Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep hold of your money until you know what's happening with the new bodies, if you need lenses in the meantime grab some old manual ones to play with - the faster the better. Manual focus isn't too hard even using the standard focusing screen, once you get the hang of it.

As well as fast primes you're missing an ultra-wide (10-12mm).. If Pentax do announce a full-frame camera those will be a bit useless on it though, so you may want to hold off. (Even if you never want to go FF, used prices for lenses like the Sigma 10-20 may drop a little as a bunch of them hit the market at once!)

04-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lenses, for sure. But if I were you I wouldn't bother with the really top-end lenses yet. If you're happy to manually focus, you could score an SMC-A 50mm 1.4 and 28mm 2.8 for loose change and have enough left over for a decent mid-price new lens like the DA40 or Sigma 30mm 1.4 (or you get the FA 50mm 1.4 for around the same as the DA40, or go for something a little longer like a 100mm macro). I use my 50 and 28 more than anything else, and my composition skills have improved dramatically since I stopped using my zooms so much (for the record I have the 18-55 and 55-300 too). Having said that I did just score a 17-28 fisheye about an hour a go which should see some action.

Macro lenses are great things to have. If like me you often only take one lens with you, having the flexibility to shoot from a few inches to infinity is fantastic. Sigma do a great 50mm 2.8 macro, in manual or autofocus. You might be a little compromised on getting perfect focus near infinity though, as they tend to concentrate on close-focus accuracy. But still a great option.

IMHO you can save a lot of cash and still get great lenses by looking for older models, it's one of the great things about Pentax. And even if you prefer AF, there are still some deals to be had.
04-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Get the 77mm and the 35mmF2.4 Together with your 50mm, you'll have a pretty decent prime kit.

Last edited by benchan21; 04-25-2012 at 05:25 AM.
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

i'd go with lens upgrade first, the k-x is still very capable camera

more importantly i'd go with a lens upgrade which i think i would need first that the kit lenses cannot do

eg: fast normal-ish prime (FA 31 / Sigma 30)

04-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Big bright LCD reading right off the sensor with focus peaking. Without after-market modification.
I'd say that's a pretty good start.
Yeah, I have tried (extensively) the focus-peaking route with my NEX cameras. As you say, it's a good start but far from perfect.

The OVF still has the edge for manual focusing in my opinion, especially with the right focusing screen. That said, I do like the live-view, magnified focusing on my K-5 when doing landscapes!
04-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I NEVER get this 'wait for Photokina or this or that show' why why why !?!?

IF a camera is announced that you like the sound of at Photokina then it will still be months away from retailing, totaling nearly a year from now. You will be forced into being an early adopter and paying top whack. It may be more than you want to or can afford to pay, putting you back where you are now. In the meantime (depending on your age and your fate) 2 - 100% of the remaining years of your life goes by whilst just waiting for the damn camera to appear at a price you can afford.

And yet there is the K5 just sitting there, at an unbelievable US$850 that would give you a MAJOR increase over a Kx .. starting tomorrow. And who knows what is going to happen in the next year .. maybe you win the lottery !

I don't know what you shoot but for me I'd sell all your kit bar the 18-55 (because it's worth peanuts yet is a decent lens and covers a great FL) and buy the K5 plus 35/2.4 and 70 Ltd. 18-55/35/70 is going to cover an awful lot of ground (keep the 55-300 if you need the long end). Then add more lenses as your reserves increase.

Last edited by Frogfish; 04-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
The focusing screen on the K-5 is easily replaceable...
K-x focusing screen is also replaceable, just so you know. I have a Katzeye on my K-x. Helps a lot with the manual focusing.

I have been considering the same question about lens versus a new camera lately, so nice to see all the thoughtful replies.
04-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, when the successor of k-5 first come out, it must be expensive. and if you want the price goes down to the price of k-5 now, you need to wait another one and half year. and at that time, another new camera will be out...so never ending dilemma.

Last edited by liukaitc; 04-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
well, when the successor of k-5 first come out, it must be expensive. and if you want the price goes down to the price of k-5 now, you need to wait another one and half year. and at that time, another new camera will be out...so never ending dilemma.
And any electronic device you buy is obsolete before you unwrap it. Hello, GBA!