Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trouble brewing: I like my kit!

No more sure-fire way to destabilize things than complacency.. but it's better than that.
I really like the lenses I own (and the K-5 goes w/o saying ) and I enjoy using them!

Are there things I want? Certainly - a wider lens of some sort would be nice. My heart says 15mm, either DA or Sigma fisheye; my budget says Samyang (and not soon). I'm just not into fast glass, thank goodness, so big teles and 82mm filters are not in my future. Going to 300mm is just fine, though a WR tele would be a very good thing. And I'm watching with great interest for more about the upcoming DA high-mag zoom, which could be WR or XS or who knows. That would really make a mess of things, but I'm not immune to such things and have plenty of practice. :evil:

So what's right about my lenses?
  • The 18-55WR has many great things going for it. Convenience is a big one, which covers WR, size and weight - all three are important factors to a confessed western Oregon weight weenie. Add in 52mm filters which I can use on several other lenses. Talent is another, which is covered by its close-focus skills and quite decent optical quality (I've owned two and both gave similar results). Really, the only places for me that it can be beat is in distortions and speed. I tried several other kit-replacing lenses and they were quite good in their own ways, most notably the DA16-45 and 18-135WR. Only the last had the WR badge, and none outperformed the 18-55 by a sufficient margin to win out. I don't doubt the 16-50 would be most excellent, but for the above reasons plus its great $value the 18-55 will be sticking around.
  • The 55-300 has been in my kit several times in DA and DAL formats, and barring disastrous financial difficulty it's here to stay this time. Very few complaints from any owners on this lens, and I agree. Image quality per gram are excellent for this one too.
  • My final piece arrived recently, the Sigma 50 macro - this is the fifty I had been seeking and I'm really enjoying it. It's a marvel up close (yes, really close!) but also for more typical shots, and another easy-to-carry lens. No point in leaving half my kit at home, especially not with my current budget!
On the manual front, I found a gem of a 28mm and an excellent 70-150 zoom. No doubt I would prefer a wider prime (and a DA21), and something in the 40-55mm range to fill the gap. I do have an all-manual 50/2, but since I use the Sigma 50 in manual focus most of the time I feel that gap is filled best with the macro. These three are not just good lenses but great fun to use; each has its own cachet and makes taking pictures a relaxing hobby that's less centered on technology (which the K-5 applies seamlessly). A longer manual tele is a nice idea but not practical for a 55-300 owner. When I want to enjoy the thrill of the imaging hunt I feel that 28, 50 and 70-150 meets my needs. Maybe some day I will blow a few bucks on a 400-500mm mirror lens, but I feel no compulsion to do so.

So that's it. When the irresistible and inevitable occurs, you'll hear me in the distance, crying for both the pain and pleasure that LBA brings out in me.
Hope this strikes a chord with many of you, and you can step back from the marketing drama and smile, knowing that this really is supposed to be fun! :ugh:

p.s. I love how : ugh : brings out the in-love smile .. kinda hope that never changes, it feels right in a twisted sort of way!

04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds a lot like my carry kit. I'll be getting the 18-55 WR as soon as my bank account recovers from buying the K-5. The DAL 55-300 is my favorite lens, followed closely by the Sigma A 50 macro (The manual focus version). I do use three other lenses on a regular basis. The A28/2.8, the A50/1.4, and the F35-135/3.5-4.5.
04-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't know what your post is really about. but if your happy with your lens just keep blasting away!
04-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Woot Woot!

04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Don't know what your post is really about. but if your happy with your lens just keep blasting away!
You make a good point - if I like 'em so much what am I doing sitting at a computer?!?
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
You make a good point - if I like 'em so much what am I doing sitting at a computer?!?
Could have something to do with the monsoon conditions just outside your window. Seals or not, it has just simply been too nasty for much shooting lately!

Steve
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
True - I had the 18-55wr on today. By the time I was coming home things had improved, so the 50mac swapped in.
In the 'no surprise' dept, I've put a comparison of closest-focus 18-55 v. same-scale Sigma at my 'blog!
05-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I feel the same as OP.

sunny kit: 31, 43, 77

Hiking kit:18-135, 100wr

Rainy kit:18-135 100wr

Min weight kit: 40; 18-135mm

05-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to a recent clearout and investing in a rather spiffing Hadley Pro, I can now carry my entire kit everywhere:

- K-5
- 18-55mm WR (for emergencies)
- 35mm Ltd macro (for just about anything)
- 70mm Ltd (for a bit more reach and a bit more speed)
- 55-300mm (for a lot more reach)

Still got room for one more. Hankering after a 100mm WR macro. At some point I might try and squeeze in a 21mm. And then I'll be done.

Like the OP, I'm a very happy camper.