Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What would you do in my shoes

I bought a new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM lens back around January. This is the nice one with built in Image Stabilization.

I think it has been on the camera a total of 2 times. I bought a nice 77mm Hoya Filter to protect the front glass as I do all my lens and put it on the lens as soon as I got it.

I had hopes to do some action photography and taking R/C Cars and trucks this Summer, but all of this has fallen through, and now I have a lens sitting brand new, in its carry case sitting on my couch.

Is a Wonderful lens from the few pictures I did take with it, but just don't feel I am goling to get muich, if any use out of it, and I have been busy with many other projects and just don't see thing slowing down any.

What would you do with the lens, think about selling it, not sure what the market right now is for it, and would be willing to loose a couple of hundred just to get it in someones hands that might get some use out of it.

Looking to hear from you, Jeff

04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jeff

You asked what would you do so if it were me - here's my story. That is a fine lens and a great focal range first off. Quality glass. If I coveted or even wanted something else (be it photographic equipment or otherwise) , I would take a small loss and sell it so I could purchase what I wanted. If I wanted some extra cash for 'something' I would sell it. If on the other hand , I did not need the money and there was nothing else I really wanted I would keep that lens. I am sure I would find uses for it. I think that lens would sell quickly , however markets are fickle things - somethings sell as soon as a listing is posted others take days, weeks , months , others never sell.

And to what category I fit into right now if it were me - I'd keep the lens.

Good luck.
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can sell it here on the marketplace. You will be required to make a small donation to the site for seller access. You could always buy it again later if you change your mind or buy the Tamron since it's less of a financial commitment. This is a lens I'm going to buy when my daughter is a little older and playing sports or doing gymnastics. I planned to buy one this summer, but I'm going to hold off on major k-mount purchases for awhile.
04-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like you want to sell it..if you are willing to ship international you may be able to recover close to what you paid since the dollar is in the toilet...otherwise i am sure someone will buy it from you in the us...it is a great lens...good luck!!

04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

a really good lens that doesn't get used is just an expensive paper weight. Put your money into the lenses you need most. Everything else falls into place.
good luck!
04-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In Jan this lens sold for 1,399, right now there is a $100 rebate which puts it at $1,299 and that was the trigger that put me into buy mode, so I purchased it. It has taken me a bit to learn this lens, I am now at the point where I can say WOW, this is a killer lens. If your copy is barely used I would list it for 1,150-1,200 - at one time amazon had a used one from their warehouse for $1,195. This lens, IMHO is one of the best lenses in the 200mm range available for pentax...
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how is "Pawning?" My knowlege of it is just watch the show "PawnStars" on TLC(maybe?) You tell them you want to pawn the lens, they give you some money, and a receipe, in certain you take the money back to get your lens back, maybe then you can sell in here Marketplace for higher price near the holidays...? thatz how it works? maybe someone here know more about it......

04-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if the RC models was a paying job that fell thru this summer, there's always a chance it will come around again, not sure what the full story is but i would keep it if you don't need the finances
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If I am convinced that I wouldn't use it, then I'd sell it or trade it in for some other lens that I know I would use plus a little cash.
04-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
how is "Pawning?"
25~30% of the current market value "for a used" copy. So, if they are averaging 1,200 on the used market, they will be looking to pay $350'ish for it. (I have a buddy that works at one of the largest pawn shops in the DC metro area, told me to never sell anything to a pawn shop )
04-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #11

The best lens is the one that travels with you on your camera all the time.

I used to have Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 G sitting in my bag and barely getting used. I sold it after 6 months. It was hard to take it to the shop as it was a brilliant zoom lens but heavy. Looking back now, it was the right decision.
04-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep It!

Hi Jeff,
The 80-200mm f/2.8 is one of the essential lenses in anyone's arsenal. Sports, outdoor events like airshows, R/C cars and airplanes, concerts and many other uses. But they're big, usually heavy and bulky, so it's not a "Walk-around" lens for everyday shooting like a prime or short zoom.
Not using it for 4 months, especially the winter months, hardly seems like a good reason to sell it. Given the expected lifespan of a good lens, that's barely a tick of the clock.
You may be busy now but unless you have a dire need of the money, you undoubtly will need this focal range and speed many times in the future.
Good glass is an investment. Specialty lenses aren't always used a lot, but that's why they're special.
Keep it!
JMO
Ron
04-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i haven't used my tamron 70-200 for about two months now - and even if i didn't use it for another few more months i would still not sell it

im very happy with the IQ and don't really need the $$$ right now

it comes down to:
- do you 'lust' after another lens that you think you 'need' now? if so, sell this and go for it
- are you really happy with the IQ and don't have a need for any other lenses (or cash) right now? keep it as you never know when you will have the golden opportunity to put it to good use
- if you need the cash and it can go to better use, might as well sell it (purchase it used later on down the track if you really want it again)
04-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #14

I work for an auctioneer in the UK, and have often seen people over valuing second hand items. So if you are looking to sell the lens, then be realistic about the price you can expect for it.

If you bought a lens new in the UK for say £1,000, then £167 of that would be tax and the lens cost is actually £833.
Then consider the fact that the lens is now second hand and used, and that if the buyer had a problem he couldn't take it back to the shop he bought it from. Also, if there is any warranty left on the lens, that will now be shorter as well.

So, back to whether or not you should sell it, I think that if you are not using it and don't think that you will get value out of it in the future, then cash it in and use the money for something you will use - but be prepared to take the hit on the price.
If I were buying it, the maximum I'd be prepared to pay based on your description would be 70% of the currently cheapest price I could buy a new one.
But if the money isn't an issue, then hang on to it - it's a decent lens.
:-)
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
I work for an auctioneer in the UK, and have often seen people over valuing second hand items. So if you are looking to sell the lens, then be realistic about the price you can expect for it.

If you bought a lens new in the UK for say £1,000, then £167 of that would be tax and the lens cost is actually £833.
Then consider the fact that the lens is now second hand and used, and that if the buyer had a problem he couldn't take it back to the shop he bought it from. Also, if there is any warranty left on the lens, that will now be shorter as well.

So, back to whether or not you should sell it, I think that if you are not using it and don't think that you will get value out of it in the future, then cash it in and use the money for something you will use - but be prepared to take the hit on the price.
If I were buying it, the maximum I'd be prepared to pay based on your description would be 70% of the currently cheapest price I could buy a new one.
But if the money isn't an issue, then hang on to it - it's a decent lens.
:-)
You're new to the used lens market, at least for Pentax, you often don't get a huge discount over new. Especially for a mint item