Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
why no 28/1.4?

This is not aimed at Pentax only but in general.

I have been looking for fast 28 to use on Canon and one thing that struck me is that while there are 24s and 35s manufactured as fast as f1.4 (for SLR mounts) the fastest 28 I could find was f1.8 (Canon or Sigma). Is there a reason why they aren't faster?
Size? - doubt it as 24/1.4 will surely be bigger than 28/1.4
FOV? - 28 would be ideal normal for APSC and fast wide would come handy to FF users (IMO)

So why? Any ideas?

05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Dont know about Canon and Sigma but Nikon make a auto-focus 28mm f/1.4D, costs a bit though.
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,360
I have used canon fd 24/1.4, nikkor ais 35/1.4, but true no 28/1.4 than the new nikkor. Among the best 28mm there are pentax K28/2 (of course), Konica AR 28/1.8 UC (close focus and IQ), pentax A-28/2 (smallest size). nikkor ais 35/1.4 is the most difficult to use due to short focus throw.
05-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,073
Hi axl,
I am messing around with a 9~27mm f/2.0 here
Why do you need a 28 mm 1:1.4 ?

05-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,906
to get something equivalent to 43/1.8 ltd on film, on digital ?
05-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 88
axl, I have started using the sigma 30/1.4. It doesn't scream pixi dust to me, but the specs was the only solution to my need near 28/1.4, and works well for the wide open factor.
T
05-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,329
I would also love a fast 28mm. With useful DoF scales and maybe even an aperture ring!
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
I would assume that as you get wider, making fast lenses is increasingly difficult - they certainly get increasingly larger and more expensive when they do exist. I also assume registration distance affects this - a camera with a shorter registration distance (like a Leica rangefinder or a micro 4/3 digital) could allow fast wide angles to be built somewhat more easily. Although there tend to be IQ issues especially in the corners with many such designs: the type of designs needed to make wide angle lenses for longer registation distances actually often roduce better IQ.

The real question is, why would need an "equivalent" of 43/1.9 on film? Sure even a 28/2.8 on APS-C digital is alrady capable of faster shutter speeds for a given noise level than the 43/1.9 on film. And in cases where one is specifically going for shallow DOF effects, I personally find that focal length tends to not be quite so important a consideration, because we are usually talking about carefully posed "art" shots where I can construct a scene that will work well at a longer focal length just as easily. True, not always the case, and for those who really rely on being able to shoot extremely shallow DOF at a large variety of different focal lengths, APS-C DSLR's are at a distinct disadvantage compared to FF or to cameras with shorter registration distances.

05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
to get something equivalent to 43/1.8 ltd on film, on digital ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I would assume that as you get wider, making fast lenses is increasingly difficult - they certainly get increasingly larger and more expensive when they do exist. I also assume registration distance affects this - a camera with a shorter registration distance (like a Leica rangefinder or a micro 4/3 digital) could allow fast wide angles to be built somewhat more easily. Although there tend to be IQ issues especially in the corners with many such designs: the type of designs needed to make wide angle lenses for longer registation distances actually often roduce better IQ.

The real question is, why would need an "equivalent" of 43/1.9 on film? Sure even a 28/2.8 on APS-C digital is alrady capable of faster shutter speeds for a given noise level than the 43/1.9 on film. And in cases where one is specifically going for shallow DOF effects, I personally find that focal length tends to not be quite so important a consideration, because we are usually talking about carefully posed "art" shots where I can construct a scene that will work well at a longer focal length just as easily. True, not always the case, and for those who really rely on being able to shoot extremely shallow DOF at a large variety of different focal lengths, APS-C DSLR's are at a distinct disadvantage compared to FF or to cameras with shorter registration distances.
I'm not really interested in replicating 43/1.9 on APSC. I'd love to have fast 28 for my EOS 1D MkIII. On APSH sensor (1.3x crop) 28mm gives you the FOV of 35mm (or at least as close as one can get) and those who know me from my Pentax hey day, know that I'm sucker for that FOV (for those who don't know me, I used to have FA*24/2 for K mount APSC and loved it...) For now it looks like I'm going to have to settle for 28/1.8
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Dont know about Canon and Sigma but Nikon make a auto-focus 28mm f/1.4D, costs a bit though.
I don't think they still make it Simon, hence the new 28/1.8G AF-S

my 2p
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think they still make it Simon, hence the new 28/1.8G AF-S

my 2p
Yeah its out of production.
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Voe
Veteran Member
Voe's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 708
How I see it is that with lens design it's hard or close to impossible to fulfil the bellow 3 requirements:
1. Great IQ at f/1.4.
2. Compact size.
3. Affordable price.

You may have two at a time but not all three at the same time.

So far only Leica have managed to fulfil requirements 1 and 2. (Leica M 21mm, 24mm and 35mm Summilux lenses)
Also in a way the Fujifilm lens 35mm f/1.4 for X-pro1 camera managed to fulfil 1, 2 and 3, but the lens is not a full frame as with Leica M.

During my love affair with Leica M, I used to shoot with Leica M9 and a 35mm Summilux ASPH before switching back to Pentax and I'm still looking of a way to come close the IQ, FoV and DoF on a Pentax system. So I feel the same way as the OP.
Would love to have a good 28mm f/1.4 lens on Pentax crop DSLR or a 35mm f/1.4 on a full frame Pentax DSLR one sunny day.
05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,247
The Sigma EX 30/1.4 would be pretty close to what you want.
05-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,775
There is a Sigma 28/1.8.
Big lens.


Otherwise, I guess the lens gods disapprove of it.
(ie. probably against the laws of physics to design a reasonable one factoring cost/size/weight/etc)
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
I have a Bell & Howell Filmovara 16-25/1.2, a very very fast zoom, and it only cost me ONE BUCK! Alas, it's for 8mm cine, not mini-format (APS and FF) SLRs. I also have a Mati TV_Synchronex 25/1.4 (US$4 shipped) -- same problem, it's for CCTV. Some short-fast-cheap lenses work somewhat on NEX or other short-register cams, but not on dSLRs. I may try to put a C-mount on an old fixed-lens P&S just so I can use such lenses. But I'm a perv. Apparently lensmakers just don't think they can profitably make 28/1.4s.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top