Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

HELP! Got caught in a storm

Hi All,

Last night I was out shooting and the heavens suddenly opened. It took me about a 1 minute to get my camera (k-r with DA 16-45 mounted) into my bag, but in that time it got pretty wet. I dried the outside of it soon as I got back to the car, and thought it was ok. Then today I got it out and looked through the view finder and it was all foggy. I took off the lens and the back element was covered in condensation, and when I zoomed the lens there was quite a bit of water on the barrel. I have wiped off that moisture and the lens looks clear now.

What should I do now to make sure it is properly dry?

04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get some silica gel/dessicant bags, put the lens and camera into a ziplock bag (preferably one each), and put the dessicants inside. I believe some people suggest having warm air introduced into the bags before you seal them so the water evaporates faster. I'd just leave the bags in sunlight and that should do it.

Make sure you have quite a bit of dessicants in each bag to ensure they absorb all the water. Rice works too.
04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll have a hunt for them at lunch time.
04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also Suggest that you refrain from turning it on. Remove the batteries and leave the battery door open, and any memory card covers etc to allow moisture to escape. Put in a snap lock bag with lots of desiccants in a warm spot.

04-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Get some silica gel/dessicant bags, put the lens and camera into a ziplock bag (preferably one each), and put the dessicants inside. I believe some people suggest having warm air introduced into the bags before you seal them so the water evaporates faster. I'd just leave the bags in sunlight and that should do it.

Make sure you have quite a bit of dessicants in each bag to ensure they absorb all the water. Rice works too.
Great idea.

Good luck!
04-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Basmarti rice works well take the battery out as well i put my Kx in an open bag in the fridge for a week then in a sunny spot for 1 day to worm up this was after my kx spent nearly 20 minutes submerged in muddy fresh water, Then had the camera professionally cleaned and is still in use today.
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, done as suggested. How long do you think I should leave it in the bag for? Thanks for the help.

If it has water damage it is a good argument that I can make to my wife for getting the k-5 and DA*16-60.

04-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
Ok, done as suggested. How long do you think I should leave it in the bag for? Thanks for the help.

If it has water damage it is a good argument that I can make to my wife for getting the k-5 and DA*16-60.
Ah now we find your true motive. Better leave it in there for about 16 months, so yeah you'll need a back-up Weather sealed K-5 should do the trick.