Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently in my eBay Watch list of past auctions that I didn't clean out yet, I see the SMC 50/1.2 going for much less then the Pentax-A 50/1.2 ... like $250 vs $400.

Offer $500 for the lot and be done with it. It may very well be accepted!!!!! Won't you be the envy of all then. Oh, just re-read your 1st post. You're worried about karma then.

01-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
I don't know much about older glass, but came across these in a nice old mans attic. They were his wifes, who never used them. They're all absolute shop new mint, so I want to pay him what they're worth ( so I don't get bad karma ).

SMC Pentax A 135mm F2.8
SMC Pentax A 35-105 F3.5
Takumar 28mm F2.8
SMC Pentax 50mm F2 (there are two of these)
SMC Pentax 50mm F1.7
SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2
Tamron 70-150mm F3.5
Takumar 80-200mm F4.5

What would be the MUST GETS from this lot? And what's a fair price (US or AUS dollars).

Thanks very much for any help you can give.
Looks like a FIND! to me. I don't know about all of these but I have acquired two of them.

I paid a little over 300 USD for my K 50mm F1.2. That was in Feb of last year from KEH. Like someone above said make sure it is a 1.2 and not an F 1:2. The Pentax A 50mm 1.2 is a slightly better lens and because of the auto aperture it is going for about 500 USD.
IIRC I paid about 160USD for my Pentax A 35-105 about 3 months ago
I don't know about the A 135 F2.8 but my K 135 2.5 cost me about 200 USD and is worth every penny of it. It's my fav medium/close tele.
Here are some links to both the 50mm 1.2 and the 35-105 3.5
50mm F1.2
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3052-you-allowed-fall-love-lens.html

35-105 F3.5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/17309-lba-pentax-35-105-f3-5-macro.html

I can say that the K 50mm 1.2 is a gem of a lens! Some say it's very soft wide open, but I have not found it so.

NaCl(a treasure trove indeed!)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 01-16-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: fixed link and typos
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the insight on this list.

Getting the lot for $180. To protect me from bad karma, I'm insisting that he keep the 50mm 1.2... might sell it for him on ebay. It just isn't worth the money it's worth, to me, for me.
01-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
sounds like in order to avoid the bad Karma, you will be paying out thousands of dollars.

01-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

To protect me from bad karma, I'm insisting that he keep the 50mm 1.2... might sell it for him on ebay.
Worried about the bad karma, are you? Say...your name's not Earl, is it?
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Worried about the bad karma, are you? Say...your name's not Earl, is it?
Dunno if that show's made it over to Australia. he might be scratching his head wonder "what's my name being Earl got ta do with anything?"
01-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Dunno if that show's made it over to Australia. he might be scratching his head wonder "what's my name being Earl got ta do with anything?"
You're right. I hadn't thought about that. Sorry...it's a reference to a television show here in America where a guy goes around trying to undo his bad karma.
01-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You're right. I hadn't thought about that. Sorry...it's a reference to a television show here in America where a guy goes around trying to undo his bad karma.
It's here but, I don't watch TV - but I watched the series on DVD. Excellent! I liked the episode with the car from Smokey and the Bandit the best.

As a matter of fact, yeah, I do kind of align myself with some of what the show speaks about. The laws of the universe have a way of boomeranging on ya!

01-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks very much for the insight on this list.

Getting the lot for $180. To protect me from bad karma, I'm insisting that he keep the 50mm 1.2... might sell it for him on ebay. It just isn't worth the money it's worth, to me, for me.

Very cool of you to do that ! If you ever land in this Napa-Sonoma part of the world . Let me know , I'll show you at some local secrets . Provided that I am still living here .

Congrats on a nice "LBA attack " !
01-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Thats a hell of a lens Mike. I was looking at the ship pictures, they are some of the tightest shots I have seen with any lens.
How do you get so clear of shots with a manual lens? I have the SMC A 50mm 1.7 and I get about one clear shot out of 5 or 6, I even bought a catseye and still no go.
The longer the focal length the easier it is to get sharp focus. I have a hell of a time with my manual focus 20mm lens unless I'm inches away from my subject. Even 50mm can be tough. Also, as you probably already know, tighter apertures will buy you some fudging space as the depth of focus will be better. Add a little USM in post-processing and you're in like Flynn.

Also, use the focus indicator as a cheat when possible. Be sure you're using the green hexagon at the bottom of the screen and not the red square (a common error). All the red square indicates is which auto-focus point the camera is using for its calculations. It comes on even when the green hexagon does not and is a very false friend. I normally have the red square focus point indicator turned off, since it is nothing but a distracting annoyance for the way I shoot.

It may also help that I shoot manual focus 99.99% of the time and have shot probably about 15,000 photos that way just in the last year. Practice, practice, practice.
01-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Also, use the focus indicator as a cheat when possible. Be sure you're using the green hexagon at the bottom of the screen and not the red square (a common error).
dang! that's awesome advice. i've always used the red dot and couldn't understand why some were good and some were off. thanks for posting that tip!
01-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

One more thing I forgot to add for our Florida sun-kissed friend:

Make sure your diopter is adjusted correctly. The AF system doesn't give a hang if the diopter is off, since the computer doing those calculations is inside the camera. With manual focus the computer doing the calculations (YOU!) is outside the camera, so it is crucial that you have the diopter adjusted for your eyeball.

Point the camera at the sky or a blank wall and make sure the lines on the focus screen are in focus (not the image....the lines). Slide the little diopter doohickey atop the viewfinder window until they're crisp.
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #28
TDN
Forum Member

Wow, I gotta hand it to you, that is a very nice display of integrity there 123K10D!

I would have taken the lot with the 1.2 for the price you mentioned, and run home to pinch myself to see it were true
...would have never been able to resist the temptation...

props to you sir, if heaven's a diner you just reserved a table!

Tom
01-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TDN Quote
Wow, I gotta hand it to you, that is a very nice display of integrity there 123K10D!

I would have taken the lot with the 1.2 for the price you mentioned, and run home to pinch myself to see it were true
...would have never been able to resist the temptation...

props to you sir, if heaven's a diner you just reserved a table!

Tom

no you wouldn't have. you'd have done the right thing.
synchronicity: i met this gentleman when i fixed his computer, to repay him for building a set of drawers for my mother, that i was too busy to put together.

then as i left his house, he said his wife used to be into photography, i asked 'what did she shoot", and he said 'Pentax' - so i shook his hand and said she had great taste! then he said he still had her camera gear... "might i have a look?", i inquired - 'natch.

in the end, i only took the two lenses. the SMC-A 135 F2.8 and the SMC-A 50 1.7.
i wouldn't get use out of the others... 'travel light, travel far' is a great way to live.
plus, the 35-105 was just too much work, manual focus zooms for faster moving subjects are a wee bit tricky.

so, i bought him a printer as trade, because he wouldn't take cash... weird but makes a funny sort of sense. plus, he's got plenty of money, but he didn't have a printer

they worked a treat on a paying gig on sunday, with the wussiest dog i've ever shot... but cute.

Last edited by 123K10D; 04-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.