Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You're new to the used lens market, at least for Pentax, you often don't get a huge discount over new. Especially for a mint item
Yep - the lens is roughly worth $1,200 right now on the used market for his copy - there are 2 used ones (and 1 refurb'd) on amazon, the 2 used ones are $1,135 and $1,150, the refurb'd one is $1,320 (which is high). But again, $1,200 is the market for that one right now...

04-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sell and buy a Pentax 50-135mm f2.8......shorter, slimmer, HALF THE WEIGHT has the bright 2.8 aperture, WEATHER SEALED, and much handier to use than one of those great hulking 70-200 gizmos designed for full frame cameras.

on the Pentax cropped sensor the 50-135mm angle of view is the same as the 70-200 on a full frame camera....!

50-135, a much more usable lens!
04-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
50-135, a much more usable lens!
Well, good choice, great lens, but not a "much more usable lens" - I shoot with both and sports shooting definitely goes to the Sigma as HSM is many times over faster and more accurate than SDM and the range is also better for sports shooting. Really the only edge the 50~135 has over the siggy (and I am referring to the OS version) is the weather sealing and portability...
04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #19

Not new to the second hand market, but if there's only a small difference between brand new and second hand I don't see any real advantage to buying second hand.

04-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, good choice, great lens, but not a "much more usable lens" - I shoot with both and sports shooting definitely goes to the Sigma as HSM is many times over faster and more accurate than SDM and the range is also better for sports shooting. Really the only edge the 50~135 has over the siggy (and I am referring to the OS version) is the weather sealing and portability...
My point is really the "handiness" and "usability" of a lens. I have no intent to denigrate the 70-200, but it is big and heavy for a small crop sensor DSLR.

For sport, perhaps some wildlife (from a hide?), and use on a tripod, maybe for landscape with perspective effects and depth compression, yes, the 70-200 is a brilliant choice, BUT its a lens for specific purposes, a tool.....

The original poster has it sat on his sideboard doing nothing......my point is that the 50-135 is a more portable, 'handy' general purpose medium tele zoom, that CAN be a 'walk around' or 'stick in the car' lens that would most likely be used more and give more feedback and satisfaction to the poster.

Horses for courses.....
04-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't say sell or keep, yet. What I will say, is go out and force yourself to use it and learn what it can do in all situations. Dedicate 1-2 months with it. If you still decide that this focal length is not for you, then sell it, but don't give up because you have not made the time to use it. Take advantage of the fact you have it now, and learn all you can. If you are going to sell it for a loss any way, at least learn something in the process
04-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Think I am going to put her up For Sale

I have listened to all the suggestions that people have made, and with how life is going lately, I have just not had the time, or desire to take any pictures, and since the lens is still in "new" condition, think it would be best to sale it now.

Will try to get some pictures of it and all with it. (Basically all that is with a new lens when you buy it, still have the box from B&H) and see if I have any that might like to give it a new home. Figure it is better to loose a few dollars and get it in the hands of someone that might get some use out of it, rather then just sitting as it has done for the last few months.

Jeff

04-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

An interesting point based on Lowell's suggestion is the value of the lens in two months vs. today won't be significantly different. In fact the next two months with the lens might be free. Unless it's accidently dropped, of course.
04-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
For my feelings you are desciding a little early. If you need the cash to buy some other toy for your photographic use then sell it. Otherwise I would see it for some months before making a descision for selling this wonderfull lens.
04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
But my biggest thought, and what I have seen with it just sitting in the case is the lens is not going to get any use. I figure while it is in new condition, see if someone might want it, and will take some pics of it (even though that is really not needed since it is in new condition) and see if someone might give it a new home, where it can get some use.

I have just lost interest in many things as I get older, and taking pictures seems to be one of them. Just like I have a Pentax 1.7x that I found new old stock that was on a shelf, and bought it back 4 or so years ago and it has been doing nothing but sitting in my Pelican case sealed up and never used, so might think about putting it up on the market also, maybe along with my K10D of which I don't see will be getting much use.

Don't think it is a phase, just something that happens in life and one has to do what they have to do to survive, and be happy, or try to be.

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
An interesting point based on Lowell's suggestion is the value of the lens in two months vs. today won't be significantly different. In fact the next two months with the lens might be free. Unless it's accidently dropped, of course.
04-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Even though I have been the one noting the used pricing on this lens, I am with @RonHendriks1966 on this - this is a spectacular lens and if you feel you may have a use for it in the future, I would hang on to it...

EDIT: Just saw your reply, looks as though you are just getting out of the hobby completely, if that is the case, then sell it
04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ron, thanks for the words of encouragment, you were really the reason I bought the lens to begin with, and I did have good reasons at that time, but they fell through and really could use the money for other things, (other then photo gear) anymore. I have tons of it, and just sits, not geting used, and feel it is time to thin some things out in life, and clean things up that are not getting used.
Jeff

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For my feelings you are desciding a little early. If you need the cash to buy some other toy for your photographic use then sell it. Otherwise I would see it for some months before making a descision for selling this wonderfull lens.
04-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Joe, not getting out, but it seems lately I have been taking things close up, and that focal length does not help, and I do have some other lens and cameras to cover the needs. Think if I make a good enough deal, someone should be interested in it. It IS a super lens, fast, I can say that.
Jeff

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Even though I have been the one noting the used pricing on this lens, I am with @RonHendriks1966 on this - this is a spectacular lens and if you feel you may have a use for it in the future, I would hang on to it...

EDIT: Just saw your reply, looks as though you are just getting out of the hobby completely, if that is the case, then sell it
04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfischer Quote
Ron, thanks for the words of encouragment, you were really the reason I bought the lens to begin with, and I did have good reasons at that time, but they fell through and really could use the money for other things, (other then photo gear) anymore. I have tons of it, and just sits, not geting used, and feel it is time to thin some things out in life, and clean things up that are not getting used.
Jeff
In that case just sell the stuff you don't use. Think of the camera and two lenses to use most often to keep fun in your hobby. You can always buy some lenses later on when the hobby starts to be fun again. You don't need that old K10D and the 1.7xTC so sell them.
04-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

My DA55-300 (OK, it's another league) did spend its first two years in the cupboard. I never considered selling it and at occasion it comes in handy.