Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Sigma lens for indoor concert?

I am going to a Lady Gaga concert in June and would really love some nice photos since I got a front row seat. I'm thinking of getting a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro to be used with a tripod hopefully. I have a k-r.

What do you think? The non OS version is discontinued and the price is really good.

04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Junototoro,
If you have a front row seat, the 70-200mm may be too much lens. Depending on the stage layout, you may want to back down to a 28-80mm 2.8. That being said, the reviews on the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 are very good.
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's a really large stadium sitting 21000 people. My seat is in the front seating row but not the closest to the stage (and there's standing area down from the front row). I really hope they allow me to use the tripod and a big lens. I've taken my camera before with the kit lens to other concerts there and they allowed it.
04-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
I am going to a Lady Gaga concert in June and would really love some nice photos since I got a front row seat. I'm thinking of getting a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro to be used with a tripod hopefully. I have a k-r.

What do you think? The non OS version is discontinued and the price is really good.

Not sure, maybe in Aussie it is different (can't see how though) - I am guessing that you have media/press credentials? I ask this as AFAIK (I shoot quite a few shows and have shot a big venues in the past) here in the states unless you are shooting for RSM (Rolling Stone Magazine) or a small handful of the big (well, really big) networks you can't get an SLR camera in the/that venue. Also as for your tripod, that will definitely be a no-no as that is a HUGE safety factor.

Again, maybe it is different in Aussie land, so I could be wrong...

04-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've heard you can't get any camera in the Japanese venues at all. Australia seems to be more relaxed. Sydney Opera House doesn't allow any cameras but other venues do.

SLR with a small lens was no problem with me at Sydney Olympic Park venues (and I don't have any media/press credentials).

Not sure about a telezoom lens and a tripod...
04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
However you can still take your cameras into the Sydney Opera House but I don't think shooting with an SLR is possible (Chinese shows there allowed any cameras, but none of the serious performances allowed it)
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lady Gaga’s policy on taking photos at her concerts is “All your photo are belong to us”. Apparently she owns the copyright of photos you take of her, or so the ticket conditions say.
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Haha I don't mind if the copyright is hers. It'd be my first time using a telephoto to take photos so I wouldn't be good anyway.. I want to be able to practice there though

04-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Forum Member

Perhaps you want to check first if you can use a dSLR at the concert ? What if they won't let you in with the SLR ? Can't really see you ditching the camera !!
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
I checked with them and they said no. But last month I shot Taylor Swift with my k-r and 18-55 at the same venue. Oh well, I'll try to take in a small lens again this time...

By the way, my k-r is pink in color so it probably doesn't look "professional" to the guard.. Haha
04-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You should be able to get a 55-300 in a jacket pocket no problem at all. So enter with a small prime and switch later (so long at they don't have 'minders' minding larger cameras that have been errrr smuggled in shall we say.
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked with them and they said no. But last month I shot Taylor Swift with my k-r and 18-55 at the same venue. Oh well, I'll try to take in a small lens again this time...

By the way, my k-r is pink in color so it probably doesn't look "professional" to the guard.. Haha

not much chance they will ignore a 70-200 2.8 it's a big lens.

As mention GAGA deems she owns the rights to all pictures (and I refused to sign the waiver because of this and we didn't review the show)
Typically there are restrictions at most venues on camera size and type. Artists also add restrictions (Gaga isn't the only one I was asked to sign one for Iggy Pop as well last time, though previously it was never an issue - i think it was more the venue scenario for that one)

Even if they let you in with the big lens there is not a chance in hell they will allow a tripod, I've shot from the media pit many times and I've never seen a tripod allowed for Still shooters. At some events I have seen them for Network Video shooters but not usually.

If you can get the big lens in there will be more than enough light to shoot the 70-200 hand held in any case. If it is the one with Optical Image stabilization use the optical and turn off the Pentax SR, more because it will make the VF image clearer on zoomed in shots. A gaga show should have enough light to shoot iso 400-800 at 1/250 f 4-5.6 i would think based on other big shows. you may need to drop back to 1/125 on some shots
04-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
But would I be able to hand hold and shoot? I'm guessing tripod or monopod is out of question for sure
04-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

But would I be able to hand hold and shoot? I'm guessing tripod or monopod is out of question for sure
should be no problem to handhold and shoot a 70-200 (particularly between SR or OS and the amount of light allowing higher shutter speeds). It's all down to how good your technique is.
the rule of thumb with no SR or OS system on an apsc camera is a shutter speed of 1/1.5xFL, so if you are shooting at 200mm you need 1/300 or faster to stop motion blur. SR or OS should easily allow for 1/125 second
04-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie. I was thinking of getting the non OS version. The lens weighs 1.4kg and I weigh 50kg so I'm not sure if I could hand hold.. But I do sit in the front row so I got something to lean on hmm ..