Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I just got my Helios 44K-4 lens from the Ukraine today. I paid $79 including shipping on eBay for it.

Everything is okay except the focusing. When I turn it, it INTERMITTENTLY does any of the following: gets stiff at points, gets loose at points, clicks, pops, slips, etc..

Anyone else experience this problem with this lens? Don't tell me this is a normal attribute of this lens!--lol.

They knew what they were selling me.. they knew it had problems. I feel cheated and I have no idea what to do about it.

This is the item I won: Helios-44K-4 2/58 Russian LOGO Lens for cameras Pentax K mount RARE | eBay
What you should do: return the lens, ask full refund. You'll spend about $15 on shipping and your time of course. The lens like that can't cost $79 in Ukraine. You can easily find a dozen of Helioses, K-mount and screw-mount, at every flea-market in Ukraine. You can get one for $20-40. For $50 you get Zenith camera with Helios. Needless to say lenses are in good condition, you can check and test each one right there. Your lens must be excellent and minty-mint for $79.

Unfortunately some ex-USSR sellers are not completely honest... It's a pity for me 'cause I'm ex-USSR person too. I can't believe the seller of 500+ of photo items can't see the issues of the lens. The damaged Helioses use to be purchased for making the 'monocle' lens but not for that much.

You can check:
http://molotok.ru/ms-gelios-44k-4-2h50-na-pentaks-i2207255399.html
http://molotok.h.mail.ru/zenit-212k-ms-gelios-44k-4-i2281363580.html

that's Russian online market. Even if you're not reading in Russian there are prices in USD: 35,66 $ for a lens and 61,12 $ for a kit.

Last edited by NoMaD_PS; 04-27-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: information added
04-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are also lots of helios on ebay where you can pick up several for the price you paid. it sounds to me like this is one that should have been part of a lot. If you can get 4 of them that you can clean up CLA and spend an average of $15 each then you can resell 3 keep one and have a profit for your time.
I'm in the camp that would dispute it on paypal if the answer wasn't very favourable. what he described and what he shipped are 2 different things from what you have said (having not seen the listing i can't be certain of course)
these lenses were produced in enormous quantity and should be easy to get cheap.
04-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i would use White lithium grease, easy to find, won't harden, won't liquify can take extreme heat and cold (it is an automotive grease)
cheap as chips too. $8 will buy you enough to do many lenses
What he said. Your lens should be pretty easy to disassemble. Use the links in the comments above.

On the matter of dealing with the seller...stiff or jerky focus on a Helios is not unusual and becomes the norm with age. That being said, a lens that can't be easily focused is hardly in working condition. I would play hardball with the seller and ask for a return with full refund of shipping both ways. As for the price...too high.

Steve

(...been thinking of doing a prospecting expedition to Eastern Europe to buy all the Helii I can find...could probably pay for the trip on the east/west price difference...)
04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...been thinking of doing a prospecting expedition to Eastern Europe to buy all the Helii I can find...could probably pay for the trip on the east/west price difference...)
If you widened the assortment and grabbed the Jupiter 9 85 /2 and the Mir 37 35mm as well you may well be able to do it. Any soviet era lens is much cheaper in the eastern block. No-one who lives there is lining up to buy them on Ebay, they all show up at the flea markets. I keep pushing my wife for a trip there - little does she realise it's to feed my LBA CBA bwhahahahaha

04-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Tuesday's French thrift shop score ... among other goodies

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... Steve (...been thinking of doing a prospecting expedition to Eastern Europe to buy all the Helii I can find...could probably pay for the trip on the east/west price difference...)
Bonjour,

Here's part of my haul from the beginning of this week ... 4 bodies with lenses plus two cased lenses from my local French thrift shop.

I had some good luck ... and for very cheap. The 44-2 is optically very good, but the Zenith's curtain/mirror is jammed (for the moment).

Salut, J Frog

04-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well thanks for all the replies. The seller (who has a 100% rating btw) responded to my e-mail last night and said he would like for me to return the lens back to him. He's offering a full refund and return shipping costs (about $15).

I've never mailed anything internationally btw. He's in the Ukraine. Can I track packages sent internationally? I don't want to have problems, sigh. Wish he would of countered with a reasonable discount and I could have this lens serviced, oh well. Guess I am mailing it back.
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Tracking from US to France

Well thanks for all the replies. The seller (who has a 100% rating btw) responded to my e-mail last night and said he would like for me to return the lens back to him. He's offering a full refund and return shipping costs (about $15).

I've never mailed anything internationally btw. He's in the Ukraine. Can I track packages sent internationally? I don't want to have problems, sigh. Wish he would of countered with a reasonable discount and I could have this lens serviced, oh well. Guess I am mailing it back.
Bonjour,

Just FYI ... My mom has sent stuff to us in France via a tracking system (which one? I do not recall right now) ...

Sorry, I do not know anything about the Ukraine ... good luck and keep us informed.

Bon courage, J Frog
04-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #23

I would guess, as long as you keep the receipt, both you and the seller would be covered under Ebay protection. Not sure about Ukraine, but we do mail gifts to Russia from time to time - never had a problem.

For a Helios, $79 is quite steep. To give you a scale: when I was in Ukraine couple years ago, we had a conversation with a police officer - these guys are making ~$200 per month in salary after tax.

I have a few USSR lenses in the closet: Industar 50, Helios 44, and Jupiter 37A - the latter two eventually developed the same problems as yours, they were manufactured in 1980's and have been through many interesting places in Siberia.

04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery

Check your post office site or ask for a shipment with tracking. Good luck with your quest!
04-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He only wants to give me $15 back on it (the cost of return shipping). So I can do that or risk sending it back.. I have a feeling if I mail it back I am gonna get scammed. I don't know what to do .. I guess I should just take the $15 and try and fix it myself.
04-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just emailed him and told him to refund me $15 and it'll be settled.. Guess I'll try and fix it myself.
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Just emailed him and told him to refund me $15 and it'll be settled.. Guess I'll try and fix it myself.
If you decide to have it professionally relubed here in the USA, I can recommend Paul Ebel (1+651-335-8759, paulebel44@yahoo.com) in Menomonee, WI. He relubed a Jupiter-85 for me.

Regards, Jim