Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

water splashed on my non WR lens

to day at the beach my non WR lens (43mm ltd ) got a heavy dose of a water splash while i was shooting. well i cleaned it and let it dry.after i came home i shot with it again and everything was working alright. my problem is, is there things i should be concerned with on the long run (such as molds fungus or anything similar by small water droplets escaping inside the lens and/or any electronic faults.)

thankz

05-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Put it inside a ziplock bag with some silica packs to make sure all the moist is gone. if it is working fine it should not be a problem
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The above answer is good. Follow that. Avoid letting your lens sit in warm and humid areas for some time - mold will only grow in those conditions (mostly the humid part), so after drying the lens, you want to keep it in a dry atmosphere for a while to make sure nothing does grow.
05-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can also store it in an enclosed space with a bowl of rice which works well as a desiccant if you don't have sufficient silca bags (which need to be replaced or dried out regularly)

05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

You mentioned this was at the beach, so I would assume you mean sea water, and not fresh water as from a lake. Sea water has a lot of salt. If any of this got inside, it will not just evaporate on its own. If the salt got on any electronic components, it will eventually corrode them. Salt is hydroscopic, and will continue to pull moisture from the air. Putting the lens in a sealed bag with silica gel or rice will only work temporarily, and as soon as you subject the lens to summer humidity it will start to corrode again.

So, if you really did get a "healthy dose" of salt water that really got inside the lens, then I would recommend you have the lens professionally cleaned. I don't have any experience in this area, and don't know what repair facilities actually do, but the goal is to have the lens disassembled to remove the salt residue.

I had a clumsy waitress spill a whole tray of soda pop on my unsealed cell phone. First thing I did was remove the battery, then I soaked the whole phone in a glass of water, to dilute all of the sugary syrup from inside. Then I put it in front of a fan for 5 days. The phone still works great today. Just putting it in front of the fan without washing off the internal components would not have worked. Circuit boards do fine in water, provided they are not powered on, and provided that you remove the water before you do apply power.

If it were me and I actually saw that water got inside my lens, or if the focus ring started turning with a gritty feeling from salt residue, then I might just go ahead and dunk the whole lens in water to try to wash out all of the salt and halt the damage. Then send it in for disassembly, drying, and lubrication. The service facilities must see this all the time. YMMV. Good luck, and sorry this happened to your Ltd.
05-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you see any water in the lens? Any condensation on the glass?
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I had a clumsy waitress spill a whole tray of soda pop on my unsealed cell phone. First thing I did was remove the battery, then I soaked the whole phone in a glass of water, to dilute all of the sugary syrup from inside. Then I put it in front of a fan for 5 days. The phone still works great today. Just putting it in front of the fan without washing off the internal components would not have worked. Circuit boards do fine in water, provided they are not powered on, and provided that you remove the water before you do apply power.
On the other hand, my daughter put her iPod Touch in the washing machine and it got a 5 minute soak in detergent-laden water before she could get it open and out.

Three days later after daily replenishments of rice in a sealed container it started to work - partially. One week later all the buttons worked and the screen was 90% clear. Three weeks later the iPod was 100% working in every respect. Electronics can be more resistant to dunking than you might expect.

But a lens, well that could well be a different kettle of fish...
05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
On the other hand, my daughter put her iPod Touch in the washing machine and it got a 5 minute soak in detergent-laden water before she could get it open and out.

Three days later after daily replenishments of rice in a sealed container it started to work - partially. One week later all the buttons worked and the screen was 90% clear. Three weeks later the iPod was 100% working in every respect. Electronics can be more resistant to dunking than you might expect.

But a lens, well that could well be a different kettle of fish...

He he, glad that worked out.

I agree, electronics can be very durable, after all, at some point in time they are usually washed off in the manufacturing process. There is nothing on a circuit board that is usually susceptable to water, by itself.

There is something out there on the web about some guys who submerged a whole computer motherboard in a tank of vegetable oil, and ran it that way. IIRC, the idea was that oil could do a better job of conducting and dissapating heat than air, is nonconductive, and quieter than a bunch of fans.

But salt is a different story. Emmersing some energized electronics in that could really kill it. If not now, it might very well happen later.

05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

is it dripping water from the focus ring, etc?? gritty action when turning the ring? you may be just fine, especially with some dessication.

my lenses get general ocean splashes once in awhile and one seeped water for a day or so after but recovered just fine without sending it away for a cleaning. the screws on my grip have rusted and i found salt crystals inside it, but nothing bad with the lenses yet.
05-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Can you see any water in the lens? Any condensation on the glass?
no no water inside the lens that i can see

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
is it dripping water from the focus ring, etc?? gritty action when turning the ring?
again no dripping and stuff. i was foolish and worried that with out thinking i even tried it out after i cam home and it worked ok. So i guess the electronics are not effected . will try the rice bowl technique for now as i dont have a proper desiccator at the moment
05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
and for the rice bowl technique how long must i keep the lens there. and should i remove the caps when putting it there
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
You mentioned this was at the beach, so I would assume you mean sea water, and not fresh water as from a lake. Sea water has a lot of salt. If any of this got inside, it will not just evaporate on its own. If the salt got on any electronic components, it will eventually corrode them. Salt is hydroscopic, and will continue to pull moisture from the air. Putting the lens in a sealed bag with silica gel or rice will only work temporarily, and as soon as you subject the lens to summer humidity it will start to corrode again.

So, if you really did get a "healthy dose" of salt water that really got inside the lens, then I would recommend you have the lens professionally cleaned. I don't have any experience in this area, and don't know what repair facilities actually do, but the goal is to have the lens disassembled to remove the salt residue.

If it were me and I actually saw that water got inside my lens, or if the focus ring started turning with a gritty feeling from salt residue, then I might just go ahead and dunk the whole lens in water to try to wash out all of the salt and halt the damage. Then send it in for disassembly, drying, and lubrication. The service facilities must see this all the time. YMMV. Good luck, and sorry this happened to your Ltd.
Yes,salt will eventually destroy the electronics if you don't get attended to ASAP.What ever you do,don't let the lense sit there for months on deciding what to doLlike Tanzer said,take it to a professional repairer and get it cleaned.