Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does one refrain?

Ok so here is the situation. My rational mind has been fighting a losing battle over this:

FA 31 LTD 1.8 (silver) for sale, $900 in unused condition. That's ALOT less than the $1399 that retailers seem to have it for in AUS.
I really really want it, Its a good price IMO. But key word is "want".
How can I justify it? as its worth more than the k-7 I own, or any lens I own for that matter.
And add to that I have a k 28mm f3.5, and (multiple) zooms to cover that FL. I like the 28mm FL as its quite versatile for the way I shoot, but I usually have a bit of a motto, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I realise I am no pro/advanced amateur so is it really something that would help me produce better images? or should I be buying with the future in mind? as I know these lenses will most likely stay at this price or go up.

My lens shopping list seems endless these days, between the FA LTD's and some wide angle Primes, fast fifties, something to fill the 200-400mm gap. so am I buying just for the sake of buying?

Then there is convincing my partner. I haven't even talked about this particular lens as a possibility with her as it was just fantasy and I never really thought I would get the chance to own it.That leaves me in the situation where there is no ground work or preparing her for such a purchase.

I know its probably a common thing amongst you LBA sufferers but, my oh my this is almost stressing me out! So any guidance would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 04-23-2012 at 06:23 PM.
04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Of course you can justify it, it's a "legendary" lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Once you get one FA Limited, it's inevitable to own all three.
So if you are going to convince anyone about your purchase, it's better to work all three into the proposal. That way, you don't have to do it all again when you are getting the last one.
04-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it is a legendary lens but with that comes the feeling of "i'm not worthy" lol

And the first came before the partner, so I had no explaining to do. Now I need to be accountable

04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Possible justifications:

* It's not just a lens, it's a masterpiece of art and craft.
* It's a safe investment for an uncertain future.
* It's necessary for your mental health and cheaper than therapy.
* You've analyzed it carefully and it is inevitable.
* It's exactly what you need to go professional.
* The voices in your head insist upon it. Always obey your voices.
* Because once you make a decision, you can't back down.
* It's a fair balance for her most recent purchases.
* Because without it, you'll whimper like a puppy endlessly.
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm i guess I am going to have to get her to hold my wallet untill I can say I have thought this through and made a list of pro's and con's before the bank takes a hit. And yes I am whimpering like a puppy. >_<
04-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Once you get one FA Limited, it's inevitable to own all three.
So if you are going to convince anyone about your purchase, it's better to work all three into the proposal. That way, you don't have to do it all again when you are getting the last one.
That's the strongest argument I've heard for my not buying or even wanting a first limited lens. I guess I'll still to hunting down old Super Takumars and the odd Pentax-A lens and keep working on my focusing skills.

04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

Once into photography, poor for three generations...o.O
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thats a good price, for a silver MIJ, get it. No need to refrain.
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
That's the strongest argument I've heard for my not buying or even wanting a first limited lens. I guess I'll still to hunting down old Super Takumars and the odd Pentax-A lens and keep working on my focusing skills.
I held off for years. When I got my FA77 Ltd, I was floored at how awesome it was on my K5. The 43 and 31 are as good. I have the AIV ones and they are excellent.

Having the FA LTDs have changed what I put on my camera when I am out and about.

I can't say enough good things about them.

Hold off as long as you can.

04-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
MSL
Pentaxian

I held off for years. When I got my FA77 Ltd, I was floored at how awesome it was on my K5. The 43 and 31 are as good. I have the AIV ones and they are excellent.

Having the FA LTDs have changed what I put on my camera when I am out and about.

I can't say enough good things about them.

Hold off as long as you can.

Well with apologies if this hijacks the thread, but you are prompting me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.
Are there any other Pentax lenses that have optics of similar quality to the limited, or that even come reasonably close without breaking the budget?
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Once you get one FA Limited, it's inevitable to own all three
Not really, I've heard too many complaints of purple fringing from the other two to risk buying them. I bought the FA31 a year ago, and so far the reports of PF from the other two have stopped me from lusting after them.
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #13

DO IT! Get it. There's no need to justify it. LBA is an addiction, my friend. As such, it's a disease. Unlike other addiction diseases, this one does not yet (to my knowledge) have anonymous meetings; therefore, you are unable to help yourself and must purchase this lens.
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well with apologies if this hijacks the thread, but you are prompting me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.
Are there any other Pentax lenses that have optics of similar quality to the limited, or that even come reasonably close without breaking the budget?
If there are, I am not aware of them. The FA LTDs give you everything you could want;

Designed for FF
A mechanical aperture ring
"A" setting
Screw/Mechanical Autofocus
Excellent build quality that will never come again in the price range.
The colors and IQ are stellar.

I also like the pedigree of the lens designer and the story behind the three lenses.
One day the FA LTDs will go away and I have no doubt I will still have mine. The FA LTDs are heirloom quality lenses that will be passed down to my niece when she gets old enough.

There may be other Pentax lenses out there that have better *individual* features, but the FA LTDs have it all.
04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Not really, I've heard too many complaints of purple fringing from the other two to risk buying them. I bought the FA31 a year ago, and so far the reports of PF from the other two have stopped me from lusting after them.
I'm not of the measurebation persuasion. While there might be some PF, I don't notice it. The sum of the total outweighs slights in various reviews.

The Tamron 70-200 2.8 also falls into that category. I'm glad I own that lens too.