Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
UV filters for DA limited lenses

I'm looking for UV filters / lens protectors that will fit the DA limited lenses. I know that they are of questionable usage to some, but I'd feel happier having something covering the front element. I bought (at no small cost) two B+W MRC nano filters but they prevented the built-in hoods from operating. So clearly not just any 49mm filters will do.

Any recommendations? FWIW I have the 15 and 35 and prefer slim filters. Same question for ND / polarizers since I guess that some will have similar compatibility issues.

04-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I'm looking for UV filters / lens protectors that will fit the DA limited lenses. I know that they are of questionable usage to some, but I'd feel happier having something covering the front element. I bought (at no small cost) two B+W MRC nano filters but they prevented the built-in hoods from operating. So clearly not just any 49mm filters will do.

Any recommendations? FWIW I have the 15 and 35 and prefer slim filters. Same question for ND / polarizers since I guess that some will have similar compatibility issues.
I use Hoya HMC UV(C) filters. These work fine with my 15Ltd, 35Ltd, and 77Ltd, all of which have built in hoods. But they are not slim. It won't matter on your 35, but you may see some vignetting on your 15 at wider apertures or shorter exposures. I haven't done any rigorous tests to find out how much of that is added by the filter, specifically, though.
04-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The B&W MRC non-slim version of the filters do just nicely.

As you corretly point out the knurling on the slim version fols with the hood on the DA15 and DA35macro (& I guess the FA77 too).

Pictured below is the DA15 with the B&W C-Pol filter. See that with the hood extended the rim of the filter only just encroaches a tiny tiny bit beyond the corners, less than 0.5mm. Does this cause addtional vignetting, I don't know.. wide open at f4 maybe..... but when I have a polariser on, I'm outdoors in the sun so more likely at f8 - f11.

Remember that the rotating C-Pol has a "deeper" ring compared to normal filters such as UV and ND's. I just tried a ND filter and with the hood fully extended it is fully inside the hood extension by about 1mm meaning it would not contribute to any addtional vignetting.

The filter on the left is a HOYA filter. (NDx400)

One thing I do notice when comparing the consturction of the B&W and the Hoya is that the inner radius of the frame of the filter of the B&W is much thicker (this is where the gold letting is). The Hoya is thinner as you can probably see in the photo, and as with all Hoya filters the text is printed on the outer rim of the filter.

Hope that is helpful.
04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@v5Planet. Just sent off for a pair of Hoya HMC UV(C) filters. Returning the B+W filters for a refund. Bought a Crumpler Cupcake 4000 bag with the difference.

@steve1307. Very useful information. Thank you.

04-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

@v5Planet. Just sent off for a pair of Hoya HMC UV(C) filters. Returning the B+W filters for a refund. Bought a Crumpler Cupcake 4000 bag with the difference.

@steve1307. Very useful information. Thank you.
B+W filters are highly respected, but they also command a high price. There was a widely popularized article some time ago that did some stringent tests of various UV filters from cheapest of the cheap to the most expensive. Curiously, the Hoya UV(0) (which the UV(C) replaced, I believe) ended up showing better transmission than some of the most expensive filters out there at a fraction of the cost.
04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UV filter tests:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
04-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hadn't seen that one, I have read their Polariser test though (the one where one of the B+W C-Pol they tested was found to be a linear polariser. Doh!! )

If you compared the Hoya UV(0) -1st, and the B+W UV MRC -3rd.
The B+W scores poorly with a 5/10 in the UV transmission test <390nm (as in, it's supposed to cut it out). the Hoya gets a 10/10.
I guess the UV filter is important for film but I didnt think it was quite so important for a CMOS Bayer sensor as they already have a UV filter. I am not saying the UV filter does nothing on a digital sensor just that the CMOS is much less sensitive than film.

In every other test the B+W slightly betters or equals the Hoya so in the end it is a 3 point difference.
The B+W is more expensive of course as they note.
The Tiffen really does seem to be a dud though, jeez .

BTW I am not biased to either B&W or Hoya. As long as you pick a decent coated version and one that physically fits from either brand you cant really go wrong.

I have only 2 UV filters a Hoya UV(0) 52mm bought in Aust for the kit lens and a 49mm B+W MRC for Ltd lenses bought from the US so I paid about the same price for both.
I don't really use either of them.
I do like that the B+W is brass and quite solid build. The Hoya is Aluminium.

That reminds me, I have a 3rd UV filter. Its a Hoya 49mm and it's been jammed on a ??? lens on my old film Pentax since the early 90's. Perhaps thats why I like the brass ones for my metal lenses.

My 3 C-pol are all B+W and the few ND's are a mix of Hoya and B&W

04-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i have good experience with the B+W MRC UV filters, hard to see any image degradation, however could see it causing a little extra flare (im sure other brands would do this) in some situations like pointed directly towards the sun

i can highly recommend them... but just to note i prefer UV filters off (only keep them on in certain situations eg: beach / dusty conditions)
04-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Mr_Canuck

Filters make a mess of those slide on metal caps on all but the 21, where the hood can go over the filter nicely. Smartest hood idea I've ever seen.
I don't currently have a filter on the 35. On the 70, I've bought a cheap plastic clip on lens cap and removed the hood altogether.

As for filters, I inherited B+W UV's with a few of my lenses and honestly haven't tested against anything else. I had a Hoya Super CPOL slim and it worked on all of them, including the 15, though tricky to thread on, then I dropped it in an icy creek. I then bought a Hoya HMC Super CPOL and it fits fine on all of them. It's not thin, so it's actually easier to work with.