Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 Test Shots

Anyone have this lens. I purchased this from a great seller in ebay and here are my 1st few shots with the lens

#2 forget to bring lens hood

#4 He is funny and scary

#5 Flower surprise in New Year Eye to my wife still standing<br>

I love the lens so far, anyone who have this lens, please share your thoughts on strength and weaknesses. I don't think the focal range interest many people but I am thinking of getting this lens to compliment future purchase of Tamron 28-75 as a pair to go out until I get something more solid on the wider end.

Thanks,
Hin

01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I love the lens so far, anyone who have this lens, please share your thoughts on strength and weaknesses. I don't think the focal range interest many people but I am thinking of getting this lens to compliment future purchase of Tamron 28-75 as a pair to go out until I get something more solid on the wider end.
Beautiful photos. I have the lens too and also think it's pretty nice, especially for the price.

I'd describe the focal length as "the boring wide-to-normal" range. I think once I get the DA 21mm Limited, I'll probably sell it. Although it also works very nicely on my K1000, and once you put it on a full-frame camera 19mm is suddenly excitingly wide. In fact, I was just thinking that combo is what I'll take out with me tomorrow when I saw this thread.
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- sure does flare like crazy. I really need to get a lens hood -- sold separately, apparently.
01-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- sure does flare like crazy. I really need to get a lens hood -- sold separately, apparently.
Thanks for the kind comments. I did run into a lot of flare in shooting into the sunset. I have cropped the pictures to minimize the flare showing and I forgot to bring in the 72" lens hood that I got with the lens ebay purchase.

I intend to use the Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 on my film body. I wonder if the Tamron 28-75 will work for film body as well as it serves the dSLR. I intend to get the two lens as a compliment to each other for the focal range. I would opt for a Pentax 10-17 along with a Pentax 21 but for now, I can't afford any of the wider lens and hence the compromise on getting the Tokina 19-35. I will keep testing it and report back. So far, my experience has been quite positive for <$100 that I paid for the lens.

Thanks,
Hin

01-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if this is the same lens as the Cosina in the same 19-35 range? I've been thinking about picking up one of those but info and sample pictures are hard to come by.
01-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice photos - any lens will have flare issues shooting into the sun, I reckon it's done well.

The bokeh in the last photo seems really weird - like a crosshatch pattern?
01-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Flare? What flare? I do not see any. Did yu crop the images?

01-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the "cross-hatch" pattern is window screen outside a window behind the subject. I have seen that on some of my kitchen table shots.
01-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Does anyone know if this is the same lens as the Cosina in the same 19-35 range? I've been thinking about picking up one of those but info and sample pictures are hard to come by.
I think the Cosina is the same lens. I bought one of these lenses a while ago and these lenses all seemed to be rebadged from one manufacturer (Tokina possibly?). I have Promaster version to use on my film bodies, although I haven't been shooting much film lately.
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, I remember reading that the Tokina was the only one (Cosina, Vivitar, Phoenix, maybe some others) that wasn't identical to the others, though I don't have the webpage saved. You could probably google it, or actually, it might even be in the archives of this site.
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Nice photos - any lens will have flare issues shooting into the sun, I reckon it's done well.

The bokeh in the last photo seems really weird - like a crosshatch pattern?
The crosshatch pattern comes from a wire screen behind the window. I guess the shallow depth of field yields the crosshatch pattern. And I saw this pattern before with DA 50-200 shooting a tiger across the barb wire cage. All shots are taken in long end of my DA 50-200 in f/5.6 and f/8.0. The cross pattern may have to do with shallow depth of field and the distance of how far I am to the wire that with some calculated DOF, the wire can be hidden in a crosshatch pattern but it is unfortunate that it is still visible in both the tiger and flower shot.

#1 1/40 sec, f/8.0, 200mm, iso 800, 0 Ev (by DA 50-200)

#2 1/150 sec, f/5.6, 160mm, iso 200, 0 Ev (by DA 50-200)

#3 1/20 sec, f/4.5, 80mm, iso 200, 0 Ev (by DA 50-200)

You see the wire on this one, perhaps the wire is still in focus in that aperture and focal length and the relative distance I am shooting with respect to the wire. Very interesting topic that I need to do more study to try to hide the wire for next shoot.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-15-2008 at 07:21 PM.
01-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice photos!
01-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hapo Quote
Actually, I remember reading that the Tokina was the only one (Cosina, Vivitar, Phoenix, maybe some others) that wasn't identical to the others, though I don't have the webpage saved. You could probably google it, or actually, it might even be in the archives of this site.
Ah, you're right. I found a thread here:
Canon EOS Forum: 18-55 kit lens vs. third party 19-35 lens? - photo.net

The Tokina version has internal focusing while the Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix versions don't. My Promaster definitely does not have internal focus.
01-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So I was out shooting with this lens on my K1000 today. Man do I need really-wide-angle lens for my K10D. I guess the DA 12-24 is the focal-length equivalent -- have to put that on the fantasy list.
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm not sure whether they are similar. I have the manual focus Cosina 19-35mm that I got direct from the Cosina factory new. While the specifications appear to be similar to the Tokina, I have discovered some differences.

A search on the net has the Tokina having 6 aperture blades. My Cosina has 8 blades. The Tokina's front barrel doesn't turn when focused (internal focusing?) whereas my Cosina does. Weight wise, the Tokina is a tad heavier.

Please note that the 2 lenses were made in manual focus and auto focus versions, so there might be some redesign of the lens barrels.

I find the lens to be pretty sharp and flare hasn't been a problem. About the only issue with the lens is the big 77mm filter diameter which can be expensive. The focal length range is kinda limited compared to other newer zoom lenses. Other than that, I find the lens is very good value for money. Definitely underrated performance wise.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-15-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo