Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
old sears lens ????'s

i have an older sears m42 200mm f/3.5 lens all i know about it is that it was made in japan and that it looks brand new not even used much if at all no dings or scratches.
Now what i wanted to know is did sears make this lens or is it rebranded or what? What year was it made? if this lens is worth hanging on to or should i try to sell it because i have a tamaron 70-300mm lens and rarely use it and i have had it for about 6 months? thanks

04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Have you searched for it in the lens DB? Sears lenses were also sold under a variety of other brands, and generally they're nothing special.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats a good idea thanks adam
04-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a Japanese 200 3.5 out there that was sold under many brands, and is actually a very good lens. I've got a copy with the Photax brand, and I've seen the 100% identical lens with Paragon and one other name I can't remember. My feeling is that it's a Tokina made lens.
If Sears used the same supplier, then it's a good lens, sharp to the edges and very little CA when pushed to it's limits, which is easy to process out anyway.

I've also got a Takumar f4, Soligor f4.5 and a Vivitar 3.5 in 200mm - and this Paragon is my lens of choice. Don't discount branded lenses, some are better than they might seem.

04-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
did sears make this lens or is it rebranded or what?
I don't think Sears made anything that bore their name, including the camera stuff. Their SLR cameras and lenses were reportedly made by Ricoh. You might have a decent lens there. Only way to know for sure is to shoot with it & find out. :-)
04-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you searched for it in the lens DB? Sears lenses were also sold under a variety of other brands, and generally they're nothing special.
Hmmm...interesting comment. Yes, lenses branded Sears were made by a number of different makers over the years, but if it is an M42 prime from the 60s or 70s, it is likely a rebranded Ricoh (Rikenon made by Tomioka) or Mamiya/Sekor (made by Mamiya) and pretty respectable glass.

As the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Give the lens a try. You might like it!

Steve
04-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Their SLR cameras and lenses were reportedly made by Ricoh
Sears sourced cameras through many different makers over the years and sold them under the Tower and Sears names. Yashica, Mamiya, Ricoh, Olympus, Nicca, Braun, and Asahi all made cameras for them over the years.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sears

Steve

(Yes...Asahi, as in Asahi Optical Company, as in Pentax...)
04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is pretty awsome ill hang on to this one and use it to see what it can do thanks everyone for your responses

05-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, keep it. I have yet to run into a bad Sears-badged prime. My Sears lenses were made by Ricoh, Tokina, Tomioka, Samyang that I know of; as mentioned, Sears sourced their products from various leading makers. Focal (K-Mart) used many of the same sources. Sears is becoming known as a good brand -- prices are rising!
05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
awsome ill take some shoots with it and post them towmarow to see how good this lens is see i have 2 off-brand m42 addapter and one lets you focus to infinity and the othe does not but the one that dose alow infinit focus is missing the littel metal tab that locks it in place so when i focus it turns the lens out of the mount so im leaning to use the other i dont think ill need infinit focus anyway so like i said ill post some shoots here towmorow