Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I wrote it and know what it says. It has always said "new" meaning BNIB. I'm very sorry if you misunderstood. Buying SuperTaks, M, A, F, and other old lenses was never part of the pledge, nor was buying used because the entire intent is not to reinforce Pentax for bad behavior. Paying another photographer for his kit does not put any money into Pentax's pockets even indirectly. I'm very sorry if you can't see that.
The lens price increase slows buying down (not a bad thing either in general).
I just don't see the reason why giving a bit more money, perhaps once in a year or two years for a new lens is a no-no/bad thing if it will also help to keep the camera company you are using in the blue.
Not as if we are going to buy a boat load of new lenses in a year.

With opportunistic buys during special offers that pop up during festive occasions, I'm sure there are still pretty reasonable prices for the lenses.

04-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
Mostly off topic, but this must go somewhere.

Metal (steel) is perhaps the worst material to make lenses out of with modern technology. It's comparatively heavy and temperature sensitive while not offering anything over polycarbonate versions, except for a perceived superiority on par with luxury cars, ie, unjustified increase in price, causing a reduction in bang/buck.
For build quality, any increase in toughness when it matters is offset by the greater force experienced throughout its life. Drop or bang a metal lens into anything and it is likely to experience double the force compared to a homologous polycarbonate one, which is likely to decentre elements and damage the housing.
The subjective 'feel' of a lens is also questionable, as metals are great heat conductors and will drain heat much faster from the user in colder weather, which is rarely desirable. Steel also expands and contracts much more significantly, possibly affecting focus accuracy and focal plane placement, as well as other optical alignments.
After using several zeiss and leica lenses in moderately adverse and demanding conditions, as well as an autofocus pancake, I find that calling 'metal construction' an asset is a terribly misguided act. In general use, it is not a significant liability unless the weight penalty gets too far out of hand (often with zeiss slr lenses compared to their equivalents). However, the issue of cost is a global one, and as long as the luxury, high quality mentality exists, it is unlikely that this issue will subside.
Steel is a physically poor material to create precision instruments that may be subjected to moderate environmental stresses in the face of polycarbonate.
You just earned a "Like" from me for that plastastic post!
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
While we're at it, Pentax needs an image make-over, part of the re-branding as A Ricoh Company. Let's start by dumping the designation Limited. Users don't want to be limited. No, the permium Pentax primes (PPP's) should be UN-LIMITED!
Ain't gonna happen. Ricoh liked them so much that they named the entire company after them!

Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd.
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The lens price increase slows buying down (not a bad thing either in general).
I just don't see the reason why giving a bit more money, perhaps once in a year or two years for a new lens is a no-no/bad thing if it will also help to keep the camera company you are using in the blue.
Not as if we are going to buy a boat load of new lenses in a year.

With opportunistic buys during special offers that pop up during festive occasions, I'm sure there are still pretty reasonable prices for the lenses.
I don't buy anything at MSRP including vehicles. It isn't a purchasing slow down for me, its a stoppage.

04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't buy anything at MSRP including vehicles. It isn't a purchasing slow down for me, its a stoppage.
Are we even talking about MSRP's anymore? With Pentax, shouldn't we change it to MORP? (Manufacturer ORDERED Retail Price)
04-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talking about optical quality.... I've heard and seen so much about the EF 85mm f1.2. While the 77mm isn't as fast, and isn't as long... I think they are a good comparison? having shot with both (very limited use with the 85) I find the double priced 85 hard to justify compared to the 77... how do others feel?

Last edited by Wired; 04-22-2012 at 09:17 PM.
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
Steel also expands and contracts much more significantly
Everything true, but not this - the thermal expansion coefficient of stainless steel is 5 to 7 times smaller than that of Polycarbonate.

Last edited by Ikarus; 04-22-2012 at 09:22 PM.
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Are we even talking about MSRP's anymore? With Pentax, shouldn't we change it to MORP? (Manufacturer ORDERED Retail Price)
I prefer MERP - Manufacturer Enforced Retail Price.

"Lookout, it's the Pentax Police!"

"merp"

04-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Everything true, but not this - the thermal expansion coefficient of stainless steel is 5 to 7 times smaller than that of Polycarbonate.
Strange and curious. I once asked an optical engineer (maybe that's why :P) why they made bodies out of Mg alloy but lenses out of polycarbonate, and he gave me a few reasons, one of them being that one.

Anyway, I personally prefer polycarbonate lenses, partly because they include my most lustworthy ones. However the 28 elmarit and 40/2 ultron are some metal lenses that I really love.