Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

New Camera or new lens???

Hi all,

I have a K-x with the 18-55 & 55-300 kit lenses. I also have a 50mm f2.0 prime lens.

My conundrum is this: I have enough in my budget to either buy the K-5 body and keep my current lenses. Or I can keep my K-x and invest in one perhaps two really nice additions to the lenses that I already have...(i.e. perhaps one of the limited primes, like the 31 or 77mm one)

I have not been unhappy with the K-x, but I keep hearing how really good the K-5 is.

I am looking for some opinions from those who may have been in my situation and see if they are happy with their decision.

Thanks alot for your consideration.

Mort.

04-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that a new high-end DSLR is on its way, I'd invest in lenses for now. A limited lens would surely make a nice addition to your kit!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
I definately would not give up the glass.

Yes the K-5 is a very impressive choice, but... Chances are that one will technically always be able to upgrade thei camera bodies about every year or two. The real question should perhaps be; what are the strengths and weaknesses of the existing camera body?
04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. While the K5 is nice (I've got one), but you need some interesting glass. I never fail to suggest a macro.... It opens a whole new world to you of taking
pictures of bugs andn flowers. If you get the 100mm (my first choice) it also makes a decent fast prime for general purpose photography. really good for the church/school christmas program....

04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What do you primarily shoot?

How do you shoot and in what mode mostly?

Are your images for online, prints or both and in what percentage?

Do you use all the features and modes on your camera?

We all get these wants hence the GBA (gear buying addiction) connundrum which we all deny you seem to be in the early stages and may not need anything...just seriously answer those questions...i'm giving you another option to consider

Last edited by Clicker; 04-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good glass essentially lasts indefinitely.
DSLR's last couple of years if you want to have latest, but the latest DSLR will give small incremental change, a 6 year old DSLR is almost the same--it does not make the picture.
New/Different Glass changes viewpoint and/or gives major change (e.g., wide angle, extreme telephoto, macro, super fast and small DOF, etc.).
Yout list of lenses is very small--much more room for a change there.
04-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Adam and the others. Unless you really *need* a body upgrade now (low light, high speed sports, etc.), treat yourself to one of the FA limiteds (and either of the two you mention would be sublime) and wait for Photokina before thinking about a new body.

Quality primes change your view of the world.

04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recently upgraded to a K-5 from a K-x, while Im very happy with the upgrade I made sure I upgraded glass first. If you like your 50 f2 as far as focal length give the F50 1.7 a try. The DA35 2.4 is said to be a great lens at about $200 that still leaves you with $600. You can get a lot farther with $1000 in lenses than an upgrade in body IMHO. Upgrade your lenses now and wait for the K-5 successor.
04-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmm, new camera or new lens? I'd say NEITHER, for now. As recommended, wait for new camera announcements, which should happen soon. Then you'll have a better idea of whether to jump for a new body if one is really super-duper. IT IS RUMORED THAT Pentax will announce 4 dSLR bodies: a new entry-level APS-C; a Kr upgrade; a K5 replacement; and an FF. Whether anything but the FF will beat the pants off your Kx is anybody's guess. So be patient. As the Martians say: Waiting is.
04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi guys.

Thanks for the candid replies. I really appreciate your opinions.

dms said "good glass last indefinitely". That and what Adam said gets me thinking that adding a high quality lens or 2 (if I can find 2 and not break my budget) is the way to go for me.

What I don't want is to fall into what Clicker referred to as GBA. I do want to make sure what I spend will be of lasting value.

I am open to more suggestions as well.

EDIT: The primary reason from my looking at the K5 is that I don't like not having a split lens focus ring that I am used to, i.e. back when I used 35mm pentax camera in school.

Thanks,

Mort.

Last edited by Mortimer; 04-24-2012 at 11:07 PM.
04-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No split lens focussing on the K-5 I'm afraid Mort. The best Pentax for manual focus is currently the K-01.
04-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No split lens focussing on the K-5 I'm afraid Mort. The best Pentax for manual focus is currently the K-01.
The focusing screen on the K-5 is easily replaceable...

How is the K-01 the best Pentax for manual focusing?
04-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
How is the K-01 the best Pentax for manual focusing?
Big bright LCD reading right off the sensor with focus peaking. Without after-market modification.
I'd say that's a pretty good start.
04-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Buy it if you need it.

Think hard if you want it!
Sooner or later you will upgrade your camera body. A good Pentax prime will last you a long, long time....
04-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I recently made an upgrade to a K-5 from K20D mainly because I'll be going to the X-Games in Los Angeles this year and will be taking a lot of High-Speed sports like skateboarding, rally racing, etc.
My 50-135 is only f/2.8, so I figure my K20D would suffer a bit for a action photography.
But then I realized how great the upgrade really was. My DA40 is seeing a new light to its capabilities. I often take photos indoors, and K-5's high ISO capabilities just threw me off the rooftop.

But then K-x has a way better ISO performance than K20D, so I don't know...