Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios 44M - How to tell if MC ?

Bonjour,

Just a quick and maybe silly question ... I read a post by stevebrot saying that some Helios 44M were MC ... how does one tell? Written on the lens, etc.? I just picked up one and it's great ... just curious and thanks for any input. Here's some images ...

Salut et merci encore, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
04-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm no expert but I have a 44-2 (not M) and my understanding was that the "M" means its mult-coated (such as 44M) where as my 44-2 is only single coated (or at least a less efficient coating anyway).

Its a fun lens to have - bokeh can be pretty interesting.
04-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had always thought that the 'M' referenced the mount, M42 where as the 44K is a Pentax K mount version, but I guess that might not be the case either. As for multi-coating at least with the lenses intended for export (with Latin style lettering) that are multi-coated seem to all have 'MC' printed on the front of the lens. I have seen a couple of non-export lenses ( with cryillic lettering) that didn't have the 'MC' but appeared to have multi-coating at least on some elements. MC versions usually have bright, saturated pink, blue, magenta and orange reflections, while single coated lenses usually have very pale reflections when holding the lens up to the light. For what it's worth I have a single coated version that I prefer over my multi coated ones (as long as you don't shoot into the sun that is)
04-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The "M" means that it is auto-aperture and has the pin to stop down the aperture on most M42 film camera bodies. To the best of my knowledge, no Helios-44M is multi-coated (Edit:, see comments below...I was mistaken). If a Helios-44 variant has multi-coated optics, it is prominently labeled as "MC" on the lens front.

All that being said, I think you are really going to like shooting with your new Helios-44M. I have been very happy with mine and its image quality.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
04-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's the list of Helios 44s including the "MC" ones, all descended from mother CZJ Biotar (1936) after the war.

Last edited by Gray; 04-22-2012 at 09:20 AM.
04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Here's the list of Helios 44s including the "MC" ones, all descended from mother CZJ Biotar (1936) after the war.
Well, that is the definitive source on the Web for Helios 44 data and I stand corrected! There was a MC version of the 44M, just not a lot of them made.

Steve
04-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Bonjour Gray,

Thanks for the link ... mine is then just a "plain Jane" 44M, probably made in 1980, since the serial number is 8031509 ... I read that this is a common serial number trait with these type lenses. No MC which is OK with me.

I have only had the lens since the beginning of April and have shot limited captures mostly indoors due to cruddy weather conditions and lack of time ... I am sure that I'm going to enjoy this KMZ and will start hunting for others from now now!

Salut et merci encore, John le Frog

04-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci aussi aux autres ...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The "M" means that it is auto-aperture and has the pin to stop down the aperture on most M42 film camera bodies. To the best of my knowledge, no Helios-44M is multi-coated (Edit:, see comments below...I was mistaken). If a Helios-44 variant has multi-coated optics, it is prominently labeled as "MC" on the lens front.

All that being said, I think you are really going to like shooting with your new Helios-44M. I have been very happy with mine and its image quality.

Steve
Bonjour stevebrot, Odinz & kiwi_jono,

Thanks for your information and help.

And I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a lot of fun shooting the K-5 with it!

Salut, J Frog