Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
When using the FA31 just get closer, I think it's that simple. I think you are just seeing the ability for longer lenses to create more subject isolation, however the FA31 allows for more intimate photos being a wider focal length.
+1

05-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
+1
No pixie dust in that pic, I am afraid (to my eyes).
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I'm not surprised - I never saw any pixie dust in any pictures - I have no idea what it is supposed to be - I simply posted this to show that subject isolation is achievable with the FA 31, as twitch had pointed out.
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Everyone's different, and PD is obviously hype/subjective. But when I hear the words, I think of a combination of color, local contrast, and dimensionality which make the image nearly jump off my screen, much like what I see routinely with my Zeiss lenses. And to my eyes, that photo is dripping with it.

05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see the most striking differences between the FA Ltd lenses and others in their respective focal lengths coming from portraiture. The FA Limited club features a lot of such examples.
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the differences in the FA limiteds have more to do with differences in focal length than with differences in individual rendering. That said, I prefer the DA *55 to the FA 43 -- probably more due to a little longer focal length. The FA 31 is very nice, but obviously produces very different results than, say, the FA 77 will produce.
05-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I have all three and have come to using the 43 and 77 along with the 15. Very nice trio. I find very little use for my 21 and 31. YMMV.
If I want to use a single prime lens for a day of shooting, I will usually choose the FA31. For a multiple prime lens day, I often choose the same ones as you--DA15, FA43 and FA77, although the 43 would get the most use, by far. I consider myself very fortunate to have the luxury of such fine glass.

Rob
05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the differences in the FA limiteds have more to do with differences in focal length than with differences in individual rendering.
I don't think that is true. They all have different point spread functions, the 77mm and 31mm being closer to each other than the 43mm.

Just look at OOF highlights and you'll notice that the 43mm can feature quite a harsh outer ring with certain shooting parameters, suggesting over-corrected spherical aberration. This results in harsh bokeh. I guess this is why some call the 43mm "temperamental".

I've never seen such harsh bokeh from either the 77mm nor the 31mm, so I'd say that clearly it is not just the focal length that differs between the three amigos.

05-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I have all three and have come to using the 43 and 77 along with the 15. Very nice trio........
I'm about to have the same trio.
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't think that is true. They all have different point spread functions, the 77mm and 31mm being closer to each other than the 43mm.

Just look at OOF highlights and you'll notice that the 43mm can feature quite a harsh outer ring with certain shooting parameters, suggesting over-corrected spherical aberration. This results in harsh bokeh. I guess this is why some call the 43mm "temperamental".

I've never seen such harsh bokeh from either the 77mm nor the 31mm, so I'd say that clearly it is not just the focal length that differs between the three amigos.
The FA43 can exhibit a somewhat nervous bokeh with a busy background at f1.9. Stopped down to f2.8, it is buttery smooth, and the transition from sharp to unsharp is truly lovely. If this is what temperamental is, then give me a big dose of it. Below is a sample taken at f2.8 with a K-7.

Rob
Attached Images

05-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Below is a sample taken at f2.8 with a K-7.
f/2.8 is a great f-stop on APS-C. It blurs the background just enough to create isolation, but not to the point where you cannot recognize the surroundings. And fast lenses are usually at their best in all respects at that setting.
05-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The FA43 can exhibit a somewhat nervous bokeh with a busy background at f1.9. Stopped down to f2.8, it is buttery smooth, and the transition from sharp to unsharp is truly lovely. If this is what temperamental is, then give me a big dose of it. Below is a sample taken at f2.8 with a K-7.

Rob
Problem with the FA43 stopped down at f/2.8 is if there is any highlights, they get rendered as very ugly octagons, dues to its 8 blade aperture.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 05-03-2012 at 01:13 AM.
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If you had to sell either the FA35 or FA31, which would it be, discounting price?
If prices wasn't the factor, FA31 wouldn't be called premium, but yes I will keep FA31 in that case just because it's limited, a bit wider and has better build. Optically, it's fantastic but only as fantastic as FA35.
05-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Problem with the FA43 stopped down at f/2.8 is if there is any highlights, they get rendered as very ugly octagons, dues to its 8 blade aperture.
This is probably why my own favourite people shots with this lens are f/2.4 or below, mainly 2.4, unless it's a frame filling portrait, of course.

Back to the trio, I'm similar to Ash, in that my favourite is probably based on the last best shot I took with either of them.
05-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
In the photo that I posted above, I do not see any such effect in the highlights on the shirt or the rug. Granted, they are not sparkly bright lights, but they still look very smooth. I have used the FA43 a great deal over the past year, and I have not encountered any unpleasant bokeh at f2.8 and above, including in pictures of running water. Even at f1.9, the background is usually quite acceptable, unless it is very busy.

Rob