Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can afford it, you'd be nuts not to get it!

04-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
first, very fine photos are made everyday with great lenses, ordinary lenses, and even bad lenses. Next, don't compare the cost of the FA31 to the value of your camera; photography is more about the glass than the body. Cameras will come and go but you keep the best lenses for the long run.
What's more, having food and shelter is a little overrated...let those bills lapse a bit and free up some fundage.
finally, the FA31 is frickin' awesome...you must own it!

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-24-2012 at 12:05 AM.
04-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
$900 if a great price if brand new. Is there an opportunity to test the lens before handing over the money? There have been a few cases of bad FA31 copies. If you get a warranty by buying from a local store then it's less of an issue, but for a private sale it's more important.
I think there will be, I arrange to meet with him somewhere as is isn't too far from where I live. This is a must for me otherwise I would be reluctant otherwise due to the sum of money involved.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
There is all this talk about how the lens will hold its value, even appreciate over time, etc. This talk should be tempered with a consideration of what will happen should Pentax go bust, or discontinue the K mount. Lenses should be treated as an indulgence. If you can sell for near what you got it for thats good. Investments, they are not.
I see where you are coming from here, and financially it may be a risky thing to do but I would also consider it as an investment in non-monetary ways as well. With it you make photographs which have value which isn't always a financial dividend but carries sentimental value. Then also as you say there is the if the k-mount dies, well i could just get an adapter for other mounts.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Go for it mate.

I have a K-7 and a FA31mm f1.8 Ltd. They are made for each other.

The IQ of the FA31mm is outstanding and your percentage of 'keepers' will jump up with the FA31mm, even in low light.

No hesitation, go for it!
With this I don't expect it to just make my photos better, how I would love that . But what it will (Hopefully) do is open up some creative opportunities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you can afford it, you'd be nuts not to get it!
Given my current state, I could well be clinically insane haha but thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
first, very fine photos are made everyday with great lenses, ordinary lenses, and even bad lenses. Next, don't compare the cost of the FA31 to the value of your camera; photography is more about the glass than the body. Cameras will come and go but you keep the best lenses for the long run.
What's more, having food and shelter is a little overrated...let those bills lapse a bit and free up some findage.
finally, the FA31 is frickin' awesome...you must own it!
I totally agree here, I mean a good photographer can make the most of what he has, and this is one of my concerns. Is it too much lens for me? The voices are saying it'll make my photos better, then logic say no it will only give creative options previously unavailable to me.

I've emailed the guy none-the-less and I guess we will see where we end up. He may have sold it already, who knows.
04-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #34
Forum Member

If the funds are available I say go for it. The 31 is a fantastic lens and my favorite so far. If you don't love it should be easy to flip.

04-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

OK, I think someone needs to provide an opposing view, since the question in the topic is "how does one refrain?"

It's just a lens - there are more important and beneficial ways to spend money. Depends on your financial situation.

The FA31 is in a price bubble - it could burst anytime if pentax bring out, say, a D-FA 31 with the same optics but better coatings.

Your relationship! I'm sure I'd have something negative to say if my wife bought a $900 pair of shoes.

It's not really the lens - it's the photographer.

And, this is not the only chance you'll have to buy this lens.

There, did that help?

(Please note, I don't own an FA31 - I am good at refraining, so far.)
04-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter

i think what timh is trying to say is...

BUY IT!
04-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well with apologies if this hijacks the thread, but you are prompting me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.
Are there any other Pentax lenses that have optics of similar quality to the limited, or that even come reasonably close without breaking the budget?
Currently I have a hard time deciding between the FA 31 and the K28 F2 when I'm packing my back. The K is definitely in the same league as the Limiteds!
No AF of course, but you asked for IQ. On the other hand the thing is quite rare and while I paid quite a bit less for it then for the 31, you might not get so lucky in a hurry.

Another rare one you might get lucky to get it for a good price is the A/K 50mm F1.2, but the images I get from my A 50 are definitely limited.

The DFA 100mm Macro is really close to the DA Limiteds, but not really cheaper...
04-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
Forum Member

Just do it ....

... it's what I told myself while hesitating over my ever-diminishing bank balance, and I haven't regretted it.

I never knew what a lens could be capable of - I'm now totally spoiled for wonderful microdetail, lovely colour-rendering . When I took my first pic with this lens, I thought the colour of the subject-matter looked "blah", but the lens came up with a far better outcome.

Ergonomically, it seems to balance my K5 so nicely, and somehow helps me control my chronic camera-shake (YMMV of course)

And yes, some dismaying purple fringing in some circustances, but that's what Photoshop is for, after all:ugh: - and it's all about learning when best and not to use a particular lens, even one as magical as this one has its limits.

And
you can always sell it for a reasonable price if it really doesn't suit you.

04-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

You may as well have that $900 invested in a lens you can use and enjoy rather than sitting in the bank. You might even get a return on your investment. And if you need to sell at a loss to get a quick sale (unlikely at that price), losing $50 or so isn't much to weep over when you've had the opportunity to play with such a nice lens - compare that to the price of renting it!

I did something similar with the FA43mm recently. The only thing that could kill the burning desire was to own it. In the end I couldn't justify keeping it, so I sold it - and got back exactly what I paid for it.
04-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #40
Pentaxian

My first Limited lens was a 31, too...

...and now, four years later, I have all three!

I must be lucky, because when I say to my wife that I'm thinking about another lens, she just smiles. Mind you, she's not averse to buying some pricey shoes, either. After all, a good partnership is one where each trusts the other to make good judgments about how they spend their own money, among other things.

Do they help you make good pictures? Maybe, but your eyes and imagination are more important for that. Do they help you take good photos? Too right they do!

Others have mentioned some CA issues, and that's true in my experience, particularly with the 31, but the fixes are easy (especially with built-in lens profiles in Photoshop and the like) and the other qualities of the Limiteds make the few flaws easily forgivable to most.
04-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You will regret it - if you do not get it!
I absolutely love mine.
Hmmm, where can I find a good deal on 77limited........stop it!
04-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Both images from the SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited

Resistance is futile!

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-24-2012 at 03:08 AM.
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Resistance is futile!
[/LEFT]
As it turns out resistance was futile.
The lens was in mint condition excluding the box which it didn't have. For a little over $900 I'm a very happy camper.
I guess in hindsight those of you that were trying to guide me in to a rational choice never had a chance, it was game over from the moment I saw the ad.
Though I think I will use some of these perspectives when considering future purchases.
04-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

You could sell off some of the lenses you have to offset the cost. Seems you have a few that overlap. Quality lenses do make a difference.
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
You will regret it - if you do not get it!
I absolutely love mine.
Hmmm, where can I find a good deal on 77limited........stop it!
I am going to be a bit :evil: here. This guy was actually selling a 77mm for around $700 I think, PM me if you like and I can pass on the details.