Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bank exercises my restraint for me - good thing I suppose, it seems I have a photoaddictive personality. Not a disorder, surely not.. merely eccentric

04-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'm not of the measurebation persuasion
Its not something that bothered me either, till I started making large prints.
04-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just an FYI.

Light is not homogeneous. It's comprised of colors at different wavelengths. A camera lens works by refracting light as it passes through it. When light travels through glass it slows down a bit. Light passes through glass (or other mediums) slightly differently. Everyone has seen rainbows and prisms. When you get PF - Purple Fringing - or CA - chromatic aberration - it's because a lens is not handling all wavelengths the same way. Purple/violet is the shortest wavelength and in the case of PF, you see it because there is a contrast that highlights that wavelength.

Purple fringing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A general defocus of the shortest wavelengths resulting in a purple fringe on all sides of a bright object is the result of an axial or longitudinal chromatic aberration. Quite often these effects are mixed in an image. Axial chromatic aberration is more subject to reduction by stopping down the lens than lateral chromatic aberration is, so the purple fringing can be very dependent on f-number: a larger f-number (smaller aperture) reduces axial aberration"

So there is no such thing as a lens that has zero PF. It can be controlled, but few quality lenses are egregious in their PF.
04-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well with apologies if this hijacks the thread, but you are prompting me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.
Are there any other Pentax lenses that have optics of similar quality to the limited, or that even come reasonably close without breaking the budget?
I would say that the DA 40 comes pretty close to the FA 43, although the latter has its distinct advantages. I have a DA70 and am darn happy with that, too, although I will allow that the FA 77 might be better as I haven't tried it. And certainly the old manual lenses like the K 28/3.5, the K 35/3.5, the M 50/1.7 have outstanding optics and construction as well, provided you can work with their limitations.

To the OP, I would say grab it. If after using it for a while, you don't find it worth it, you can certainly sell it without losing much. If you do find it worth the price, you can sell other lenses to make up! That is what I did, and even though I ended up selling mine I would still recommend the course of action.

04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Just promise yourself you will sell something else to make up for some of the money, and don't tell your spouse that you never mailed it or never put it up for sale in the first place
04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The FA35/2 comes very close to the FA31/1.8. It does have fewer aperture blades and doesnt have the metal build of the FA31, but its very well built for a Polycarbonate lens.
04-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm not the right person to ask how you can refrain from buying nice lenses. FWIW though, of the lenses below, the FA31 is the best of them all. For $900 it's a steal, and even if you need to sell it in a couple of years time I don't think you will lose anything as the price is heading in only one direction.

04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Taking group portraits of your lenses is a sign of very advanced LBA!
04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Light is not homogeneous. It's comprised of colors at different wavelengths.
What! No one told me this. Do you think if I buy a good blender it will help?
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
To the OP, I would say grab it. If after using it for a while, you don't find it worth it, you can certainly sell it without losing much. If you do find it worth the price, you can sell other lenses to make up! That is what I did, and even though I ended up selling mine I would still recommend the course of action.
Trying to pick the logical from the passionate is tough, I think this is a very reasonable approach something that I overlooked in the haste of thinking through it. And that is definitely something the FA ltds have going for them (that they hold their value.) I have discussed briefly with my partner and there has yet to be a straight no, I am still hopeful at this point. And this might just be the reasoning I need. Thank you.

By all means this debate for me is not over for me so if there is further rational and logical approaches, they would all be appreciated to no end.
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your K7 is already obsolete, the 31 Ltd will still be a master piece in 30 years time. I don't think this lens overlaps anything you have as photographing with primes is fundamentally different to using zooms. I almost never use any of my wide angle zooms. the only exception is if there is any chance I could destroy my Ltds.

Tell the partner buying a Ltd is cheaper than many of life's alternatives eg splitting.

So don't tell me where you are getting it as I don't have that limited and I live in Melbourne. Just joking - I can't live without my 21 and 35mm macro ltds. 31ltd wouldn't get a look in.
04-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One day the FA LTDs will go away and I have no doubt I will still have mine. The FA LTDs are heirloom quality lenses that will be passed down to my niece when she gets old enough.
You are fortunate you have someone who will appreciate them.

QuoteQuote:
Your K7 is already obsolete, the 31 Ltd will still be a master piece in 30 years time
Cameras come and go, great glass is forever.

I had a similar situation recently, an opportunity came up that I was not expecting. I discussed it frankly with my wife and begged her to talk me out of buying. Unfortunately she failed.

We all spend money on things that have no lasting value, dinner out perhaps? But at that price I doubt you could lose money on the lens. Even if you have to sell it later you will get at least your money back.
04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

$900 if a great price if brand new. Is there an opportunity to test the lens before handing over the money? There have been a few cases of bad FA31 copies. If you get a warranty by buying from a local store then it's less of an issue, but for a private sale it's more important.
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

There is all this talk about how the lens will hold its value, even appreciate over time, etc. This talk should be tempered with a consideration of what will happen should Pentax go bust, or discontinue the K mount. Lenses should be treated as an indulgence. If you can sell for near what you got it for thats good. Investments, they are not.
04-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
FA 31 LTD 1.8 (silver) for sale, $900 in unused condition. That's ALOT less than the $1399 that retailers seem to have it for in AUS.
I really really want it, Its a good price IMO. But key word is "want".
How can I justify it? as its worth more than the k-7 I own, or any lens I own for that matter.
Go for it mate.

I have a K-7 and a FA31mm f1.8 Ltd. They are made for each other.

The IQ of the FA31mm is outstanding and your percentage of 'keepers' will jump up with the FA31mm, even in low light.

No hesitation, go for it!