Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've never been in a helicopter, but i took a picture of this Navy one as it checked us out while i was riding in a moving, shaking, whale-spotting tourist boat on Puget Sound. Shutter 1/1000s, iso 400, F4.5, DA*300. If you can use a fast shutter speed like this, you don't need SR. I agree that the SR is not in any danger, but the problem with SR is that it takes a full 2 sec for SR to re-establish itself after you move it to a new direction. Members complain about random OOF shots with K5, but its more likely due to people not waiting till the SR hand shows up in the viewfinder. Actually, you're going to have a lot to shoot at, why waste time on SR when you really ought to be moving your camera around rapidly and shooting anything that looks like it might be good. Turn your SR off is my advice and keep your speed up to 1/1000 or faster. (there was a UV filter on the lens but not polarizer)

Impressive handheld with a 300mm! I actually need to take a lot of photos in bumpy boats on the same trip. I was wondering which lens to take for that, 55-300 or DA*200. Probably the 55-300 because it's lighter and i will only do daytime and outdoor shoots.

K-r can definitely handle very fast shutter speed, I'll keep in mind that I need to turn SR off at 1/1000 or faster

04-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've never been in a helicopter, but i took a picture of this Navy one as it checked us out while i was riding in a moving, shaking, whale-spotting tourist boat on Puget Sound. Shutter 1/1000s, iso 400, F4.5, DA*300. If you can use a fast shutter speed like this, you don't need SR. I agree that the SR is not in any danger, but the problem with SR is that it takes a full 2 sec for SR to re-establish itself after you move it to a new direction. Members complain about random OOF shots with K5, but its more likely due to people not waiting till the SR hand shows up in the viewfinder. Actually, you're going to have a lot to shoot at, why waste time on SR when you really ought to be moving your camera around rapidly and shooting anything that looks like it might be good. Turn your SR off is my advice and keep your speed up to 1/1000 or faster. (there was a UV filter on the lens but not polarizer)

FYI, that's a Sikorsky Seahawk

But yes, if the day is bright providing lots of natural light, make the most of it and shoot at fast shutter speeds. Fast shutter speeds are recommended anyway since you are moving after all. And if you do decide to use the 55-300 to get some closer detail, then all the more reason to shoot fast!
04-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #33

Original Poster
Unless its raining, which isn't good for any photos on the ocean anyway, Australia has loads of sunlight during the day, so it should be fine. I am probably taking the 17-70 for helicopter and 55-300 for the boat (but I'll get extremely seasick so probably not much work from the boat )
04-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I still think a CPL will be beneficial, turn it and when the shot looks good click-infinty focus so you dont have to worry- If you do go without the CPL think about a rubber lens hood so you can press up against the glass may help with reflections, may add more shake but still handy for that next museum shoot

04-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #35

Original Poster
How do you do infinity focus?

Is the Hoya multi hood made of rubber?

I also got a cheap 2nd hand 2x telecoverter so I can turn my 200mm into 400mm but the weight is gonna be too much for me on my trip so I will only take the 55-300
04-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
FYI, that's a Sikorsky Seahawk

But yes, if the day is bright providing lots of natural light, make the most of it and shoot at fast shutter speeds. Fast shutter speeds are recommended anyway since you are moving after all. And if you do decide to use the 55-300 to get some closer detail, then all the more reason to shoot fast!
If I turn off the camera SR, do you think Sigma OS is better than the non OS lens? Or does it not matter as long as the shutter speed is faster than 1/1000?
04-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Generally speaking, the OS in the normal zoom range Sigma lenses aren't that much better than the in-body Pentax SR. Sometimes they're worse - so it'd be best if you turn off the Sigma OS. And yes, it won't matter as long as the shutter speed is 1/1000 or faster.

Just as with philbaum's example, 1/1000 is almost enough to freeze a helicopters rotor blades in place.

Elvis Air-Crane @ 300m f/5.8 ISO800 1/1000 +3EV (taken on the ground though :P)

OS and SR which are for the (comparatively) slowest hand movements/shakiness really won't compare against a fast (enough) shutter speed.
04-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Can I screw the polarizer on top of my UV filter?
You don't need the UV filter if you have a polarizer on, and it might create vigneting indeed. In fact, many would argue that you don't need a UV filter at all.

I've used the CPL once before when I was very new to my camera and had no idea what it was about, and the dark vignetting around the edges was just disastrous
that's because you either stacked filters or you got a polarizer that's too thick for your lens' field of view. You're seeing the rim of the filter.

I thought it would be extremely hard. So should I just forget about using the CPL in the air and save it for the ground then?? Or on the boat.
It's easy with a little practice. 90 is the most you have to swivel a polarizer to reach both ends of its range, between full reflections and minimum reflections. If you swivel it further than that you just start over. With a little practice you will get the knack of what to look for and it will become easy.

But you've been given misleading advice on one topic : when behind a window, the whole interest of a polarizer is NOT to emphasize the reflections on the water below. It is to cut the reflection and glare from the window! And that will change very little during your whole flight. So just look AT THE WINDOW through your viewfinder, and try to cut the reflections as much as possible, making the window transparent. Then shoot away, keeping an eye on how the window looks to adjust as needed. Really easy.

Also got another question popping up in my head: Would it be difficult to shoot in the helicopter with my sunglasses on? I think it's very hard to judge the exposure with sunglasses but my eyes are pretty bad so I have to wear either glasses or prescription sunglasses.
I'd remove the sunglasses, they might mess up with what you see, especially if they are polarized.

04-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #39

Original Poster
THanks everyone.

My sunglasses lenses are brown but they are not polarized. The thing is - I have super bad eyesight and my option is either wearing contacts (very uncomfortable) with normal sunglasses or wearing prescription sunglasses (which means I wont see anything if I take them off), or... wear normal glasses and no sunglasses at all... (But Aussie sunlight is quite horrible)

Turned out that I'm getting an OS version of the Sigma lens (I was going to get the non OS, but the hood was missing and seller said it was a store display item, so I gave up and got an OS one for the same price).

I suppose I should turn both SR and OS off then? (If it's a bright day)
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
Pentaxian

wear normal glasses and no sunglasses at all... (But Aussie sunlight is quite horrible)
To each his own, but I too wear prescription glasses and I've never felt so worried about not wearing sunglasses. When I'm shooting important pictures I don't wear sunglasses, they prevent me from seeing the info at the bottom of the viewfinder and they make reviewing pictures difficult. But if you want to wear them, just do, and enjoy your flight.
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #41

Original Poster
I'm back from the trip. I did wear sunglasses and used the Sigma 17-70 lens. I'm still not quite familiar with this lens..

I sometimes used the CPL filter and sometimes didn't. When I did use it sometimes it worked well and sometimes it didn't. The weather and light conditions were different even during a 30 min flight.

Last edited by junototoro; 05-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.
05-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #42
Site Supporter

OK the rainbow photos are definitely winners!
05-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
OK the rainbow photos are definitely winners!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
too bad the reflection. I thought the shots using CPL are just beautiful.
05-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #44

Original Poster
It had showers on the day, but sometimes it became partially sunny. Overall it wasn't that bright a day, so using CPL sometimes made the shutter too slow for the fast moving aircraft...