Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why no 28/1.4?

This is not aimed at Pentax only but in general.

I have been looking for fast 28 to use on Canon and one thing that struck me is that while there are 24s and 35s manufactured as fast as f1.4 (for SLR mounts) the fastest 28 I could find was f1.8 (Canon or Sigma). Is there a reason why they aren't faster?
Size? - doubt it as 24/1.4 will surely be bigger than 28/1.4
FOV? - 28 would be ideal normal for APSC and fast wide would come handy to FF users (IMO)

So why? Any ideas?

05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dont know about Canon and Sigma but Nikon make a auto-focus 28mm f/1.4D, costs a bit though.
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have used canon fd 24/1.4, nikkor ais 35/1.4, but true no 28/1.4 than the new nikkor. Among the best 28mm there are pentax K28/2 (of course), Konica AR 28/1.8 UC (close focus and IQ), pentax A-28/2 (smallest size). nikkor ais 35/1.4 is the most difficult to use due to short focus throw.
05-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi axl,
I am messing around with a 9~27mm f/2.0 here
Why do you need a 28 mm 1:1.4 ?

05-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to get something equivalent to 43/1.8 ltd on film, on digital ?
05-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
axl, I have started using the sigma 30/1.4. It doesn't scream pixi dust to me, but the specs was the only solution to my need near 28/1.4, and works well for the wide open factor.
T
05-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would also love a fast 28mm. With useful DoF scales and maybe even an aperture ring!

05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would assume that as you get wider, making fast lenses is increasingly difficult - they certainly get increasingly larger and more expensive when they do exist. I also assume registration distance affects this - a camera with a shorter registration distance (like a Leica rangefinder or a micro 4/3 digital) could allow fast wide angles to be built somewhat more easily. Although there tend to be IQ issues especially in the corners with many such designs: the type of designs needed to make wide angle lenses for longer registation distances actually often roduce better IQ.

The real question is, why would need an "equivalent" of 43/1.9 on film? Sure even a 28/2.8 on APS-C digital is alrady capable of faster shutter speeds for a given noise level than the 43/1.9 on film. And in cases where one is specifically going for shallow DOF effects, I personally find that focal length tends to not be quite so important a consideration, because we are usually talking about carefully posed "art" shots where I can construct a scene that will work well at a longer focal length just as easily. True, not always the case, and for those who really rely on being able to shoot extremely shallow DOF at a large variety of different focal lengths, APS-C DSLR's are at a distinct disadvantage compared to FF or to cameras with shorter registration distances.
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
to get something equivalent to 43/1.8 ltd on film, on digital ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I would assume that as you get wider, making fast lenses is increasingly difficult - they certainly get increasingly larger and more expensive when they do exist. I also assume registration distance affects this - a camera with a shorter registration distance (like a Leica rangefinder or a micro 4/3 digital) could allow fast wide angles to be built somewhat more easily. Although there tend to be IQ issues especially in the corners with many such designs: the type of designs needed to make wide angle lenses for longer registation distances actually often roduce better IQ.

The real question is, why would need an "equivalent" of 43/1.9 on film? Sure even a 28/2.8 on APS-C digital is alrady capable of faster shutter speeds for a given noise level than the 43/1.9 on film. And in cases where one is specifically going for shallow DOF effects, I personally find that focal length tends to not be quite so important a consideration, because we are usually talking about carefully posed "art" shots where I can construct a scene that will work well at a longer focal length just as easily. True, not always the case, and for those who really rely on being able to shoot extremely shallow DOF at a large variety of different focal lengths, APS-C DSLR's are at a distinct disadvantage compared to FF or to cameras with shorter registration distances.
I'm not really interested in replicating 43/1.9 on APSC. I'd love to have fast 28 for my EOS 1D MkIII. On APSH sensor (1.3x crop) 28mm gives you the FOV of 35mm (or at least as close as one can get) and those who know me from my Pentax hey day, know that I'm sucker for that FOV (for those who don't know me, I used to have FA*24/2 for K mount APSC and loved it...) For now it looks like I'm going to have to settle for 28/1.8
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Dont know about Canon and Sigma but Nikon make a auto-focus 28mm f/1.4D, costs a bit though.
I don't think they still make it Simon, hence the new 28/1.8G AF-S

my 2p
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think they still make it Simon, hence the new 28/1.8G AF-S

my 2p
Yeah its out of production.
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Voe
Veteran Member

How I see it is that with lens design it's hard or close to impossible to fulfil the bellow 3 requirements:
1. Great IQ at f/1.4.
2. Compact size.
3. Affordable price.

You may have two at a time but not all three at the same time.

So far only Leica have managed to fulfil requirements 1 and 2. (Leica M 21mm, 24mm and 35mm Summilux lenses)
Also in a way the Fujifilm lens 35mm f/1.4 for X-pro1 camera managed to fulfil 1, 2 and 3, but the lens is not a full frame as with Leica M.

During my love affair with Leica M, I used to shoot with Leica M9 and a 35mm Summilux ASPH before switching back to Pentax and I'm still looking of a way to come close the IQ, FoV and DoF on a Pentax system. So I feel the same way as the OP.
Would love to have a good 28mm f/1.4 lens on Pentax crop DSLR or a 35mm f/1.4 on a full frame Pentax DSLR one sunny day.
05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma EX 30/1.4 would be pretty close to what you want.
05-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

There is a Sigma 28/1.8.
Big lens.

Otherwise, I guess the lens gods disapprove of it.
(ie. probably against the laws of physics to design a reasonable one factoring cost/size/weight/etc)
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a Bell & Howell Filmovara 16-25/1.2, a very very fast zoom, and it only cost me ONE BUCK! Alas, it's for 8mm cine, not mini-format (APS and FF) SLRs. I also have a Mati TV_Synchronex 25/1.4 (US$4 shipped) -- same problem, it's for CCTV. Some short-fast-cheap lenses work somewhat on NEX or other short-register cams, but not on dSLRs. I may try to put a C-mount on an old fixed-lens P&S just so I can use such lenses. But I'm a perv. Apparently lensmakers just don't think they can profitably make 28/1.4s.