Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Broken 21mm

Went out last week to a fish market in Manila for dinner, with K01 and 21mm.

Initially all was working well but then the lens stopped focussing.

I thought it was due to lack of light and blamed the K01 bit when I got back to the hotel, the lens felt loose and then the front of the lens with all the optics in it came unscrewed from the rear with mount and some electronics.

Although it was fascinating to see inside, I suspect it'll be quite theft repair bill when I take it to the UK distributor when I get back home.

This is a first for me - anyone else have lenses separating?

04-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to a thread with a similar situation.

I seem to remember another thread specifically about a 21mm that fell apart but I could not find it in a search. I have had older lenses (Takumars) become loose but never had a problem with anything modern. Was it still within the warranty period? And did you find all the parts?
04-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thegoderic Quote

I thought it was due to lack of light and blamed the K01 bit when I got back to the hotel, the lens felt loose and then the front of the lens with all the optics in it came unscrewed from the rear with mount and some electronics.

Although it was fascinating to see inside, I suspect it'll be quite theft repair bill when I take it to the UK distributor when I get back home.

I can't believe a limited lens would fall apart like that. Has Canikon also suffered incidents like this?
04-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear You are not alone though, MikeSF had a FA77 fall apart exactly like that. I recall others had a DA40 and a FA50 fall apart.

04-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There was a thread on a French forum about DA 21's separating like this.
04-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yes, happened to my ~6mo old FA77. probably the threadlocking issue.
good luck!
04-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thegoderic Quote

I was over there last week too! , unfortunately didn't get time to go to "Dampa" this time, as was hard at work 60km away.
Think yourself lucky the lens didnt fall apart whilst still at the market, you'd have no chance of finding all the bits let alone repairing it.

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I can't believe a limited lens would fall apart like that. Has Canikon also suffered incidents like this?
I have read (probably on dpreview) about some Canon 24-70 L lens falling apart at the mount. I also know someone who had on of their kit lenses 55-200 ?? fall to bits on them.

There was even a news report some time ago about a Canon lens falling out of the sky.

Edit: here it is , and also found some more info about Canon lenses falling off mounts altogether!
http://www.prophotoshow.net/2009/05/18/canon-5d-mk2-lens-falling-off-problem/
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/09/15/camera-lens-falls-from-sky-through-roof-of-petaluma-home/

Last edited by steve1307; 04-24-2012 at 07:34 AM.
09-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
An update - sent the lens to Asahi Photo in London for repair - they're normally reliable and have done some good work for me in the past.

4 months down the line, they're still waiting for a part from Pentax in Japan - not good at all.