Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens - Black vs Silver:

I would appreciate help understanding the difference, other than color, between the Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Black vs. Silver version. The black version appears to be available at substantially lower prices. Thanks.

04-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I would appreciate help understanding the difference, other than color, between the Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Black vs. Silver version. The black version appears to be available at substantially lower prices. Thanks.
It's the colour - that simple. The optics and the mechanics are identical, but the silver version is made in smaller numbers than the black, and so it is priced higher. Mine is the silver version, which I bought at a reasonable price from a Forum member, simply to match my silver FA77.
04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To further what rob said, there is some of the FA ltd's with a different coating. These were some of the early production runs, Had lead coatings and produced a slightly lighter image with slightly better colours. And these one ones tend to draw higher prices. And there is also the MIJ versions vs AIV which have (apparently) poorer quality control. But in my opinion they are all incredibly good no matter the coating and where it was built.
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Silver one is a special lens that makes the girls look thinner, or so you can make them believe

04-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
gtl
Veteran Member

Silver is actually cheaper in most countries that offer both colors. Like in japan or hong kong. Or they are priced equivalently as the black, like in Singapore. I really like the silver as its more resistant to wear but I got a deal on the black ones.
04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's the colour - that simple. The optics and the mechanics are identical, but the silver version is made in smaller numbers than the black, and so it is priced higher. Mine is the silver version, which I bought at a reasonable price from a Forum member, simply to match my silver FA77.
Where can we buy a camera that takes two lenses?

Buy a K-5 Silver with that lens and you have a wonderful set.

04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Silver is actually cheaper in most countries that offer both colors. Like in japan or hong kong. Or they are priced equivalently as the black, like in Singapore. I really like the silver as its more resistant to wear but I got a deal on the black ones.
That's interesting to hear, although I've never observed it myself. The closest I've seen the pricing was actually at B&H recently, where the two were priced identically, briefly, but the silver version had gone by the time I got back to them! The price variations for both have been enormous, from place to place, including Hong Kong and Japan. If you're looking for a new copy, I suggest you take your time about it, otherwise you could finish up paying a significant premium.

That said, it's a very good lens, which I'm still coming to grips with.

04-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Where can we buy a camera that takes two lenses?
Obviously, there's a TLR, say, a Rolleicord - you could use the 77 for the taking lens and the 43 for the framing lens (to allow for parallax error, of course).

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Buy a K-5 Silver with that lens and you have a wonderful set.
Make me an offer!
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That's interesting to hear, although I've never observed it myself. The closest I've seen the pricing was actually at B&H recently, where the two were priced identically, briefly, but the silver version had gone by the time I got back to them! The price variations for both have been enormous, from place to place, including Hong Kong and Japan. If you're looking for a new copy, I suggest you take your time about it, otherwise you could finish up paying a significant premium.

That said, it's a very good lens, which I'm still coming to grips with.
Woah I have never seen them silver FAs on B&H. At least not in recent memory. I started a thread quite some time back and apparently its no longer offered in the USA.
04-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
To further what rob said, there is some of the FA ltd's with a different coating. These were some of the early production runs, Had lead coatings and produced a slightly lighter image with slightly better colours. And these one ones tend to draw higher prices. And there is also the MIJ versions vs AIV which have (apparently) poorer quality control. But in my opinion they are all incredibly good no matter the coating and where it was built.
Earlier produced FA 43mm had different coating? Can you tell me what would be the serial number range?

Thanks.
04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hagiri_11 Quote
Earlier produced FA 43mm had different coating? Can you tell me what would be the serial number range?

Thanks.
This thread will go into all the particulars,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-14.html
04-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Woah I have never seen them silver FAs on B&H. At least not in recent memory. I started a thread quite some time back and apparently its no longer offered in the USA.
This was probably around a month ago or more, and I didn't buy at the time I found the entry because it was on a Saturday, when they are closed for business. I went back twice while they were closed, just to check, and they were quite definitely listed, but gone the next day. I remember cursing my luck at the time, but it could have been a listing error, although if it wasn't, I imagine that they would have gone quickly, given that they command a higher price than the black version on the used market.
04-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

My Black Fa 43mm is MIJ, and has a serial number of 0024xxx. But the coating gives out colors similar to the picture of the FA43 having a low serial number.

Could be just the angle of view though..
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hagiri_11 Quote
My Black Fa 43mm is MIJ, and has a serial number of 0024xxx. But the coating gives out colors similar to the picture of the FA43 having a low serial number.

Could be just the angle of view though..
The colours that you see reflected would be dependent on the light it is under to an extent, and you might be hard pressed to tell without comparing them side by side. Having said that I am not exactly sure of the point they changed the coatings so yours may still be the old one. But basically I really don't think the very first batch vs the most recent batch will have all that much difference. They still have the same optical design inside them, (possibly manufactured with more precision due to advances in technology) but I can only speculate on that.
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Forum Member

<p>&lt;p&gt;
The colours that you see reflected would be dependent on the light it is under to an extent, and you might be hard pressed to tell without comparing them side by side. Having said that I am not exactly sure of the point they changed the coatings so yours may still be the old one. But basically I really don't think the very first batch vs the most recent batch will have all that much difference. They still have the same optical design inside them, (possibly manufactured with more precision due to advances in technology) but I can only speculate on that.
&lt;/p&gt;</p>
It's just that if it turns out to be one of the rarer ones, i would feel happier, considering that this is now my most expensive lens.

But, as I've stated in my other thread, the lens barrel of my fa 43 has some play. Maybe the newer batches has better build quality.

The rattle is not that bad though, i plan to just use without sending it for a check.

Last edited by hagiri_11; 04-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.