Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"IFBAGON" branded lenses = ?

Bonjour,

At my local thrift store I picked up several M42 lenses and non-Pentax bodies with their lenses ... in this purchased I "blindly" got two IFBAGON lenses ... a 35 mm 2.8 and a 135mm 2.8, both in their cases. I say "blindly", because I have never seen this brand before. The 35 is in great shape, but the 135 has a messed up aperture that I could maybe fix.

From the net I have gleaned conflicting information ... apparently these lens were re-badged for France, but their origin is uncertain to me as of the moment ...

One site says that they may be Rollei (see Captain Jack's Rollei SL35 Lens Page ) and another says they may be Voigtlander (see lenses ) ... does anyone have an idea and/or some info that could help me?

Please note that both my lenses have "LENS MADE IN JAPAN" on them, thus I doubt the "European" origin, but maybe they were made under license(s), etc.

Sample photos are below ... also, I found a Tamron 35/2.8 that looks identical to the 35mm (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/3554807863/in/photostream/ ) ... Thanks for any assistance!

Merci d'avance, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Sample photos are below ... also, I found a Tamron 35/2.8 that looks identical the the 35mm (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster...n/photostream/ ) ... Thanks for any assistance!
Wouldn't surprise me. At one point in the 1970s, it was rumored that Tamron was making most of the generic camera lenses coming out of Japan.

Steve
04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
One site says that they may be Rollei (see Captain Jack's Rollei SL35 Lens Page ) and another says they may be Voigtlander (see lenses ) ... does anyone have an idea and/or some info that could help me?
I've seen them before (in Canada), but then again, many manufacturers used to market in Canada using UK stock.

Here is a (lens repair) site that mentions the IFBAGON:

IFBAGON 50/1.8 - This is an 50/1.8 M42 planar lens, designed by Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen, not Jena) and built by Rollei in Singapore.
This one is branded as Ifbagon, but it is also available under the "Rollei - Design by Carl Zeiss" and "Voigtländer Color-Ultron" labels.

Hope that helps!
04-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Merci beaucoup ...

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've seen them before (in Canada), but then again, many manufacturers used to market in Canada using UK stock.

Here is a (lens repair) site that mentions the IFBAGON:

IFBAGON 50/1.8 - This is an 50/1.8 M42 planar lens, designed by Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen, not Jena) and built by Rollei in Singapore.
This one is branded as Ifbagon, but it is also available under the "Rollei - Design by Carl Zeiss" and "Voigtländer Color-Ultron" labels.

Hope that helps!
Bonjour panoguy,

Thanks for your info ... I think that mine are Tamy knock-offs, but I am now going to keep an eye out of the better quality of these IFBAGON lenses ...

Salut, J Frog

04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Merci Steve ...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wouldn't surprise me. At one point in the 1970s, it was rumored that Tamron was making most of the generic camera lenses coming out of Japan.
Steve
It's more than likely that mine are Tamy(s), almost positive for the 35mm ... but it's good to discover new possible hidden treasures which may be found some day ... dream on!
05-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Ifbagon 135mm f2.8 = Auto Chinon

Bonjour,

I think that I found the source ... almost 100% identical appearance, plus the lens came with a "Mirageflex 1000 S" which is a Chinon 1000 S.

See : Digital World for Chinon lenses

Salut, John

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-12-2012 at 02:11 AM.