Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I regularly see one tog who is probably your size in the media pit shooting a 5D2 and grip with a canon 70-200 2.8 - that is a heavy kit much worse than anything you could do with Pentax. If you get the non OS model make sure to set the SR on.
the toughest part is your camera will be unbalanced (most guys shooting that kind of lens regularly are using a Body / Grip combo for more balanced shooting not an option for you. just make sure you support the lens properly (proper stance makes a big difference for these things)

you want to avoid these stances most definitely

Photographers Funniest Poses - Digital Camera Reviews & Photography Tips

and try for these

How to Reduce Camera Shake – 6 Techniques

04-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I shot many concerts, shows, dance recitals etc with a 70-200/2.8 using both my *istD and K10D

the Kr is far above these bodies in High ISO performance so there should be no issue.

As others have commented, consider the venue and image size.

remember Image size = subject size * focal length / distance.

for head and shoulders shots, consider subject to be about 400mm, your frame / image is 16 or 24mm depending on orientation, and focal length either 70 or 200 mm

therefore for head and shoulders shot, you need to be within about 10 feet - 16 feet, which ain't gonna happen

for full body shot, somewhere between 20 and 70 feet. this might happen
04-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I watched a training video from kelby training called concert photography
Concert Photography | KelbyTraining.com

For indoor concert, his main lens are 24-70 and 70-200 paired with two FF camera.
He says if he can only bring one lens that would be 70-200 (on full frame).
He sometimes use fisheye.
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I watched a training video from kelby training called concert photography
Concert Photography | KelbyTraining.com

For indoor concert, his main lens are 24-70 and 70-200 paired with two FF camera.
He says if he can only bring one lens that would be 70-200 (on full frame).
He sometimes use fisheye.
depends on the venue. in many venues i shoot with a 24-70 on one body and my DA14 on the other. at a big venue i change the DA14 to a 200 and the 24-70 is still the primary - but in those cases i have a media pass and am in the pit inches from the stage)

04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As others have aaid, there is extremely little chances they'd let you shoot with a 70-200. Those things are big and call attention to themselves. You could try the 50-135, but really, if I were you, I'd spend 1/20 the cost of either of these on an old manual 135 and practice manual focusing. Your parents did it, your grandparentts did it, so did their parents and grandparents. I'm quite sure you can manage it too.
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #21

Original Poster
Should I get a DA* 200mm f/2.8 instead? It's lighter than the Sigma..
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #22

Original Poster
My parents went through the Chinese Cultural Revolution in their 20s and their parents went through the changing from emperor to communist party so I doubt they used manual focus...

But I shall learn one day

I guess I should try to put some lens in my jacket pocket (at least end of June in Australia is middle of winter)
04-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I do a lot of this stuff, in Australia, both as an official shooter and as a general punter. Unless you have media accreditation (and it doesn't sound like you do) I would be *very* surprised if they let you into a Lady Gaga stadium gig with a DSLR and big zoom lens, let alone a tripod.

I have managed to smuggle in my DA55-300, which is much smaller and lighter, wrapped in a jumper, with a pancake on the camera to make it look less "pro".

If you manage to get the camera and lens in, you won't need a tripod. There is usually plenty of light at these sort of shows, and Pentax's SR will take care of the rest.

Take a high quality point and shoot in case you have to leave the big rig in the cloak room. I have come away from festivals and indoor stadiums with some pretty good shots with a Canon G12.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-25-2012 at 04:05 AM.
04-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As others have aaid, there is extremely little chances they'd let you shoot with a 70-200. Those things are big and call attention to themselves. You could try the 50-135, but really, if I were you, I'd spend 1/20 the cost of either of these on an old manual 135 and practice manual focusing. Your parents did it, your grandparentts did it, so did their parents and grandparents. I'm quite sure you can manage it too.
I was waiting for this to pop up. Although a half stop slower the M135/3.5 is a good candidate because it is simply so small I personally like the K135/2.5 for the extra stop in speed, but it is no where near as compact.
04-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #25

Original Poster
I found a good priced second hand DA* f/2.8 200mm but I'm not sure how often I would use it other than at concerts (that is, if I can smuggle it in)
04-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you know the approximate distances, I would do a test run to determine the focal lengths you need. I can regularly crop to half size on my k-x when using a good lens (Tamron 70-200), so you could consider using cropping as you "zoom". So having two primes, one maybe 70mm, one 200mm will get you everything you need, and I'm sure neither will draw attention to you.
04-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma 70-200 is a great lens, I have it and it certainly can be hand held in well lit concert venues. But as others have said I seriously doubt that they'd allow it at a Gaga concert. It is NOT a discrete looking lens. I can almost guarantee that you won't be able to get a tripod in but if you can disguise a monopod as a walking aid you might be able to get that in. I've been able to sneak my trek-pod in lots of places where they don't even allow monopods, Just develop a bit of a limp and lean heavily on it.

NaCl(get the sigma 70-200 it's a great lens that you can use elsewhere)H2O
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #28

Original Poster
Walking aid... I'm still in my 20s and I'm petite. Lol I think I've given up the tripod/monopod idea now. I still can't decide on whether I'll get a prime or zoom, but I guess I have given up on smuggling the zoom in the concert as well.
04-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I do a lot of this stuff, in Australia, both as an official shooter and as a general punter. Unless you have media accreditation (and it doesn't sound like you do) I would be *very* surprised if they let you into a Lady Gaga stadium gig with a DSLR and big zoom lens, let alone a tripod.

I have managed to smuggle in my DA55-300, which is much smaller and lighter, wrapped in a jumper, with a pancake on the camera to make it look less "pro".

If you manage to get the camera and lens in, you won't need a tripod. There is usually plenty of light at these sort of shows, and Pentax's SR will take care of the rest.

Take a high quality point and shoot in case you have to leave the big rig in the cloak room. I have come away from festivals and indoor stadiums with some pretty good shots with a Canon G12.
Hi Sandy Hancock, did you think DA55-300 was fast enough for indoor concerts? I was worried it might turn out to be too blurry (high ISOs on my k-r)
04-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Hi Sandy Hancock, did you think DA55-300 was fast enough for indoor concerts? I was worried it might turn out to be too blurry (high ISOs on my k-r)
Most indoor small shows might be a problem. Shows the size of a Gaga size will be no issue. They generally have more light even in a low key sequence than 90% of small venue (ie club) shows
Kr is also more than capable of shooting up to 1600 ISO with excellent results
the 55-300 will also give you some useful extra reach to try and isolate a performer from a distance
a DA* 300 would be better of course but then you aren't likely to get it through the door

for that matter a Q with a k mount adapter and an old 50 1.4 would also work well. If you aren't printing posters, and using primarily on the web the Q would work out pretty well, and a 50 1.4 m series is pretty compact (the K adapter is almost as big as the lens). certainly easier to slip in with one of those