Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All these $10 PKA teleconverters that you can de-glass to make extension tubes...

... Where are they?

I've heard plenty about buying $10 PK-A TCs to make extension tubes from, but I've scoured the web, and nada, zilch, zero.

KEH does have $10 PK-A TC's but after $18 shipping (which is nuts for something as small as a 2x TC) it's more like a $30 TC.

Any ideas?

Bobbo :-)

04-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an idea, if you have the time- buy a 35mm Pentax SLR set-up on Ebay/Craigslist/Pawn, many times you will get a converter in a lot like that. Then, pick out what you want to keep and clean up/check the rest of the equipment to see how it works and resell it to get your money back or possibly earn more.

Doesn't it stink that when you're not looking for something, they always come up everywhere, but when you are looking to buy, you can't find one at a decent price anywhere?
04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
All these $10 PKA teleconverters that you can de-glass to make extension tubes...
... Where are they?
KEH does have $10 PK-A TC's
You answered your own question

On the serious though, I have picked them up for $20, between $20~$30 is the normal average, unless you are @RioRico - between $20 and $30 is a good number though...
04-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Julie has it just right. Buy a batch-lot film kit, keep the goodies and sell the rest. The goodies may include TCs and filters. The rest may include bodies, flashes, mini-pods, and camera bags that smell like they've been stored in a humidor for a couple decades. I've got my best bargains this way.

I have two A-type 2x TCs. Cost: US$5 for one and $25 for the other, for an average of US$15. The cheap one was in a kit, the other was a standalone auction. Be sure to follow my basic rule:

* Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of auctions; don't worry, another will appear soon.

04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Boy , you stirred up my memory. One of these days, I'll get of my storage bag a 2X teleconverter / macro extension accessory I have somewhere and try it on my K10D. When I do it, I'll try it as both converter and extension and will let you guys know how it fares.
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They are a lot less common than full manual ones but can still be had for a deal sometimes. If you intend to just go out and buy one soon then I would plan on paying at least 20-30$. If you don't mind adding it to your would like one someday list and start watching for them on ebay, getting one cheap is reasonable. Follow riorico's advice about bidding often and low. If you see one, bid low on it. Who cares if you loose, another will come along. Who cares if you loose a few times or even several, eventually you will probably win one cheap enough. Bidding higher will probably get you one faster but if you want cheap you will have to be patient.

Fyi, try several different search terms, teleconverter, extender, 2x etc. Selecting used can help weed out some of the front mount converters when you search 2x but its still good to view 200 per page and gallery view so you can just page through them quick. I got a promaster one for 10.98 shipped off ebay in the beginning of march. It is a ricoh version but the ricoh pin is so mild that it goes on and off without any issues. The ricoh pin is rounded, doesn't stick out far and is about as strong as the rest of the contacts. A function works fine.
04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I picked up my first one about 2 months ago accidentally in a lot that included a P5 and A50 1.7 for $39 shipped. I just won another one off Ebay for $15 shipped two days ago which no one bid on. Both of them are Katana 2x. Besides KA mount look for KR mount TCs which also have A contacts.
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can make your own if you are a poor man like me.
https://www.box.com/s/07fbf8f82e37f9505ac6
Or:
From the 1970's when you looked at the Pentax catalogs and thought it will be small beers to get the Pentax gear later:
https://www.box.com/s/cb73428afabbd5f3a5f9
This is the MX, the Auto Bellows M , and the SMC PENTAX Dental Macro 1:4 100mm
Taken TTL mode with the SMC PENTAX 1:2.8 24mm which is a challenge for me to use but is a master in low light wider dof jobs. I did not quite get it right tonight.

04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
I picked up my first one about 2 months ago accidentally in a lot that included a P5 and A50 1.7 for $39 shipped. I just won another one off Ebay for $15 shipped two days ago which no one bid on. Both of them are Katana 2x. Besides KA mount look for KR mount TCs which also have A contacts.
No one bid On the one I got either. Thats one thing to remember, if you are going to remove the glass anyway, any brand regardless of optical quality will work fine. Thats why I would search generic terms and consider anything you run across.
04-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess I'll just keep an eye out & bid on the auctions. I usually just do the buy it nows.
04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, I guess I'll just keep an eye out & bid on the auctions. I usually just do the buy it nows.
Some BINs are fine but most ain't. Adapter rings, lens|body caps, bare macro tubes -- such paraphernalia usually aren't worth bids. But bigger stuff is all-too-often terribly overpriced. I can think of maybe 3 lenses (out of 350+) that I got BIN.
04-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Some BINs are fine but most ain't. Adapter rings, lens|body caps, bare macro tubes -- such paraphernalia usually aren't worth bids. But bigger stuff is all-too-often terribly overpriced. I can think of maybe 3 lenses (out of 350+) that I got BIN.
I've gotten a couple of great BIN deals on lenses, but admittedly not many. I'm cheap, so I don't overspend.
04-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you spend time scouring Ebay you can find a lens that you might want with goodies attached to it. I found a K35f3.5 for $85 (BIN) that came with a telephoto zoom and a 2x TC. I've also picked up a vivitar set of ext tubes and a couple of extra flashes (for off camera use) this way. I think I hate you for reminding about Ebay. It's been at least 6 months since I bought something on there.
04-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard plenty about buying $10 PK-A TCs to make extension tubes from, but I've scoured the web, and nada, zilch, zero.

KEH does have $10 PK-A TC's but after $18 shipping (which is nuts for something as small as a 2x TC) it's more like a $30 TC.
I currently have two such, having paid an average of around US$21 including shipping, on eBay. Both were KR mount, with the 6 KA contacts plus the Ricoh contact. I also ordered one from KEH as part of a larger order, but it turned out to be plain K-mount, and I returned it because they didn't have any A-type units. (Even though one photo in their manual focus TC listing clearly showed a KR-type unit). I still look for these on eBay, as I'd like one more, but most sellers set a minimum bid or b-i-n price higher than I'm willing to pay. I've stopped looking at film camera bundles because it takes too much time, many such listings being poorly described, but as various posts suggest above, that is probably the most likely route to getting one on the cheap (that is, if you are able to use or sell off the rest of the bundle).

I've found that DA-type lenses don't play as well with these A-type units as well as I had hoped. Yes, you can control aperture, but the aperture range is reported incorrectly (at least in my K10D) with many lenses. My one DA* lens works correctly, though.
05-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

Just picked up a Pentax-M F1.4 lens (which was what I was after) for $80 shipped.

It came with a 2.0 PK extension tube, ME Super, Tamron-M 35-105 (9.2 rating) lens, low-end flash, ME Super Manual, 2 pentax flyers (cameras and lenses), flash manual. The camera body is pristine with only 1 small scratch on the pentaprism and there are caps and/or bags for all the lenses.

My 10-year olds are gonna learn photography on ME Supers !!! Lucky dogs !!!!