens or the camera.
04-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I was unaware that there were that many doing so. The level of effort involved must be a bit and then there is the possibility of flubbing the job and damaging either the lens or the camera.
They usually cut the stop down lever on K-mount lenses. I have seen them do this to K and A 50/1.2 and other sought after K-mount glass as well. The mod they do to the mirror of some of the ff Canon is to shave it so it clears the rear element of certain lenses. They do that for not just Pentax/Asahi Optical, but other brands as well.
04-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I never really did get into plasticrap or polycarbocrap, though. I prefer brass and aluminum over it.

04-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

...well that explains why I am so fond of the FA 35

Steve
Nyargh! Fueling my LBA! Must... Wait...

Reckon the Samsung versions are the ultimate sleeper lenses...
04-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I never really did get into plasticrap or polycarbocrap, though. I prefer brass and aluminum over it.
I think that you are unfairly prejudiced against modern engineering plastics as materials of construction. Properly used in a well-designed and engineered product they are as good as (and sometimes superior to) metal. Unfortunately some companies (I don't mention Canikon by name) have used them in cheap designs which have given them a bad rep.

Regards, Jim
04-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
I think that you are unfairly prejudiced against modern engineering plastics as materials of construction. Properly used in a well-designed and engineered product they are as good as (and sometimes superior to) metal. Unfortunately some companies (I don't mention Canikon by name) have used them in cheap designs which have given them a bad rep.

Regards, Jim
Nothing I said should be construed as prejudiced against plastic. I stated I prefer the metal and brass lenses. Plus, don't underestimate modern engineering in metallurgy and machining techniques either. Pentax makes some lenses beside the LTD series out of metal as well. The plasticrap comment was in fact pointed at the cheap designs.
04-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I have a plastic Isco and an aluminum Ludwig lens in M42 screw-mount,
purchased new around the same time as my SMC Takumars.
After all these years, none has survived any better or worse than the others.
04-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LBA here. Pledges? Bwa Ha Ha!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I wrote it and know what it says. It has always said "new" meaning BNIB. I'm very sorry if you misunderstood. Buying SuperTaks, M, A, F, and other old lenses was never part of the pledge, nor was buying used because the entire intent is not to reinforce Pentax for bad behavior. Paying another photographer for his kit does not put any money into Pentax's pockets even indirectly. I'm very sorry if you can't see that.
Admit it: LBA has rendered your 'pledge' worth less than the pixels displaying it!

Don't take it too hard. LBA doesn't care about and has never been affected by pledges, promises or 12-step programs.

04-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I *like* solid-feeling metal-body lenses. I *appreciate* stress-resistant polycarbonate-body lenses. The latter will survive more abuse.

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Didn't George Carlin do a variation of this in a routine on Ed Sullivan before the Hippy Dippy Weatherman?
I missed that one. Virtually no TV between 1967-1982. Guess I'm culturally deprived-depraved.
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I *like* solid-feeling metal-body lenses. I *appreciate* stress-resistant polycarbonate-body lenses. The latter will survive more abuse.

I missed that one. Virtually no TV between 1967-1982. Guess I'm culturally deprived-depraved.
George Carlin played the taxi driver in the movie "Car Wash" in a role that seemed like he was trying to be Richard Pryor (who was also in that movie).