Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Angela,

Hi, first of all I would like to say that you have a beautiful name(same name as my special friend). Anyway back to the topic. IMHO you can use almost any lens for portraiture, but it will depend on how you want to approach the situation or how you would like to approach a "shot" some people uses 50mm "prime lens" and get great results, some people (Mostly pros) uses longer focal length lenses like the 85mm or the 70mm primes. They prefer primes lenses because it is said to be much more sharper than zoom lenses(And I agree)

I'm not a pro and to be honest I cannot spend so much money on lens right now because photography to me is a hobby and not my job. I've been reading most of the advise that people are giving you, like getting a DA70 or FA77 or even the 85's those are expensive pieces of glass. So I'm going to ask you this? What are your current lens line-up right now? are you willing to spend $500 on just one piece of glass with one focal length? I know you prefer an AF lens.

Here are my suggestions
I would just get a Zoom lens for now and find what my favorite focal length is. I know you have the 18-55 right now so you're good on the wide end(18mm-24mm) so I would suggest the you get the Tamron 28 - 75 f2.8 those are said to be sharp for a zoom lens and having a constant aperture of 2.8 would be a great plus(you can get those creamy blurred background with f2.8), also it's much more versatile than just having one focal length .(I myself is getting this lens this week). Also try getting a manual lens like the A 50 1.7 they're really small and really sharp(They are also very cheap! I'm actuall selling one right now hehe), they also have an aperture ring so you don't have to worry about meetering so much and just focus on composition and focusing since the k5 is your first DSLR. You'll never know, you might fall inlove with manual lenses like me too. Almost all of my lenses are manual primes.

P.S. My main portrait lens is the M50 1.7 (got it for 50 bucks, it's all manual ) and the M85 f2, also all manual.

Remeber just have fun shooting (:

05-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as secondhand goes, I've bought a few lenses in the past few years 2nd hand, Sigma 400/5.6, DA16-50, DA50-135, DFA50 macro, DFA100 macro, as well as a few Teleconverters the only one that is a little not right is the DFA100 marco, when I go to manual Focus the focus ring slips a little, but It works purfectly fine in AF using the collar to quickshift the focus, but I also paid only 364.00 for it and then the seller gave me back 75.00 because of the faultly ring. All the others are purfect, and I paid about half the new price or less for each.
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
They prefer primes lenses because it is said to be much more sharper than zoom lenses(And I agree)
First time i hear anyone say you need a sharp lens to do portrait, even special soft lenses are sometimes preferred.
05-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
First time i hear anyone say you need a sharp lens to do portrait, even special soft lenses are sometimes preferred.
you can't get that dreamy 70's portrait look without a soft 85 (or an 85 with a filter smeared with vaseline) - and a FF or film camera of course :

05-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Corner to corner sharpness isn't important in portrait lenses but you definitely still want the center to be sharp, where the eyes usually are. It's easy to soften up the skin in digital so there is no need for specialty soft lenses.

That's why all the portrait lenses like the 85mms from Nikon, Canon and Sigma (and the DA* 55mm) are very sharp in the center and less so on the borders.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 05-03-2012 at 08:40 AM.
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Corner to corner sharpness isn't important in portrait lenses but you definitely still want the center to be sharp, where the eyes usually are. It's easy to soften up the skin in digital so there is no need for specialty soft lenses.

That's why all the portrait lenses like the 85mms from Nikon, Canon and Sigma (and the DA* 55mm) are very sharp in the center and less so on the borders.
Has to do with lens design this more then anything else.
The DA*55 is pretty sharp actually and also most 85mm across the frame, problem is that most of these fast lenses have a slightly curved DOF so when shooting a flat test chart with very thin dof these lenses have wide open they simply pull the corners out of focus.