Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,279
QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
As for your actual question, I have no idea -- my only limited is DA15.
Sorry for contributing to the topicslide, but in my opinion the 43mm Ltd is the best of the FA Limiteds for digital. It's focal length is a bit longer than the intended "perfect normal" on APS-C, but it fits in a nice slot between a "walk around" and "special occasion" (portrait) lens, while being excellent at both. It also comes without the size (and hood) of the 31 or the purple fringies of the 77. That makes it even more comfortable to just point at things and see what it shows you.

It's also a great "gateway drug" for the inevitable collection of all the Limiteds. :evil:

05-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Derry
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 776
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sorry for contributing to the topicslide, but in my opinion the 43mm Ltd is the best of the FA Limiteds for digital. It's focal length is a bit longer than the intended "perfect normal" on APS-C, but it fits in a nice slot between a "walk around" and "special occasion" (portrait) lens, while being excellent at both. It also comes without the size (and hood) of the 31 or the purple fringies of the 77. That makes it even more comfortable to just point at things and see what it shows you.

It's also a great "gateway drug" for the inevitable collection of all the Limiteds. :evil:
Jeekers an actual real life genuine helpful answer to my gibberishly posed question.. i think i must be tripping on pixie dust!

Thanks for that Panoguy and that puts me closer to going that road.. cheers!
05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Uh, oh, this question was bound to elicit exactly the sort of response that it has, so I will try to be more helpful to the OP. "Pixie dust" is difficult to quantify, because it is impossible to define. Generally speaking, it refers to the unique rendering qualities that are often ascribed to the FA Limited lenses. As an owner of all three lenses in the series, I am a believer. Different users have their own personal favorites, but mine is the FA43. I especially love using it for environmental and upper body portraits. If the focal length suits your shooting style, then I highly recommend that you get it. If you don't like the lens for whatever reason, you should be able to sell it for very close to what you paid. It's a no risk purchase. But you will love it!

Rob
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Not a problem for my DA*55, that has alot of the pixie dust and its sealed up tighly!



lol!
Nope, I'm sorry, but pixie dust is only to be found in the FA Limiteds. The DA*55 has elf dandruff.

Rob

05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,770
All the FA ltds have it, though I'd say the one on the 43ltd is different from the 77 and 31.
The below are my personal opinion from my use of these 3 lenses.
Probably mostly made up in my deluded mind


The 31ltd seems special, that extra smooth bokeh and wide FOV seems to give the subject isolation 'pop' that imo is better than say a FA35/2 even when both are shot at about the same f-stop and subject distance (eg. f2-2.5)

77ltd to me is more of a blend of smooth bokeh, drawing, contrast , sharpness and longish focal length that makes the subject 'pop'

43ltd is different from the two. It seems much sharper from wide open and stopped down and its 'pop'/magic seems to originate more from this than smooth bokeh like the other 2. Perhaps it gives the apparent impression that it draws the in focus subject far sharper than the OOF areas.


I find 43ltd to be a good walk around lens.
A bit on the tight FOV of things, but still very usable for walk arounds.
More like a 'tight normal' or a 'single subject / portrait orientated' walk about lens.
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sorry for contributing to the topicslide, but in my opinion the 43mm Ltd is the best of the FA Limiteds for digital. It's focal length is a bit longer than the intended "perfect normal" on APS-C, but it fits in a nice slot between a "walk around" and "special occasion" (portrait) lens, while being excellent at both. It also comes without the size (and hood) of the 31 or the purple fringies of the 77. That makes it even more comfortable to just point at things and see what it shows you.

It's also a great "gateway drug" for the inevitable collection of all the Limiteds. :evil:
I have more corner CA on the 43 than either the 31 or the 77. My first copy of 43 had CA in the center as well, but the latest copy only exhibits CA in the corner (goes away at around f4).
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,114
How much 'pixie dust' is in the FA Limited 43mm 1.9?

Try it on a film camera and find the real truth; you guys don’t know what you are missing.

Phil.
.
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,435
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The 31ltd seems special, that extra smooth bokeh and wide FOV seems to give the subject isolation 'pop' that imo is better than say a FA35/2 even when both are shot at about the same f-stop and subject distance (eg. f2-2.5) .
Not sure why I don't see any difference.

FA35 @f2


FA31 @f1.8


05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Not sure why I don't see any difference.
Nor can I, but thats possibly because I cant see the images you posted.

But no shortage of dust in Bangalore, in any case.
05-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,435
I can see both images, in case, here is links to both images. First one FA35, second FA31

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1324/fa35f2250iso100.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5831/fa31f18320iso100.jpg
05-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #26
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I can see both images, in case, here is links to both images. First one FA35, second FA31

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1324/fa35f2250iso100.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5831/fa31f18320iso100.jpg
Interesting... The FA31 appears a little sharper with more pleasing colours to my eyes.

I have all three FA and I would rate them in the following order: (1) 77, (2) 43 and (3) 31.

Lightroom reveals I use the FA43 more than twice as much as the FA77 and FA31 together.

If I'm using only one lens for the day it is usually the FA43 probably due to its size and relatively useful focal length.
05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
What? No love for the DA 35 Macro ltd? Do you guys realize that this lens is more modern then the FA's, and therefore utilizes SMD technology? (Super Multi Dusted: a unique combo of Pixie, Fairy and Elf -dust.)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously: I still own the DA35ltd and owned the FA43ltd, and I found that the DA35ltd renders slightly sharper. (Ducks behind desk.) But my copy of the FA43ltd could have been not so good, off course.

And I can confirm what was stated before. In my case, I was (unintentionally) able to sell my FA43 with a little bit of a profit! Jeeejjj Ebay!
05-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote
Interesting... The FA31 appears a little sharper with more pleasing colours to my eyes.
Hmm! I wonder if you would have come to the same conclusion in a blind comparison. I can see the photos now, and truly I can't see much difference. Admittedly, its hard to see any difference in web sized snapshots such as these. The differences are more likely to be seen in OOF highlights and trying lighting. The FA35, though, with a metal body and three extra aperture blades would be a match for the FA 31.
05-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Hmm! I wonder if you would have come to the same conclusion in a blind comparison. I can see the photos now, and truly I can't see much difference. Admittedly, its hard to see any difference in web sized snapshots such as these. The differences are more likely to be seen in OOF highlights and trying lighting. The FA35, though, with a metal body and three extra aperture blades would be a match for the FA 31.
I think your observation is correct. However, I don't think the test photo is a particularly good sample. I believe the reason why FA31 is so highly regarded is due to its wide FOV coupled with a smooth Bokeh. I would like to see a close-range portrait at f2.0 under good (non-harsh) lighting condition.
05-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,435
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I think your observation is correct. However, I don't think the test photo is a particularly good sample. I believe the reason why FA31 is so highly regarded is due to its wide FOV coupled with a smooth Bokeh. I would like to see a close-range portrait at f2.0 under good (non-harsh) lighting condition.
Personally I feel FA31 is highly overrated lens. If you like FOV and smooth bokeh, Sigma 30/1.4 can produce much better results than FA31.

I have close range portraits comparison too which I remember posting here but somehow not able to find now, conduces the same - no difference, FA35 is in fact a bit more sharper at f2. I no longer have access to FA31 but maybe someone having both FA31 & FA35 should post some portraits and I am sure it will conclude the same.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
43mm, da, dust, fa, k-mount, lot, love, macro, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official Pentax Forums "Pixie Dust" Lens List Winnie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 10-24-2016 03:52 AM
The Pixie Dust Lens Club selar Lens Clubs 45 11-30-2014 01:26 PM
No pixie dust but it works wildman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-25-2011 09:26 PM
Pixie Dust yusuf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 529 06-03-2011 10:10 PM
Rendering and Pixie Dust GlennG Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 65 02-06-2011 02:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top