Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

smc fa 50mm f1.4 lens

Can any one recommend a good uv filter for my lens thanks

04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to a definitive review. I assume you are shooting film?
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here is a link to a definitive review. I assume you are shooting film?
am still a bit new to this I got this lens to go with my pentax kr, will a uv filter protect the lens from the sun thanks
04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On film, UV filters were used because too much UV would alter the color balance on the film. On digital there is no use for a UV filter. Except to put more money in the camera salesperson's pocket.

You can use a 'filter' on the front to protect the lens from knocks and scratches but there are just as many reasons to NOT use one as there is to use one. Modern lenses have quite good coatings and really don't need the protection. Unless you are shooting in really awful conditions, sea spray, blowing sand, whatever, adding a filter just degrades the image quality.

I believe you are far better protected by using a lens hood, and the hood actually will improve the image quality. It sticks out enough that you are unlikely to knock the lens glass against anything and if you put the lens cap back on before tossing the camera in the bag, well that's all you need.

Just about the only filters of any use on digital are polarizers, and neutral density ones. All the other stuff you see advertised was used on film and is not needed on digital.

04-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
On film, UV filters were used because too much UV would alter the color balance on the film. On digital there is no use for a UV filter. Except to put more money in the camera salesperson's pocket.

You can use a 'filter' on the front to protect the lens from knocks and scratches but there are just as many reasons to NOT use one as there is to use one. Modern lenses have quite good coatings and really don't need the protection. Unless you are shooting in really awful conditions, sea spray, blowing sand, whatever, adding a filter just degrades the image quality.

I believe you are far better protected by using a lens hood, and the hood actually will improve the image quality. It sticks out enough that you are unlikely to knock the lens glass against anything and if you put the lens cap back on before tossing the camera in the bag, well that's all you need.

Just about the only filters of any use on digital are polarizers, and neutral density ones. All the other stuff you see advertised was used on film and is not needed on digital.
thanks for the great info I got a hood with the lens so I just leave it the way it is thanks once again for your help regards darren