Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Porst 55 f1.2 with stuck focus ring!

Please please help me out here.

I received another Porst 55mm f1.2 from a German seller via Ebay. It was described as being in perfect condition. It explicitly stated that the focus ring went 100% smoothly. That last part wasn't true! It's stuck. I can't, for the life of me, get any movement in the focus ring.

I tried to disassemble it, and I could get all the way down to the aperture blades. Cleaning out the tiny specs of dust inside was very easy.

But I cannot get to the focus helicoid.

Does anybody know how? Is there a assembly/disassembly guide anywhere? I'm getting kinda desperate now.

The most frustrating thing is. I sold my own beloved Porst 50mm f1.2 about two months ago. But I started missing it! I regretted selling it a lot. And that's why I bought this one. It's my punishment I tell you! :cry:

04-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you looked under the rubber of the focus ring. A lot of lenses hide screws under there. But I can say I've had experience with this particular lens.
04-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Have you looked under the rubber of the focus ring. A lot of lenses hide screws under there. But I can say I've had experience with this particular lens.
Yes, I did. Sadly, no screws there...
04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Hmm I am going to assume you've tried access by the back end as your getting to the aperture module, but have you tried removing everything from the front end?

04-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Hmm I am going to assume you've tried access by the back end as your getting to the aperture module, but have you tried removing everything from the front end?
Actually, I tried it from the front first. As that gave me success with my previous diy cleaning project. (Tair 11a, was really easy.)

I twisted off the filter thread. Then I could just unscrew the huge chunky front element. This exposes the inside of the inner barrel that moves in and out during focussing. It gives direct access to the aperture blades. But sadly, no accessible screws in sight.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm currently opening up a issue via ebay to return the lens to the seller. It's going to be OK, I think, because the German seller clearly stated in the ad that any buyer could return the object within 14 days without even giving up any reason. It's part of the German laws.
04-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Luck has returned, I guess. The seller had no problem with getting the lens shipped back to him and returning me the money. He even agreed, out of himself, to split the sum of the shipping charges.

Meanwhile, I found me a better copy of the Porst 55mm f1.2 that even looks much better then the one I'm returning. It actually looks 100% unused. And is 75 euros cheaper too. It's selling for 80 euros (about $100) And that's pretty cheap for a 55mm 1.2 Cosina copy. Or am I wrong there?
04-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

wouldn't have a clue at pricing of the 55 1.2's just hunt around for past sales to get an idea.