Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
L.B.A.

I've got it BAD. How do I overcome it? Support group? Medication? Point and shoot? When is enough, enough?

04-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you have every lens from among those you care about, you'll be cured

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You cannot over come it, until you make the honest self assessment that no lens is going to make you a better photographer... but then you just start collecting sets (a word to the wise: avoid the 135mm's).

Generally enough is enough is marked by letters from the bank.
04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no cure! Only empty bank accounts.

04-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

L.B.A. is a way of fleeing the burdens of life--just deal with those burdens directly in order to make room for the real thing: taking pics, which actually is relaxing. (By contrast, L.B.A. is pure tension.) Which is not to say you can't look for optically better glass; but the idea is to do this search reasonably, without obsession.
04-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No way. Try doing something new, like a new hobby to keep your head out of this "L.B.A" sickness. You'll really have it bad once you aldo get C.B.A. which I think I'm starting to have... Damn those cheap pentax film cameras...
04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
No way. Try doing something new, like a new hobby to keep your head out of this "L.B.A" sickness. You'll really have it bad once you aldo get C.B.A. which I think I'm starting to have... Damn those cheap pentax film cameras...
yep, and we can only unload them on sickies like you. ha ha ha. contact me i may have it..as in the cheap stuff no 85's or _X's in my stable.
04-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Lens Buying Addict

!2 Steps to Freedom

The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous
  1. We admitted we were powerless over lenses - that our camera bags had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Marketplace greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lenses over to the care of the Forum members, through the Marketplace, as we know them by their PayPal addresses.
  4. Made a searching, fearless and thorough inventory of our camera bags.
  5. Admitted to the Marketplace, to ourselves, and to another special person (looking over our shoulders as we type) the exact nature of our finances.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Marketplace remove all these defects of rational judgment about shooting with what we have, not what we dream about.
  7. Humbly asked the Marketplace to remove our excess lenses for a reasonable price.
  8. Made a list of all buyers we had harmed by refusing to sell, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such buyers wherever possible, except when to do so would just injure them with this affliction.
  10. Continued to take inventory of our camera bags, and when we bought something we didn't need promptly sold it.
  11. Sought through taking photographs and posting them in the forum to improve our conscious contact with the members, seeking only a vision of the Golden Spiral and the skill to carry that out.
  12. Having had an artistic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Lens Buying Addicts, and to practice these principles in all our lustful affairs with camera equipmen

04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It might work for you. I t does work for me. Buy the biggest bag you are willing to carry everywhere you go. When it is full, you are done; for a lens you don't have with you is worthless.
04-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter

It's not a disease, it's a lifestyle choice.
Embrace it.
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've been fighting LBA for years. Recently I got cured. I got divorced.
04-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I've been fighting LBA for years. Recently I got cured. I got divorced.
Who got the lenses?
04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Who got the lenses?
I do. She got the drybox ..and the house.
04-22-2012, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
You cannot over come it, until you make the honest self assessment that no lens is going to make you a better photographer... but then you just start collecting sets (a word to the wise: avoid the 135mm's).

Generally enough is enough is marked by letters from the bank.
True that, I got few limited primes and they didn't make me better photographer. Then I invested in flashes to get the light better to make the photos I was after. It resulted in slight improvement. Then I realised that it's the person holding the camera who's at fault and I got few books instead, now I'm in process of reading them and later I will evaluate how much they have helped. So far they are the cheapest investment...
04-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's not a disease, it's a lifestyle choice.
Embrace it.
Exactly. LBA is Lens-Buying ADRENALINE, the rush you get when a new-to-you lens falls into your grubby clutches. It's an empowerment, an accumulation of joys. My lot serve both as wonderful tools and as a lens library. Cultivate your LBA. And get a second job.